SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Cash: 1,526

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1bienvenu View Post
Can you keep anything there?

X2 I can't find any info on this???
Old 03-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

you can keep the fish. They have signs posted in Hodges Gardens. I think the limit was 8 and the slot s 14-18" or something like that. Dont remember.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Cash: 1,526

Went there Saturday wind was blowing about 30kts thru a baby brush hog from the bank caught 1 baby... Beautiful lake!!!!!!!

I will go back!!!! Great grass didn't see any structure in the lake but again I was on the bank...

As for as regulations the lady at the gate said they follow the same rules as Toledo Bend.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 851

I was looking at the website and came across this :" Due to a generous donation from the Hodges Foundation, our waterfalls are working again , just in time for spring"
Old 02-11-2016, 11:37 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,668

I did a search and found this post, my wife booked a cabin for next weekend. I didn't see anything about no shiners but no trolling motors for rental boats for sure. I am more of a sac a lait fisherman than bass although I ain't scared to catch green trout! seems that the lake is a pretty good fishery reading you guys post.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:16 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065

I fished there two years ago with some friends. the Boats had trolling motors then, but the night before we fished there was a storm and they didn't get fully charged.....was a fun paddle back across the lake....against the wind of course! I caught several nice bass on a slow day. Water was very clear when i was there.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:53 PM
Tripletail

They should be up and spawning both bass and sacs. Either way it'll be a fun get away!
Old 02-12-2016, 07:37 AM
Flounder

Cash: 673

My grandfather was the designer for the gardens, and instead of payment, my family got to stay at the lodge for free, as long as some member was still alive. We went there throughout my youth, for 7-10 days at a time. When the Hodges' donated the park to the state, this ended, but, we still went a few years back.

Best fishing spots are easy to find, but the boats with trolling motors are slow at best. For sac a lait, use a jigging pole and crickets, go to the 2 water towers, one is located on the north end, one on the south, water is about 35-45' deep, tie up to the towers, watch for wasps, drop down deep. HUGE fish there, we caught until we were tired. As for bream, we always had luck fishing near the little light house by the gardens, there are plenty of beds there.

The last time we went, the grass had really taken over the lake, and the gardens had put some carp in the lake to try and clean it all up.

My suggestions, walk the gardens, it really is a cool place, pending it's not all over grown. Trails to hike, good for a bike ride around the lake, think it's like 13-14 miles long, lots of hills. Fish... All the banks that have trees hanging, hold bass. When we used to go back in the 80's-90's, we would be 35-50 people, big family, and it would literally take us a solid 6 hours to clean all the fish we caught over the time we were there.

I loved that place growing up, wish my kids could spend as much time there as we did, sometimes we would go 2-3 times a summer. No phones, no TV, just a lot of togetherness, sometimes it worked, sometimes everyone fought, wouldn't change it for the world.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:21 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 633

Went there yesterday. Bite was slower than usual, I caught 2 momma bass in shallows full of eggs, threw them back.. 1 was prolly 4-5# range. Best place to fish for bass in spring is around the cabins. Nice sand pods in about 1-4' of water.

Boat dock is closed due to funding. No trolling motors allowed on lake. Rent a canoe or small bass hunter style boat.

Fee is 5.00 per person. Ice is available at pay station. Lake "closes" at sunset Sun-Thur, open til 9:00PM on Fri & Sat night. If you rent a cabin, I guess the times don't matter.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:23 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrsmail View Post
Went there yesterday. Bite was slower than usual, I caught 2 momma bass in shallows full of eggs, threw them back.. 1 was prolly 4-5# range. Best place to fish for bass in spring is around the cabins. Nice sand pods in about 1-4' of water.

Boat dock is closed due to funding. No trolling motors allowed on lake. Rent a canoe or small bass hunter style boat.

Fee is 5.00 per person. Ice is available at pay station. Lake "closes" at sunset Sun-Thur, open til 9:00PM on Fri & Sat night. If you rent a cabin, I guess the times don't matter.
What about live bait? wonder if they allow shiners? I hear there are kayaks there also, the canoe's I see in some pics look like those really tipsy ones from Academy, although I was going to bring my pirogue and can't get much tipsier than that!:*****:
Old 02-12-2016, 04:25 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 633

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMigues View Post
What about live bait? wonder if they allow shiners? I hear there are kayaks there also, the canoe's I see in some pics look like those really tipsy ones from Academy, although I was going to bring my pirogue and can't get much tipsier than that!:*****:
No outside boats allowed. They don't want outside algae..

Not sure on live bait, I've never been searched or asked.. Never seen anyone fishing with live though. Prolly not allowed.