SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:16 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939
Default Lake Peigneur

Took the family out Saturday to knock the cobwebs off the boat. Decided to go to Lake Peigneur and do some mapping due to the history of the lake. I only mapped the deep area, but wow, there is a ton of standing timber underwater. It reminded me alot of a reservoir. Also found a bunch of cool features that were holding fish. Deepest part was 120ft.

No poles in the boat so, I will definitely have to go back and see what I can pull out of there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LP1.jpg (65.6 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg LP2.jpg (42.1 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg LP3.jpg (48.9 KB, 541 views)
File Type: jpg LP4.jpg (61.3 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg LP5.jpg (42.3 KB, 556 views)
Old 02-21-2016, 10:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

That deep spot is where the lake bed caved in, into the salt mine below, many years ago as I'm sure you know. But for those that don't see the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlrGkeOzsI
Old 02-21-2016, 10:56 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

Awesome!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2016, 01:28 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I worked for Texaco in Louisiana back when this happened. Later in my working career I worked with 2 men that were working at that mine at the time of the disaster.

I recall two of the events as being a little different.

1) The mine "cave in" came during shift change and there was nobody in the mine when it started filling up. The video said that everyone got out safely. The mine elevator can only bring up a few people at a time, so getting a whole crew up would have taken some time.

I had the experience of taking a tour with the mine Supervisor of the Cote Blanche salt mine [just east of Cypremort Point]. I think we went down about 900 feet and drove around to see the operation. The deeper you go, the hotter it gets. They said they could only go down a few hundred feet more, before it would get too hot to work. This would take many year of mine to get to that point. Where I worked, we got barge loads of salt from them about once a week.

2) There was a dispute as to who was at fault. The video said that Texaco made a mistake in determining where to drill. Surprise Surprise.....Texaco clamed that they drilled in the correct spot and that the mine shaft was not located where maps showed it to be.

Law suits were filled but before it was settled in court.... Texaco decided it would be cheaper to settle but not admit to any fault.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:56 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
That deep spot is where the lake bed caved in, into the salt mine below, many years ago as I'm sure you know. But for those that don't see the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlrGkeOzsI
Yep, since the there is no clean water in the 337 area code, I wanted to go mapping, given the history of the lake I decided to go see what it was like.

These are just screenshots, if anyone wants a higher quality pic let me know.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

You weren't far from my house, I live on the west side of the lake
Old 02-22-2016, 05:28 PM
Flounder

Cash: 646

Very neat! Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-22-2016, 08:56 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

That's amazing. I have been wanting to see that video for quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2016, 10:51 AM
Flounder

Cash: 568

Does anyone really fish the lake. I hadn't really seen much trafic out there. I figured it should hold some bass, and reds when the salt levels are a little higher
Old 02-23-2016, 03:12 PM
Redfish

Cash: 828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbug View Post
Does anyone really fish the lake. I hadn't really seen much trafic out there. I figured it should hold some bass, and reds when the salt levels are a little higher

I tried to fish the lake a few times, there's alot of jet ski traffic in the lake, frustrated the heck out of me...maybe y'all have more patience than me...
Old 02-23-2016, 04:14 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

Wow that mapping software is cool as hell! What did you use to do that?
Old 02-23-2016, 08:45 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I worked for Texaco in Louisiana back when this happened. Later in my working career I worked with 2 men that were working at that mine at the time of the disaster.

I recall two of the events as being a little different.

1) The mine "cave in" came during shift change and there was nobody in the mine when it started filling up. The video said that everyone got out safely. The mine elevator can only bring up a few people at a time, so getting a whole crew up would have taken some time.

I had the experience of taking a tour with the mine Supervisor of the Cote Blanche salt mine [just east of Cypremort Point]. I think we went down about 900 feet and drove around to see the operation. The deeper you go, the hotter it gets. They said they could only go down a few hundred feet more, before it would get too hot to work. This would take many year of mine to get to that point. Where I worked, we got barge loads of salt from them about once a week.

2) There was a dispute as to who was at fault. The video said that Texaco made a mistake in determining where to drill. Surprise Surprise.....Texaco clamed that they drilled in the correct spot and that the mine shaft was not located where maps showed it to be.

Law suits were filled but before it was settled in court.... Texaco decided it would be cheaper to settle but not admit to any fault.
There defiantly people in the mine when this occurred my entire family worked at the mine with the exception of my dad, but all three of his brothers and my grandfather worked there,all my uncles were part of the mine rescue team and one of my uncles was the last one out of the mines it was his job to make sure everyone had gotten out and as he was coming up the shaft on the elevator the water was three steps behind him trying to make it two. He told that story often.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:10 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Cool shots....I used to fish it about 10 years ago. Never caught anything in the super deep spots. Mostly around 10-20 foot.....catfish and sometimes redfish.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:58 PM
Redfish

Cash: 669

The folks that live on the lake catch redfish off their docks in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2016, 02:39 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfreak View Post
There defiantly people in the mine when this occurred my entire family worked at the mine with the exception of my dad, but all three of his brothers and my grandfather worked there,all my uncles were part of the mine rescue team and one of my uncles was the last one out of the mines it was his job to make sure everyone had gotten out and as he was coming up the shaft on the elevator the water was three steps behind him trying to make it two. He told that story often.
Thanks for the "corrected" information...... maybe I was told some incorrect stuff or my memory is bad of what happened.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
Wow that mapping software is cool as hell! What did you use to do that?
I used Reefmaster software.