SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Old 01-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829
Default Trout Population????

Ok..... Let me explain it to you like a 1st Grader!!!

Big Lake 13miles long... few miles wide!!!

I don’t care how much you fish or don’t fish you can only put a given amount of trout per square mile!!!! We have a 40ft ship channel that pushes hundreds of millions of gallons of water a day in and out!!! This brings food for everything in the estuary!!!

You quit fishing big lake today for 10 years and you will still only have the number of trout you can hold per square mile!!!

Not going to happen any other way!!!!........Big trout are not your future and who knows what they do! Some might come here for a month or two and leave to never return..........This has been proven in the LSU study already..........

So right now we have 15trout limit....200 people on the lake today......that’s 3000 trout taken out!!!

Low tide to high tide brings in around 3-4 thousand trout!!!! This don’t even take what’s in the marshes other side lakes or Gulf of Mexico!!!!

Trout move daily so how can you say we are hurting trout with a Rod N reel???? How?? Im all for conservation but Im not for Liberal fishing laws are rules.... Where there is a problem lets fix it..... We have no trout problem and to say we do is not a question. .... you or I know what tomorrow holds........

So until someone can prove to me or anybody else with Facts that we are over fishing our area im for the fisherman....not the FISH!!!!.........

Everyone that is aguring with me about this dont spend half the time I spend on the water....

Your not going to hear a guide complain about over fishing....If so he needs to close the doors to save fish!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (39.9 KB, 130 views)
Old 01-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,543

Chas how can you argue with that picture???
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 01-08-2010, 04:07 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,824

And they say a picture is worth a thousand words....
Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
And they say a picture is worth a thousand words....

a beutiful one like dat is 100000 words....
Old 01-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
Chas how can you argue with that picture???
lmao
Old 01-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

I knew yall would like the Pic!!!!!! LMAO........ Have to bring some humor in it.......
Old 01-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

W.....really??? Ok....I'll take the BAIT! I'll argue this all day long with you my friend.

Laguna & Baffin in TX is 4 times the size of Big Lake, yet they are having problems. So why do you think Big Lake is protected? "size doesn't matter" haha

Here's an email I sent you already that is from LDWF:

"The Department’s adopted a conservation standard is 18% static SPR per biological examination of stock, as outlined below in the 2005 assessment. What this means is that we believe there is a possible risk of adversely impacting recruitment if SPR is allowed to remain below 18%. In order to avoid going below the threshold, the department has adopted the following conservation standard. For spotted seatrout, fishing regulations should not allow cumulative fishing mortality rates to reduce the spawning potential of a cohort on average below 18% static SPR. This conservation standard is designed to stabilize the spawning potential of a cohort at or above the median level found in the 1980's, where existing evidence indicates that the spawning stock had not been reduced to a level that would adversely impact recruitment.

The 2004 status of the stock, defined as the static SPR, is 14.5%, a substantial decline from the 20.9% SPR reported in 2000. This is below the conservation standard of 18% described above.
"

Fact, when we faught for lowered limits back in 2004, LDWF said 15 would not do any good. He said it would have to go to 10 or lower to help bring SPR levels back up. He also said loss of habitat will keep driving SPR down. LA has had 4 major hurricanes since then. You think we haven't lost any habitat??? SPR levels are getting worse! You will soon have your "science" that will tell you trout levels are in trouble.

Look man, my only goal is a healthy fishery. IF LDWF comes out and says its all good, then I'm good. But just because its ok now, doesn' t mean we should be prepared for what might happen in the future.

I release big trout because it makes ME feel good. I release small trout because it makes ME feel good. I don't freeze trout. I only keep enough to eat fresh. They taste diff after freezing. I really don't care what you do with yours. My fish or your fish aren't going to hurt the population. I can live happily knowing that I've done my part for my 4 yr old son to enjoy fishing just as much as I do, and that makes ME happy!
Old 01-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Chas I my self along with a few others who fish on a regular basis agreed that after Hurricane Rita our Trout and Red fish population blew up!!......

Yes i know we lost lots of habitat but lets look at whats being done to fix it?

Old saying is mother nature will fix her self........Well she did when the levels were blown out!!! You can only control water so long then the wrath of nature will change it!!!....... My outlook (opinion) along with others who fish a lot........right now agree that our estuary is healthy....

Yes we can do more and spend more to protect!!! I have seen work on the lake now to protect from erosion......... I think we need to also stick with the major oil companies to help us protect our estuary's

I want the future to be strong just like you do.... I want your kids,,,, Kids to have what we have!!!...... I just don't want our lakes to turn into a liberal media circus like Texas.... I want to get in my boat and fish..... If I keep 30 I don't want to be cracked down on it.......If I release 1000... I don't need to be praised for it!!!

All in all most cant produce a 2 man big lake limit to start with!!!!

On the other hand ........Why are we letting oyster boats kill our reefs???
Old 01-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

Hurricane's blowing out wiers, levees, and marshes is a short term fix. Yes fishing is better now, but what about when that marsh dies? Then hows the fishing gonna be?

Oyster boats are doing nothing wrong under LDWF standards. Show me the "science" that they are destroying our reefs! :haha: See....it works both ways.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Ha..... I found some evidence .... It was about 200 yards off long point... Solid reef now its all broke up..... That was my honey hole
Old 01-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Ha..... I found some evidence .... It was about 200 yards off long point... Solid reef now its all broke up..... That was my honey hole

dude! you could win the nobel peace prize with that study right there!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

The oyster fishermen can only fish out one spot at a time. They cannot go where
they want to. Right now, they can catch oysters in one triangle shaped area.
From the ship channel around Long Point to the East end of the old jetty's and back
to the mouth of the old river area.
When they were tonging, it took all day to catch 15 sacks at $20. Right now, they
are getting anywhere from $27 to $31 per sack at 15 sacks per boat.
Some are getting greedy since they can now catch 15 sacks in 3 hours. The LDWF
sells the license by the boat. There are some of those oyster fishermen who have
5 or 6 licensed boats. One guy can catch over 100 sacks a day now that they can
use a dredge instead of tonging.
There are a few of them who are griping about those greedy guys, but they are
scared that if they get something done, the state will make them go back to tonging.
Or if they don't, there will be no more oysters in the lake. I just talked to one of
the better commercial fishermen in Cameron and he said if they continue to let anyone
with 5 or 6 boats have 5 or 6 oyster license's, there will be no more oysters left.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
Hurricane's blowing out wiers, levees, and marshes is a short term fix. Yes fishing is better now, but what about when that marsh dies? Then hows the fishing gonna be?

Oyster boats are doing nothing wrong under LDWF standards. Show me the "science" that they are destroying our reefs! :haha: See....it works both ways.
You think the hurricanes blew out them levee's?
Old 01-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
You think the hurricanes blew out them levee's?

NOPE It was BUSH's Fault
Old 01-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

W, you are clueless
Old 01-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
W, you are clueless
Bruce I will lay the smack down on your head....

You pilgrim
Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Flounder

Cash: 646

I just wish people would only keep fish they intend to eat soon. Too many times have I seen people catch a limit keep everything they catch and on their way home they start making phone calls to people they know "Hey man I tore-em up today want some fish?" or "Hey you want some fish I've got a freezer full already and I aint got no room for these." Too many people feel obligated to keep the fish they catch. Instead of huntin down somebody to take the fish off of your hands why not throw them back let-em live to fight another day. Or some people will keep fish, freeze them and eat them 9 months later, why not just throw them back. There's a-lot of fish out there, but I do think the angler can have a detrimental effect on fish populations.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Great White

**Internal Linking (Threads)