SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Redfish

Cash: 832
Default Looking for Duck or Goose lease in Lake Charles area.

Hey guys, i've been looking to get on a decent piece of property or huntclub so I can throw some steel at some birds, but have been having a difficult time finding places. I've got a budget, so i'm looking for something under six hundred for a season.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Redfish

Cash: 832

When I say LC area, I mean anywhere in SW LA.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Man I hate to tell you but you will not find something BAD for 600 bucks a season. 600 bucks might buy you 1 or 2 guided hunts with an outfitter. For the most part, all average leases are taken and are expensive. I hunt in the Kaplan area. It is a rice field lease and we pay 5K a year and it is nothing special. Best way is to try to get in a lease with someone you know. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,074

In this town, they would pay you to kill Birds.

BEND, Ore. — A memorial service is planned to mourn the 109 Canada geese euthanized to keep the birds from overrunning parks in an Oregon city.

The service will take place Thursday evening at the Galveston Bridge in Bend's Drake Park. An invitation to the event says those in attendance can offer prayers, play music or participate in moments of silence for the geese.

"I think a memorial like this will help people console each other," Bend resident Foster Fell told the Bend Bulletin newspaper. "I, myself, in the last few days have been nursing a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat."

The Bulletin reported that the birds were put in garbage-can-sized containers last week and gassed with carbon dioxide. The U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife approved that approach after local park officials spent months trying unsuccessfully to reduce the local goose population in other ways.

Those methods included chasing the geese with dogs, shooting at them with paintball guns and putting oil on goose eggs to prevent them from hatching.

The biggest problem being caused by the geese: An unsightly mess of droppings left all over the grass in Bend parks. Officials said the city had to spend $22,000 cleaning up after the geese in 2009.

"I understand that Park & Recreation thought there were too many geese, but I'm struck that the crimes of the geese that got them executed was basically defecating on the grass at Drake Park," local writer Mary Sojourner told the Bulletin.

Bend Park & Recreation District Board Chairman Scott Wallace said it is unfortunate the parks can't support all the geese and acknowledged that killing the geese was controversial.

"While it wasn't put out on the ballot to who wants to vote for and against this plan, we heard loud and clear from the majority of people who gave input that we needed to do something," he told the Bulletin. "Clearly, there's people that are passionate on both sides of it. It's, again, unfortunate, but we haven't done this in a vacuum."

Last edited by BananaTom; 07-08-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSteelsetter View Post
Hey guys, i've been looking to get on a decent piece of property or huntclub so I can throw some steel at some birds, but have been having a difficult time finding places. I've got a budget, so i'm looking for something under six hundred for a season.
Not going to find it friend, rice fields are by the blind and anything worth spending money on starts at $3,500 and goes North of that. If you find anything for lease it was let go for a reason other than finances. Marsh acreage is leased by the acre and anything that is worth leasing Is. Most land companies are reluctant to lease to new individuals, preferring to allow current lessees to pick up anything new. I may need help on our lease that I would be willing to trade for hunts. We had a decent season last year so the sweat equity would definately pay off.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:41 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

You can foget gettin anything for 600. Plenty of great public oppurtunitys though. You can use that 600 for gas and shells all season long.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
You can foget gettin anything for 600. Plenty of great public oppurtunitys though. You can use that 600 for gas and shells all season long.
TUCK the reserves, I will sell everything I have if that is the only place to hunt.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
TUCK the reserves, I will sell everything I have if that is the only place to hunt.
TUCK sitting in the same piece of metal day in and day out looking at the same crap - explore man!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

If u only wanna spend $600, u should try and get 3 or 4 more buddies together and all go in on something. That way u only spend about $1k
Old 07-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Swordfish

I spend $600 just on shells a year probably
Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
TUCK sitting in the same piece of metal day in and day out looking at the same crap - explore man!
But I do, just in Private marsh without the jackazzes.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,549

Yep splittin would be the way to go...hard pressed to find anything for the amount. Its just the way it is!! Years ago a cheap blind could produce now $$$ gets you the quacks and sometimes not even $$$ will getcha quacks either!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 07-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Then quit shooting all them SPOONS and BLACK JACKS......
Old 07-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
We didnt shoot many spoins. It's whiteville that's full of spoons. My cousin got a blind out there and u shoot a good bit of geese, but 95% of the ducks u shoot are spoons.

Now blackjacks, we did annialate them. They showed up at the end of the year at one hole we have. U could shoot 100 in a hunt if u wanted. Better than shooting nothing. Like on one of those Duckman videos. "it's raining jacks." and I call both ringnecks and scaup blackjacks. So don't
worry junior gamewardens.

We mainly shoot teal, greys, mottles
Old 07-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
We didnt shoot many spoins. It's whiteville that's full of spoons. My cousin got a blind out there and u shoot a good bit of geese, but 95% of the ducks u shoot are spoons.

Now blackjacks, we did annialate them. They showed up at the end of the year at one hole we have. U could shoot 100 in a hunt if u wanted. Better than shooting nothing. Like on one of those Duckman videos. "it's raining jacks." and I call both ringnecks and scaup blackjacks. So don't
worry junior gamewardens, I know the limit on scaup.

We mainly shoot teal, greys, mottles and a a few tree ducks and mallards.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Great White

I hear you. I had some days that I would of been happy to shoot spoons.....matter of fact when I shoot spoons I only shoot the HENS.....gotta try to delete the population....
Old 07-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424
Default Sweat Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Not going to find it friend, rice fields are by the blind and anything worth spending money on starts at $3,500 and goes North of that. If you find anything for lease it was let go for a reason other than finances. Marsh acreage is leased by the acre and anything that is worth leasing Is. Most land companies are reluctant to lease to new individuals, preferring to allow current lessees to pick up anything new. I may need help on our lease that I would be willing to trade for hunts. We had a decent season last year so the sweat equity would definately pay off.
Just call me Mr. Raymond, I Will Work for a Hunt.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottogo49 View Post
Just call me Mr. Raymond, I Will Work for a Hunt.
Will do, gotts yo #
There is going to be plenty of work in Oct to go around. If Ebamo has his way, I may be buying a Smart Car with a luggage rack to go back and forth to G/C.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Quote:
You miss that much?? Must be like me, bent barrel?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
I call both ringnecks and scaup blackjacks. So don't
worry junior gamewardens, I know the limit on scaup.
ringnecks are good eatin

I agree that most of the public land hunting is hard work but can pay off big if you have the right equipment.