SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default who knows about where to use latex house paint?

yes I know, USE IT ON YOUR HOUSE. yuk yuk yuk now to be serious:

I have some extra (4 gallons) walmart brand "Color Place Exterior Flat latex Paint, White" and I was going to use it for the interior of the house. its left over from a 5 gallon bucket so I cant return it and I figured I would use it for the ceilings and trim inside the house.

somebody told me not to use it inside because exterior latex paint is different and I should go buy some interior paint for inside. I know in the past exterior was oil based so there was good reason you didn't want to use it inside but since everything is latex paint now, so my question is, is there really a reason any more not to use the exterior latex paint inside and if so why?

If I was buying new paint I would buy it for its intended use and I realize exterior latex is still made a little different to stand up to being outside but does that make it not suitable for interior use?

any painters or paint contractors out there can clue me in as to the do's and don'ts of latex paints?
Old 08-08-2014, 07:18 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

Use it on walls only if you want a flat finish, which no one does these days. My opinion, store it to do touch ups outside. Buy new paint for interior.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:21 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulox86 View Post
Use it on walls only if you want a flat finish, which no one does these days. My opinion, store it to do touch ups outside. Buy new paint for interior.
so there is no reason not to use exterior latex on the inside except for the finish being flat then?

I actually don't mind flat paint inside for bathrooms because the walls don't collect water and drip when it gets steamed up in there.

I hadn't thought about the finish question so im glad you mentioned it, i'll have to buy some semi gloss for doing the ceilings and doors and i'll have to give it more thought if I want every room to have flat finish walls but to me color is more important then finish so I think I would be happy with any paint finish especially if it saves me $100 on new paint.

I have mixed flat with gloss 50/50 before to make semi-gloss paint but I don't suppose there is any simple "sheen" additive to put in it to turn flat paint into semi-gloss is there?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

Use it as a primer inside.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by latravcha View Post
Use it as a primer inside.
I thought raw sheetrock HAD to have a primer coat to seal it first or the regular paint would just peel right off of the compounded areas?

I don't know anything about paint or painting
Old 08-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

I dont know about that but I have used extra paint as a primer before and had no issues. Dont know what color it is but if it is a darker color you dont want to prime with it.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

The flat latex you have can be used as a primer on raw sheetrock because the vinyl primer that is formulated for priming is basically a lower-end acrylic flat designed to keep the sheetrock from absorbing the finish. Very little "priming" involved.

As far as using your paint inside....it's perfectly fine. Folks don't use flat/matte finish anymore, tho. Even on ceilings they use satin...mostly because it brings out the texture on a skip troweled ceiling. On walls and trim, the satin is able to be wiped...flat, not so much. You'll actually wipe the paint off the surface tryin' to clean it. The reason the moisture shows on satin/semi-gloss walls in bathrooms is because the paint is blocking it from soaking into the sheetrock. Flat paint in a bathroom is NOT a good idea. It's prolly more porous than the sheetrock, itself. It will eventually begin to peel.

Good luck and holler at me if you have any questions and, remember...paint is only as good as the surface you put it on.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
The flat latex you have can be used as a primer on raw sheetrock because the vinyl primer that is formulated for priming is basically a lower-end acrylic flat designed to keep the sheetrock from absorbing the finish. Very little "priming" involved.

As far as using your paint inside....it's perfectly fine. Folks don't use flat/matte finish anymore, tho. Even on ceilings they use satin...mostly because it brings out the texture on a skip troweled ceiling. On walls and trim, the satin is able to be wiped...flat, not so much. You'll actually wipe the paint off the surface tryin' to clean it. The reason the moisture shows on satin/semi-gloss walls in bathrooms is because the paint is blocking it from soaking into the sheetrock. Flat paint in a bathroom is NOT a good idea. It's prolly more porous than the sheetrock, itself. It will eventually begin to peel.

