SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:53 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
No, that is just what every single ULL graduate says because they don't want ULL to close or be impacted in any way. It doesn't matter how many people McNeese puts in the local facilities or the over $300 million economic impact that McNeese has in SWLA. Bet it has more of an impact than most of the other 4 year universities, save for ULL, LSU, and Tulane. No way SELA, NWST, ULM, or NSU have that impact.

And no way a 2 yesr technical school would have that impact. Do things need to be cut and streamlined? Yes. But there is no reason for McNeese to go to a 2 year status. You want to make cuts? How about to the ridiculous number of schools in North Louisiana with the population there is in that region. You have LSUA, Louisiana College, NWST, ULM, LA TECH, Grambling, and LSUS all in that region. Why the hell do you need so many colleges in a region with the population that it has?

More people live in the I-10 cooridor than any other part of the state. Could ULL handle the load that it would have to take on if McNeese did not offer 4 year programs? Doubt it. I read somewhere that the main region that McNeese supports has something in the realm of 300-400k people. That's plenty big enough to support a 4 year university. And McNeese has the alumni to support the university.

Cut programs if necessary, or combine programs. But there are enough reasons to maintain McNeese as a 4 year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Everybody wants cuts but doesn't want cuts in their region. Mcneese should go. ULM, LSUA, LSUS, NW, Southeastern or Nicholls and all the historically black colleges. It's racist if you think about it. Segregation is over

That $300 million economic impact is just s number that was derived from someone at mcneese and probably exaggerated
Old 02-13-2016, 09:00 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
Everybody wants cuts but doesn't want cuts in their region. Mcneese should go. ULM, LSUA, LSUS, NW, Southeastern or Nicholls and all the historically black colleges. It's racist if you think about it. Segregation is over

That $300 million economic impact is just s number that was derived from someone at mcneese and probably exaggerated
When you're a troll, you troll. It's what you do.

If you want to save 15% or more on car insurance, you switch to GEICO.

It's what you do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2016, 01:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave 2200 View Post
Just curious, what is your reasoning behind this statement? Personal opinion or based on facts?
Mako just doesn't want to watch McNeese beat that a** in football next fall.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:19 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Here's the libertarian stance..

Government shouldn't pay for education of students, scholarships or not. Scholarships should be given privately and should not be handed out by the government. Charity should rule here.

Government shouldn't pay for food stamps. Charitable donations and the kindness of others replaces the mandatory tax collections used for this purpose.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave 2200 View Post
Just curious, what is your reasoning behind this statement? Personal opinion or based on facts?
A little bit of both. I knew it would ruffle some feathers (mainly yours) and was in the mood to stir the pot.

Honestly, McNeese isn't dragging down Louisiana education system nearly as much as the other Schools I mentioned.

I still believe LA only needs three (public) 4 year Universities with the rest of them either closing doors or becoming a feeder school like a JUCO, Technical College, or Community College.

However, NO politicIan has the balls to propose closing down Granby ing or Southern. That would be political suicide. They would rather allow the other universities in the state to erode away.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:28 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,557

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjaredsandwich View Post
Here's the libertarian stance..

Government shouldn't pay for education of students, scholarships or not. Scholarships should be given privately and should not be handed out by the government. Charity should rule here.

Government shouldn't pay for food stamps. Charitable donations and the kindness of others replaces the mandatory tax collections used for this purpose.
Yea, but they do! So since they are going to give hand outs what better way than through TOPS for a college education to a kid who has made acceptable grades in high school. Cut the other hand outs you mentioned (food stamps to citizens who choose not to work) before you start cutting funds to higher education. Higher education is literally the future of our state, nation, and ultimately human race.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:58 PM
Flounder

Cash: 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Wonder how much edwards paid dardenne to stay in the race to split the vote enough for a runoff?
$230,000 per year!
Old 02-13-2016, 09:30 PM
Flounder

Cash: 566
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
A little bit of both. I knew it would ruffle some feathers (mainly yours) and was in the mood to stir the pot.
It's all good. I agree something should be done to trim down the # of colleges.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:03 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Very SOON there will be an official petition drive to recall JBE.
Anyone interested in helping in the parish you reside in please contact me and let me know.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:27 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Babaz View Post
They could easily fix TOPS by making the first year TOPS students have to get a student loan for the first year... You make the grades, we pay off your loan. That way you wouldn't have tons of 18yr olds going to college just to party on the state's dime and then drop out.
Excellent ideas........however the politicians will never do it... It makes to much sense...