SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 07-17-2014, 05:52 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074
Default Canyon Bay Boats

Been looking for a new boat for a while now. Done lots of reading on other sites and it seems that a Canyon Bay is the name that pops up the most when your looking for a shallow draft bay boat with offshore capabilities. I found one I can test out but its down in Corpus. I am pretty sure I'm gonna like it but I was just wondering if anyone from around here has seen or been in one? This is what I am looking at

http://canyonbayboats.com/?page_id=352

Anyone see any down side to are a reason they aren't too popular in Louisiana? Any opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Redfish

Cash: 776

It looks like a nice boat. I wish manufacturers were more consistent with the model numbers they use. When I see something called a 2470 I expect I to be a full if not something over 24' in length. In this case the boat is not even 23 1/2 ' in length.

I also question their draft number. I am not sure which is more correct but look at this boat compared to a Pure Bay 2400.

The Pure Bay specs say that it is 4" wider, a foot longer, and weighs 100# less. The Pure Bay and Canyon both say draft is 12". While hull design plays a role in draft for sure it is hard for me to believe that the Canyon can displace the same amount of water compared to the Pure Bay when it weighs more AND is narrower and shorter. The engineer in me says something aint right. More weight distributed over a smaller surface area means more draft.

Again not saying one is correct compared to the other just that on the surface they seem to have the same draft. Practically that seems wrong in this case. And it is dang rare for a boat builder to overestimate their draft!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:46 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 565

I had a Canyon Bay boat a few years ago, the company went kinda belly up in 2009 and the molds where sold. I had the 21 footer they made flats/bay style boat,a real high quality boat with a nice fit and finish and superior wiring that would rival a Yellowfin. Not real sure about the guys building the boat now, I do know they have built very few boats since the sell of the molds. A friend of mine in Florida said the last few years they have only built pre sold boats.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:12 PM
Tripletail

Thanks for the feedback. I've seen more than owner say the actual draft is 13". Still not bad with a deadrise of 18.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Tripletail

I found a 2009 demo in Texas. I am going to check it out next week. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Tripletail

Is it the one from Ron Hoover Marine?, if so it's a blue and white hull with a ETEC on the back. That boat was built by the original owners of Canyon Bay, not the present day owners. Marque that boat is the same exact hull I had just a few feet longer, make sure you ride that boat in a good chop. My boat did well in the marsh, but open water the boat did not do well at all with keeping you dry and is the reason I sold it. Not telling you not to get the boat just giving you and my honest opinion of the hull.

Last edited by specknation; 07-17-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:07 PM
Tripletail

That's it. Thanks for the heads up I'm gonna make sure to do that. I appreciate the heads up.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 748

You may want to post a thread on TheHullTruth...
Old 07-20-2014, 08:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

They have a used one on THT. Nice looking boat
Old 07-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by latravcha View Post
They have a used one on THT. Nice looking boat
The Canyon Bay on THT is a different model than the one he is looking at, the one on the THT is the 2400 a way deeper boat than the 2470 which is the one at Ron Hoover for sale. Not trying to be a smarta&& just making sure you know.

Last edited by specknation; 07-20-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:43 PM
Tripletail

Drove to Rockport and looked at the boat. Got to test drive it and was super impressed with the boat and the way it handled. Took it out in some chop and it was everything I expected the boat to be. However there were some problems. The pictures on the internet were at least 4 years old. The boats finish was faded. It also had a custom made aluminum fly fishing pedestal bolted on the front which was in none of the pictures that were on the internet. There was some cosmetic scrapes and scratches on the bottom of the boat and a few other things that you would not expect to see from a boat that had as little use as what the dealer was saying it had. I decided to pass although I loved the boat. If I am going to spend that much money on a used boat it better be in mint condition and this boat was not that. I'd rather spend 10k more on a new boat and have the factory warranty. So I am still looking.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:20 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

Get a new boat an be done with it!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:49 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 792
Default What about an Epic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
Drove to Rockport and looked at the boat. Got to test drive it and was super impressed with the boat and the way it handled. Took it out in some chop and it was everything I expected the boat to be. However there were some problems. The pictures on the internet were at least 4 years old. The boats finish was faded. It also had a custom made aluminum fly fishing pedestal bolted on the front which was in none of the pictures that were on the internet. There was some cosmetic scrapes and scratches on the bottom of the boat and a few other things that you would not expect to see from a boat that had as little use as what the dealer was saying it had. I decided to pass although I loved the boat. If I am going to spend that much money on a used boat it better be in mint condition and this boat was not that. I'd rather spend 10k more on a new boat and have the factory warranty. So I am still looking.
I think the Epic is new on the market, but I've heard good things from a doc I know that owns one. Just a thought, I've never seen one.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:48 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

I would give epic a little more time on the market before purchasing one. I have heard not so good things.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Redfish

Cash: 776

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouchub View Post
I would give epic a little more time on the market before purchasing one. I have heard not so good things.
What he said.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266
Default Canyon Bay Boats

Boat quality is better judged by how the 5 year old models are holding up (researching classifieds), as opposed to how they look on the showroom, and expecting guys that made $40k mistakes to actually admit it.

Last edited by Goooh; 07-29-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Tripletail

I don't think epic makes a 24' boat. There are so many boats to choose from that it's hard to pic. The only think new in my price range is a blazer bay 2400. But the weight worries me. I have a friend that has a sea fox and loves it but I can't bring myself to like it enough to buy one. If I could find a Cape Bay 23 or a Canyon Bay 2400 or 2375 used but in good enough condition that would be ideal. Scout also make a 25' that's looks really good. I may just keep putting up with the one I have now until I can save enough to get a new one.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:12 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
I don't think epic makes a 24' boat. There are so many boats to choose from that it's hard to pic. The only think new in my price range is a blazer bay 2400. But the weight worries me. I have a friend that has a sea fox and loves it but I can't bring myself to like it enough to buy one. If I could find a Cape Bay 23 or a Canyon Bay 2400 or 2375 used but in good enough condition that would be ideal. Scout also make a 25' that's looks really good. I may just keep putting up with the one I have now until I can save enough to get a new one.

What do you have now, and what are you looking for that your current boat doesn't offer?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:26 AM
Tripletail

I have a 20' aluminum boat. When I bought it I had a 21' Cajun Bay Boat but blew the motor on it and got rid of the hull. My boat is great for fishing the marsh or canals but beats me to death any time I try to take on open water. I am looking for a Hybrid sort of Bay Boat. Something that doesn't draw a ton of water and can handle 2'-3' seas and doesn't weigh too much or have too much bow for a trolling motor. I like the idea of a rolled gunwale. I have a tendency to be hard on stuff so quality construction is a must. I don't mind paying for quality but I expect it to take a pounding. I probably should get something like a Gravois or a Guadet, just prefer the ride of a glass boat. I want something that isn't going to be a pain to tow also. I usually make a trip to Cocodrie and a couple trips to BL on my 14 days off, in addition to fishing VBay pretty regularly. There are a lot of factors in the equation I guess. Thats why I am not rushing into anything.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:36 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

What's your budget right now?