Good luck and holler at me if you have any questions and, remember...paint is only as good as the surface you put it on.

thanks, that's great news, at least using it as primer will not go to waste.

the bathroom I painted was over around 6 or 7 coats of other paints so I think I avoided the moisture passing through it issue. because of its dull finish it doesnt show surface moisture or let it drip or run (nobody ever turn on the damn vent in there but me ) so that's why I thought it was great. glad to learn flat paint is not a sealer so I should NOT do that for bathrooms and other wet areas like kitchens and laundry rooms.

can you tell me the best applications for gloss vs semi gloss?

im trying to understand how to choose the best overall finish to use all throughout the house for durability, cleanup, and long lasting?

also, did I make a mistake using flat for the exterior of the house? its all exterior treated T1-11 plywood so should I go over all of it with spraying on a clear sealer and if so what would you suggest?

Last edited by keakar; 08-08-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
thanks, that's great news, at least using it as primer will not go to waste.

the bathroom I painted was over around 6 or 7 coats of other paints so I think I avoided the moisture passing through it issue. because of its dull finish it doesnt show surface moisture or let it drip or run (nobody ever turn on the damn vent in there but me ) so that's why I thought it was great. glad to learn flat paint is not a sealer so I should NOT do that for bathrooms and other wet areas like kitchens and laundry rooms.

can you tell me the best applications for gloss vs semi gloss?

im trying to understand how to choose the best overall finish to use all throughout the house for durability, cleanup, and long lasting?

also, did I make a mistake using flat for the exterior of the house? its all exterior treated T1-11 plywood so should I go over all of it with spraying on a clear sealer and if so what would you suggest?

The acrylic will do ok on the T1-11. After a few years of normal wear it will begin to take on that "stain" look...which a lot of people like. No need for any sealer cause I don't think you'd want any sheen.

Semi-gloss vs gloss..........

Gloss finishes kinda come and go as far as popularity. Contrary to what you might have heard...it is no more durable than semi or even satin. In fact, as far as staying put on a properly prepared surface...the flat acrylic will outlast them all. It's just not stain resistant. Satin is a subtle sheen that will suffice in any home. The secret is to put an adequate amount of paint...usually 2 even coats. It's tough as nails and doesn't tend to show every flaw in the sheetrock or trim.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
The acrylic will do ok on the T1-11. After a few years of normal wear it will begin to take on that "stain" look...which a lot of people like. No need for any sealer cause I don't think you'd want any sheen.

Semi-gloss vs gloss..........

Gloss finishes kinda come and go as far as popularity. Contrary to what you might have heard...it is no more durable than semi or even satin. In fact, as far as staying put on a properly prepared surface...the flat acrylic will outlast them all. It's just not stain resistant. Satin is a subtle sheen that will suffice in any home. The secret is to put an adequate amount of paint...usually 2 even coats. It's tough as nails and doesn't tend to show every flaw in the sheetrock or trim.

ok, thanks
Old 08-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Good luck K.
Good info Salty
If I may add one thing? If your wife ever wants you to sponge paint a room pack your stuff and leave.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:30 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Good luck K.
Good info Salty
If I may add one thing? If your wife ever wants you to sponge paint a room pack your stuff and leave.
If she mentions the word "faux"......shoot yourself.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:51 AM
Email Address Not Verified

Cash: 1,005

Quote:
so there is no reason not to use exterior latex on the inside except for the finish being flat then?

I actually don't mind flat paint inside for bathrooms because the walls don't collect water and drip when it gets steamed up in there.

I hadn't thought about the finish question so im glad you mentioned it, i'll have to buy some semi gloss for doing the ceilings and doors and i'll have to give it more thought if I want every room to have flat finish walls but to me color is more important then finish so I think I would be happy with any paint finish especially if it saves me $100 on new paint.

I have mixed flat with gloss 50/50 before to make semi-gloss paint but I don't suppose there is any simple "sheen" additive to put in it to turn flat paint into semi-gloss is there?

