SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-28-2014, 07:47 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Someone please educate me. I thought I saw a sign on the weirs that it is owned by Cameron Parish something or other??
Ownership of public works projects after they are built, destroyed by a disaster, and then repaired is a complex legal question, especially when the project spans a navigable waterway.

Ownership of the structure may also be different from management authority which appears to have been delegated several times to a contractor.

As far as I can tell, the process of applying the right kinds of pressure to the contractor actually controlling the switches to better align openings and closings with scientific data, the goals of the weirs, and the desires of the public is much more involved than figuring out who owns the structure.

I expect the contract is designed to insulate the contractor from demands of the public, is vague about the actual management plans, and specifies a government party to oversee the operation in a manner to obfuscate and frustrate accountability to the public or to scientific principles of operation.

And I bet both the contractor and the government overseers are proud of themselves for these arrangements.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
Duck hunting has gone down hill everywhere since the 90's. The duck hunting problem is bigger than this and is definitely not needed in this thread. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is very true IMO. We just don't "hold" birds like we used to

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 04-28-2014, 08:12 AM
Redfish

Cash: 896

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
If you can figure out which plant back there will burn really, really fast when combined with an oxidizer or even better, one that has a naturally occurring oxidizer, then the sciences of marsh vegetation and rocketry could at long last be united.

Hydrazine & MMH smell like fish . . .
Old 04-28-2014, 08:24 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 9,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
On the NWR? Again, LDWF wouldn't have anything to do with ththat because its federal land.

Yea billy Leonard's told me that sorry he works for the Refuge same guy that issues the permits...

Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Who told you that? Because I was working for the state in the middle of all of that, and I can tell you the feds got sick of everyone complaining about them, so they got out. They just flat out dropped the operations and told everyone else involved to find someone else to operate the weirs.

So why where u working for the state if u were on federal land??? Spend 3 weeks in a marsh and 30 yrs behind a computer and ur a resident expert??? Willing to bet u live more than a 100 miles from big lake??? I promise u the guides out here get more observations than the biologist do... Comin out and pulling a troll on 3 locations once a month don't amount to jack...

Old 04-28-2014, 08:29 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadams View Post
Yea billy Leonard's told me that sorry he works for the Refuge same guy that issues the permits...

Gotcha, that makes sense.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
It depends on where exactly you mean. There's a lot of land back there. If you open the weirs more, you introduce the most salt closer to the weirs, and the salt decreases the further away from the weirs you get, so by the time you've got "just the right amount" of salt for your favorite marsh veg mix 3 miles away, you have too much salt at most points closer to the weirs.

Also consider the make-up of that marsh. Everyone wants their hunting spot to have perfect conditions. The eastern edge along 27, S of the ICWW had great duck conditions last fall and winter. We saw beaucoup ducks every time we drove 27 in the fall and winter. Sorry you missed them. Of course, we were fishing, heading back and forth to the jetties and beaches chasing bull reds. Getting permission to hunt closer to 27 might be easier than raising salinity in the spot you currently have access to.

If you want to raise the salinities closer to the ICWW, there are times when it has a bit of salt, though the salinity decreases quickly as you move toward Mermentau and away from the Calcasieu locks. In the area that moves SE, you can have salinities up to 20 ppt at times. Transfering that water into the marsh at the right times would increase salinities in the adjacent areas. (This is a scientific fact, it may not be a political possibility. The USACE and NWR peeps might have issues.) Once you get to the E-W stretch, salinity is much lower most of the time.

But I think the gradients in salinity and vegetation between the lake and 27 are OK. There is probably too much open water as a percentage of the overall land area. (See the attached photo). I don't think the science is on your side thinking you need more open water.
That is kind of what i'm getting at. Even if the weirs were open the perfect amount of time, the whole marsh will not get the same effect.

