SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-27-2014, 11:49 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
How do you know this??? Weirs were open for years and years and marsh stayed healthy??

Only took a beaten after two hurricanes but it's back to normal
What proof Waltrip? What qualifications do you have to know the marsh was healthy? Because I know people with a lot more experience in marsh management that would disagree with you vehemently.

How do you know the marsh was healthy? You keep saying it, but I want to know what evidence you have to support that.

Do you know the difference between oystergrass and gulf cordgrass? What about between Sagitarria latifolia and Spartina patens?
Old 04-27-2014, 12:02 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
What proof Waltrip? What qualifications do you have to know the marsh was healthy? Because I know people with a lot more experience in marsh management that would disagree with you vehemently.

How do you know the marsh was healthy? You keep saying it, but I want to know what evidence you have to support that.

Do you know the difference between oystergrass and gulf cordgrass? What about between Sagitarria latifolia and Spartina patens?

Tell me how it's unhealthy? Tell me how saltwater is going to destroy marsh that has had saltwater for years

Have you been back there? Have you seen that some of the old boat runs are grown over? Who is saying it's not healthy?

WL&F biologist seem pretty confident that it has made a great come back after storms

So who is saying it's unhealthy? Because we sure are not hearing that
Old 04-27-2014, 12:04 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

I have never been behind the wiers so please forgive my ignorance. Is the ICW connected to that marsh in any way? Can you get into that marsh from the ICW thats to the north of all that marsh? If you can't get in that marsh couldn't you put a wier somewhere on the ICW to keep the water at a level that it would always flow into the lake? Just seems like the salinity in the ICW wouldn't be that bad for the marsh. Just a thought.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcutta37 View Post
I have never been behind the wiers so please forgive my ignorance. Is the ICW connected to that marsh in any way? Can you get into that marsh from the ICW thats to the north of all that marsh? If you can't get in that marsh couldn't you put a wier somewhere on the ICW to keep the water at a level that it would always flow into the lake? Just seems like the salinity in the ICW wouldn't be that bad for the marsh. Just a thought.

No this is way south of ICW

They only way to flush with freshwater is from Miami Corp flat along hey 27, when we get lots of rain the flumes open draining into marsh behind weirs
Old 04-27-2014, 12:13 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

They need to figure out how to keep a constant flow into Miami corp then. Even if it just creates a trickle of water atleast the wiers would stay open.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:17 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
How do you know this??? Weirs were open for years and years and marsh stayed healthy??

Only took a beaten after two hurricanes but it's back to normal

reckon the saltwater had anything to do with that 'beaten' the marsh took?
Old 04-27-2014, 12:19 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Tell me how it's unhealthy? Tell me how saltwater is going to destroy marsh that has had saltwater for years

Have you been back there? Have you seen that some of the old boat runs are grown over? Who is saying it's not healthy?

WL&F biologist seem pretty confident that it has made a great come back after storms

So who is saying it's unhealthy? Because we sure are not hearing that
What LDWF biologists have you talked to? How many times have I said I've been back there? How many times have I said I've worked in that marsh? How many times have I said I've taken salinity measurements behind those weirs and had readings at 32 ppt?

That is way too high for a brackish marsh, which is what occurs behind the weirs.

Give me a name of someone you have talked to that says that marsh is perfectly fine. I bet you can't. I know you can't, because your bluffing. If that marsh were perfectly fine, they would not need the weirs.

Just give me a name. Give me an office, because I know people that work all over the state in LDWF, I have many friends that work for LDWF, and I'm certain you are full of crap.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
What LDWF biologists have you talked to? How many times have I said I've been back there? How many times have I said I've worked in that marsh? How many times have I said I've taken salinity measurements behind those weirs and had readings at 32 ppt?

That is way too high for a brackish marsh, which is what occurs behind the weirs.

Give me a name of someone you have talked to that says that marsh is perfectly fine. I bet you can't. I know you can't, because your bluffing. If that marsh were perfectly fine, they would not need the weirs.

Just give me a name. Give me an office, because I know people that work all over the state in LDWF, I have many friends that work for LDWF, and I'm certain you are full of crap.

Full of crap hey, well call lake charles office and the guys were running fish samples last week on comm pt. Ask the names of the guys who came talked with some guides here at Heberts.

Also find out the guys who were behind the weirs last month and was stopped by two guys who asked them several questions about the marsh and find out what they said?

Got all day
Old 04-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,010

These marshes do border the ICW to the west of gibstown bridge. 2years ago they we're installing large culverts under big lake rd. by Fred's . I heard the purpose was to relieve fresh water coming down the ICW from the east. Why not install large 1 way culverts into this marsh west of the gibstown to relieve this water thru. just a thought
Old 04-27-2014, 01:07 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Full of crap hey, well call lake charles office and the guys were running fish samples last week on comm pt. Ask the names of the guys who came talked with some guides here at Heberts.

Also find out the guys who were behind the weirs last month and was stopped by two guys who asked them several questions about the marsh and find out what they said?