Just remember a flat finish WILL show every single finger print hand print or smuge of anything that touches it! this is the reason most don't use flat inside a home and if they don't want the finish to be shiny like semi gloss or satin they usually just go with an EGGSHELL finish because while this one isn't shiny it doesn't show the places where the wall has been touched like a flat finish will
Old 08-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyPrejean87 View Post
Just remember a flat finish WILL show every single finger print hand print or smuge of anything that touches it! this is the reason most don't use flat inside a home and if they don't want the finish to be shiny like semi gloss or satin they usually just go with an EGGSHELL finish because while this one isn't shiny it doesn't show the places where the wall has been touched like a flat finish will

Eggshell and satin are pretty much the same finish. Some manufacturers call it "satin"...some "eggshell". Both are pretty durable and, like you said...won't make the smudges part of the décor.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Eggshell and satin are pretty much the same finish. Some manufacturers call it "satin"...some "eggshell". Both are pretty durable and, like you said...won't make the smudges part of the décor.
Satin had a slight more shiny finish then eggshell it's right in between flat and satin go to your local pant retailer they can show you the differences all next to each other on an example pallet only way you can actually tell the difference between them is when they are next to each other
Old 08-10-2014, 12:29 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyPrejean87 View Post
Satin had a slight more shiny finish then eggshell it's right in between flat and satin go to your local pant retailer they can show you the differences all next to each other on an example pallet only way you can actually tell the difference between them is when they are next to each other

LOL!!! I went to my "local paint retailer" 3-4 days a week for 30 years. Anyway...whatever.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Red Snapper

thanks for the help guys

I finally got a chance to talk to the guy down the street who use to be a painter by trade and he said all they ever used in all the houses he painted was exclusively flat paint only in every single room in the house for ceilings and the walls and trim no matter what ,so I guess everyone has their own opinions of what can and cant be used.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
thanks for the help guys

I finally got a chance to talk to the guy down the street who use to be a painter by trade and he said all they ever used in all the houses he painted was exclusively flat paint only in every single room in the house for ceilings and the walls and trim no matter what ,so I guess everyone has their own opinions of what can and cant be used.

I agree with him. Every new house built here in Lafayette is painted with flat or eggshell. That's been the style for the last 10 years. It just gives a softer feel to the rooms. I don't know of anyone that uses satin or semi gloss on walls but they do use it on the trim. Satin in kitchens and baths is good though.

Last edited by redaddiction; 08-10-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
LOL!!! I went to my "local paint retailer" 3-4 days a week for 30 years. Anyway...whatever.
Well I only sold paint every day 6 days a week for 8 to 10 hrs a day for 7 years so I guess I need to still learn a few things right?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
http://www.san-antonio-painting.com/paint-sheens.php

Flat Finish - 0 to 5% gloss
A paint with a flat surface that does not reflect light and generally used on ceilings and walls of formal rooms. Flat finishes are usually non-washable and cleaning is not advised.

Matte / Velvet Finish - 5 to 10% gloss
A durable paint with a flat, non-glossy finish usually used for walls. Matte finishes can endure light cleaning, but heavy cleaning is not recommended.

Eggshell Finish - 10 to 25% gloss
A durable paint with a low sheen and gloss reminiscent of an eggshell. Eggshell finishes are normally used on walls, have a slightly higher sheen level than flat, and clean better than flat finishes as they can endure moderate level cleaning.

Pearl or Satin Finish - 25 to 35% gloss
A durable paint with a smooth, velvety gloss texture. Satin can be used in high traffic areas because it can hold up to heavy cleaning and light scrubbing, and is most often used for doors, windows, and other trim.

Semi-gloss - 35 to 70% gloss
Paint with a semi-gloss finish goes on smoothly and has a nice gleam without being too dramatic. Trim, doors, windows and cabinets are the surfaces most often applied with semi-gloss.

Gloss - 70 to 85% gloss
Gloss paint has a has a shinier finish than semi-gloss and is popular for trims, doors and cabinets. Careful attention should be given to prep work and undercoats to create a smooth surface for glossy paint.

High-gloss - 85% gloss and higher
This highly luminous sheen has the greatest amount of gloss and looks almost like plastic. High-gloss paint certainly offers durability and washability, making it ideal for cabinets in the kitchen or bathroom. The reflective surface of this paint finish really exaggerates imperfections, so prep work is important to a clean polished look.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________

wait upon researching a little looks like I was right! there is a difference in the sheens its not just that some companies call one one thing and some other companies call it another!

thanks for trying though I was really hoping I would have learned something new beings you have SO MANY more years on my experience level......
Old 08-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Flounder

Cash: 683

Good information . thanks