SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
And this is because the flyway is changing. Oklahoma is now a duck hunting state because of this, once people figure this, it will get pressured, Kansas as well. Again, you are talking MALLARDS, that is what is killed there. The odds of them getting 6 species of ducks on a hunt is nil
No I'm not talking mallards. They killed a few, but it was mostly widgeon, redheads, and greys. You would surprised at how mixed their bags were on the public land ponds. I agree the flyway and migration patters are changing
Old 03-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I will disagree with you on that..........I been duck hunting since the age of 7 years old

I would say a Mallard is top 5 easiest to kill...but Black Mallard (molted duck) is the Hardest

Easiest Ducks to kill over my years of hunting are

#1 Teal
#2 Spoonbills
#3 Gray Ducks
#4 Mallards
#5 PinTail
You duck hunt like 3 times a year. What else you gonna kill besides those 5 ducks? Woodies which are easy. Widgeons which when they are around are easy. And maybe some open water ducks which are all stupid. Pintail are pretty easy to kill. We shoot 100s in Mexico. And a good bit in PI. I agree though, a mottle duck is also one of the hardest to kill.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
No park, no lease. I just don't see why the love for a mallard
It makes for a cool picture to put on Facebook while holding your gun with the meat stick sticker on it lol. If I had my pick of any strap of birds, I'll take 2 wood ducks and the rest squealers
Old 03-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
You duck hunt like 3 times a year. What else you gonna kill besides those 5 ducks? Woodies which are easy. Widgeons which when they are around are easy. And maybe some open water ducks which are all stupid. Pintail are pretty easy to kill. We shoot 100s in Mexico. And a good bit in PI. I agree though, a mottle duck is also one of the hardest to kill.
Last post on this, but if ducks are shortstopping and all how is it that Mexico gets hundreds of thousands of ducks each and every year?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
It makes for a cool picture to put on Facebook while holding your gun with the meat stick sticker on it lol. If I had my pick of any strap of birds, I'll take 2 wood ducks and the rest squealers
This is the truth! The internet is KILLING duck hunting. People posting pictures and they may hunt 30 times and have 3 'good' hunts. They don't post the bad days they post the good and people think they are just killing the heck out of ducks.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:28 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
Why not 3 wood ducks?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
I haven't hunted as much the last few years because fishing has been so good....but when I hunted for 7 years on the Lac. Company we had 18 blinds and I hunted just about every day.....I have a picture album with solo hunts I made with all green heads and hens....I use to hunt every afternoon and kill just mallards...

I made 7 duck hunts not counting teal season and we killed mallard every trip

Now I only keep teal and woodies..
Old 03-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Ling

1. Total ducks killed in Atlantic Flyway
2. On the right = Total ducks killed in Louisiana
3. On the bottom = Total ducks killed in Central Flyway (includes TX, OK, and Kansas)

We killed more ducks than the ENTIRE Atlantic Flyway
We killed more ducks that the ENTIRE Central Flyway
We have been on a net INCREASE of ducks dying since 2005
Central Flyway is going down, Louisiana is UP

One more thing is that whenever people talk about the 'good ol days' most are talking the 1970s. Look at that compared to now. We are in the good ol days
Attached Images
File Type: png chart.png (25.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: png chart2.png (30.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: png chart3.png (30.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 03-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Good ol days did not mean more ducks just ment less hunters ...like one rice field blind per 500 acres.....now you have 30 or 40 per 500 acres
Old 03-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Why not 3 wood ducks?
I like squealers a little more but I would still want a few wood ducks to pot roast. That good with you?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Ling

How many times you hear about Arkansas? or ALL the ducks are in Missouri?

1st one is Arkansas, 2nd is Missouri. We killed more than both combined

/rant.
Attached Images
File Type: png Arkansas.png (26.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: png Missouri.png (29.8 KB, 61 views)
Old 03-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

so duck butt.. you telling me that the north dont kill any other species? i went to oklahoma this year and smashed the birds for 3 days with 5 people... killed 3 mallards the whole time.. and biologists were amazed that we killed our bellies everyday.. and as for killing other species, we killed mainly wigeon and pintail, and as for as a mallard being a park duck and easy to kill, when was the last time you killed your limit of straight mallards? what about a grey duck, you cant tell me they dont come in your face to die... and to argue about the number of ducks we kill is just straight ignorant.. we all know that louisiana kills more ducks do to the number of hunters, it is in our heritage and culture.. other states cant say that they have that like us.. bottom line is everybody has different points of view about this but we all have one thing in common, to help us people form louisiana have a better hunting season! so for you to sit and argue about numbers is completely irrelevant...
Old 03-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Tripletail

duckbutt, go somewhere else with all those graphs..
Old 03-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Tripletail

"W", where did you hunt for the company?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
so duck butt.. you telling me that the north dont kill any other species? i went to oklahoma this year and smashed the birds for 3 days with 5 people... killed 3 mallards the whole time.. and biologists were amazed that we killed our bellies everyday.. and as for killing other species, we killed mainly wigeon and pintail, and as for as a mallard being a park duck and easy to kill, when was the last time you killed your limit of straight mallards? what about a grey duck, you cant tell me they dont come in your face to die... and to argue about the number of ducks we kill is just straight ignorant.. we all know that louisiana kills more ducks do to the number of hunters, it is in our heritage and culture.. other states cant say that they have that like us.. bottom line is everybody has different points of view about this but we all have one thing in common, to help us people form louisiana have a better hunting season! so for you to sit and argue about numbers is completely irrelevant...

here is some hunts from one of my buddies in Oklahoma the past few years
Old 03-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,316

Guy's yall got a great debate going here. Watch the name calling please.

I agree with W on the good old days statement. When I was in my 20's I would hunt almost everyday of the season. We hunt a salt/brackish marsh. Our main birds were teal, gadwall and widgeon. Limits were easy. But, we hardly ever saw another hunter in the area. Now there are 6 blinds in that area.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
"W", where did you hunt for the company?
I didnt hunt for the Company I use to farm it with Paul Watson... from 95-00 and hunted till 2002
Old 03-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Tripletail

im buddies with those guys u just posted up... i was just curious cause i been hunting on the plant for goin on 12 yrs
Old 03-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Want to talk about Good Ol Days

My dad hunted in Pine Island on the Garbarino Farm for years....... I recall one day we got there (must of been a Fri Afternoon) and the Old man Garbarino told my dad he wanted a all Pintail to cook for Saturday football games...... So Me , My Dad, Dads Buddy and Cousin all walked to the blind from the camp and killed all pintail in no time it seemed

I was only about 10 maybe and shooting a signal shot 4-10 , but can recall asking why I could not shoot those green heads and had to shoot the long head ducks only..

Back then it was a points system and you could shoot the hell out of birds.......That Place in Pine Island was a duck heaven and now you cant buy a duck there......
Old 03-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
im buddies with those guys u just posted up... i was just curious cause i been hunting on the plant for goin on 12 yrs

I hunted from when you turned on the plant road all the way till the 4 Corner...all the stuff on the right..

Me and Gayland Klumpp made that marsh blind in the back off the Bell City Drain Ditch........