I know exactly how much land is back there and i hunted all over back there for 6 years, until 2009. It was always good and we rarely missed limits. I hunt in lake arthur every day of the season now so i don't get to go back there any more, but i talk to 3-5 people daily who do hunt back there. From what i hear it's not as good anymore as it was for the few years after rita hit and everything was dead.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:06 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
So why where u working for the state if u were on federal land??? Spend 3 weeks in a marsh and 30 yrs behind a computer and ur a resident expert??? Willing to bet u live more than a 100 miles from big lake??? I promise u the guides out here get more observations than the biologist do... Comin out and pulling a troll on 3 locations once a month don't amount to jack...

I worked for a program overseen by federal and state agencies doing marsh restoration work. We had 3 or 4 projects in the cameron-creole in my time there, and several more before my time. Yeah, I don't live near big lake anymore, but I did for 18 years up until last August.

Its fine, I've grown accustomed to people just blowing off my experience and work. Pretty much why I left that work. People didn't appreciate the work I did, and I got tired of it. Why waste my time making measily money trying to save the marsh when no one else gives a damn?!

I've studied the wetlands of southwest Louisiana extensively, have studied under tthe guys that did the job before me, and studied and worked under former and current marsh managers, but I guess that still means I don't know crap.

I guess LDWF biologists and private landowners contacting me and coordinating with me on marsh revegetation projects doesn't mean squat either.

Like I said, I've gotten used to being belittled. Figured if I'm going to be belittled, might as well do it while making good money.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 AM
King Mackeral

Show me some scientific facts that weir has made???? I fish the marsh east of Sabine see some yrs w lots of grass some w little depends on the rainfall that yr...those marshes are healthy w no weirs...so what if u get a salinity reading 15ft on the other side of the weir??? Go catch one 5 miles back and Itll be valid shutting a gate

Old 04-28-2014, 11:16 AM
King Mackeral

Do u agree grass can get hit w a high salinity then salinity lower a week later and it come back????

Old 04-28-2014, 11:18 AM
King Mackeral

What bout all the hogs tearing up the marsh losing tons of land there? But ain't ever heard a restoration guy talk bout that??

Old 04-28-2014, 11:20 AM
King Mackeral

I'm sorry I'm a hillbilly fishing guide w no education and u know everything Bc u planted some marsh grass....

Old 04-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,471

Quote:
I'm sorry I'm a hillbilly fishing guide w no education and u know everything Bc u planted some marsh grass....

4 posts in 4 minutes. You not fishing today?
Old 04-28-2014, 11:26 AM
King Mackeral

Nope vacation till may...

Old 04-28-2014, 11:38 AM
King Mackeral

J, I don't know what to tell you man. I'll ask you the same questions I asked W (which I got no answer to btw). Do you know the difference between oystergrass and wiregrass? Or between wiregrass and jamaican sawgrass? I'm not trying to be a smartass, just trying to make a point. The vegetation composition was different historically from what it is now.

Yeah, short term spikes happen, and its not going to kill the grass. That isn't the purpose of the weirs. The weirs were put in to decrease or hold in check a long term increase in salinity. It is the long term increase in salinity that is detrimental to a marsh, not the short term.

As far as hogs go, yeah, you're right, they are tearing up the marsh. What does that have to do with the weirs though?

I've said it before, I've got plenty of reports and papers on the marsh, and there are plenty more to be found online. It's just a matter of who wants to read them.

It is clear I can't say anything that is going to change your opinion. I don't know what I said to make you think I'm belittling you, because I'm not. I've also never said I was an authority on the issue either; that is the assumption everyone jumps to. I'm just speaking from my experiences and research.

But for God's sake, can anyone on here tell me the difference between oystergrass, wiregrass, and jamaican sawgrass?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Hey smalls I can tell you the difference between them grasses. They all spelled different.lmao
Just messin with you man.
I aint got a freaking clue.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:18 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965

whats the difference?...let us in on the secret
Old 04-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Only difference I need to know is my data books I been keeping for years are showing a decline like Enron Stock

I have data that shows my catches and places with tided,moons,etc..April 2010 by this date (not guiding) Boated over 350 trout ( 76 tagged)

April 2014 to date 89 on 3 more trips
Old 04-28-2014, 12:21 PM
King Mackeral

Oyster grass grows in saltwater marsh Jamaican grows in freshwater

Old 04-28-2014, 12:22 PM
King Mackeral

What is the point??