Got all day
Confucius say what the puck? Who's on first? That was some world class jiberish.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:37 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

The aerial/satelite photos I've reviewed make it clear that the marsh is being lost to erosion at an alarming rate. The type of vegetation is important because fresh/intermediate/brackish marsh vegetation resist erosion much better than the vegetation found in higher salinity salt marsh.

Each type of vegetation has a range of salinity that it can tolerate, and (generally speaking) the less salt plants tolerate, the better the land they grow on is going to resist erosion. So it may look good to the eye, but it has been shown with high confidence that salt marsh erodes more quickly during regular tide and storm events, and it is also much more susceptible to catastrophic large scale disappearance during tropical storms.

If the "marsh lovers" were blowing smoke on this, I'd be the first to call them out and cite all the sources that contradict them. But the "marsh lovers" are giving it to us straight. I've reviewed the data and the sources in some detail, and their inferences that we need to preserve that marsh and that keeping the salinity low back there is essential are spot on.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

They need to keep the salinity low for one reason

Save wedgion grass for duck hunters to hold ducks

But they will never say that but don't worry ones who spend countless days out here know the truth!!
Old 04-27-2014, 01:48 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:

Got all day
Typical Waltrip avoidance technique. Why don't you ever get names? Oh, because imaginary people don't have names.

I've studied that marsh, I've worked in that marsh. That marsh could not survive the weirs being permanently open. That is why they put them there, because the marsh was deteriorating.

I'll talk to my buddies with LDWF and see if and who you talked to.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Typical Waltrip avoidance technique. Why don't you ever get names? Oh, because imaginary people don't have names.

I've studied that marsh, I've worked in that marsh. That marsh could not survive the weirs being permanently open. That is why they put them there, because the marsh was deteriorating.

I'll talk to my buddies with LDWF and see if and who you talked to.

get ready for a meme, its coming
Old 04-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

This is awesome....love seeing folks argue over apples and oranges!!! Just wondering.....are all these "FACTS" y'all are spouting....is this info and data your personal research or did you hear it from someone else!!! If you haven't been behind the weirs and (I'm not just talking abt the levee canal) in the past 2 yrs...You have no dog or voice in this "fight"!! All the weir closings last year produced some of the worst duck hunting I've seen in my life!!! If they (WLF) think they are helping they have complete idiot's working for them!! My 2cents!! Y'all have fun with y'alls...I'm smarter than you conversation!!!! JEEEZZZ
Old 04-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Redfish

Cash: -239

Quote:
They need to keep the salinity low for one reason

Save wedgion grass for duck hunters to hold ducks

But they will never say that but don't worry ones who spend countless days out here know the truth!!
Looks like that wind on bl has those bubble gums flapping again. Who am I kidding they never stop.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:19 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.B View Post
This is awesome....love seeing folks argue over apples and oranges!!! Just wondering.....are all these "FACTS" y'all are spouting....is this info and data your personal research or did you hear it from someone else!!! If you haven't been behind the weirs and (I'm not just talking abt the levee canal) in the past 2 yrs...You have no dog or voice in this "fight"!! All the weir closings last year produced some of the worst duck hunting I've seen in my life!!! If they (WLF) think they are helping they have complete idiot's working for them!! My 2cents!! Y'all have fun with y'alls...I'm smarter than you conversation!!!! JEEEZZZ
Some people just can't read. I've said in 3 or 4 posts ON THIS THREAD that I have been behind the weirs, in the last 2 years. In fact, I've been back there each of the last 3 years on multiple occasions at different times of the year. Spent 3 weeks out there in the middle of the summer 2 years ago.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Some people just can't read. I've said in 3 or 4 posts ON THIS THREAD that I have been behind the weirs, in the last 2 years. In fact, I've been back there each of the last 3 years on multiple occasions at different times of the year. Spent 3 weeks out there in the middle of the summer 2 years ago.
Well welcome to the club....I just don't see what your point is....It was so fresh back there I lost all wigeon grass because of the green scum (due to no tide flow) not to mention stagnant water that stunk like methane....Lillies and cat tails were so thick ponds and trails were choked out.....and you need some saltwater to have wigeon grass...85% of the folks I talked to on the lease were displeased with the management back there.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.B View Post
Well welcome to the club....I just don't see what your point is....It was so fresh back there I lost all wigeon grass because of the green scum (due to no tide flow) not to mention stagnant water that stunk like methane....Lillies and cat tails were so thick ponds and trails were choked out.....and you need some saltwater to have wigeon grass...85% of the folks I talked to on the lease were displeased with the management back there.
Can't have cat tails the marsh is dying and about to be just pond of wate

95% of people who go behind the weirs never go out of eye site of the weirs
Old 04-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Can't have cat tails the marsh is dying and about to be just pond of wate

95% of people who go behind the weirs never go out of eye site of the weirs
95% never leave the levee canal or they would be lost or hung up....jus sayn