SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 03-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 554
Question Flats Style Boat. Any good in Louisiana?

Hello everyone,
I am currently in the market for a new boat. First, I would like to outline the type of fishing I will be doing. I currently live in Lafourche Parish in South Louisiana. I’m looking to fish local freshwater lakes and canals for bass along with the shallow saltwater marshes. I’m looking for a boat with the ability to handle crossing these waters if they get a bit choppy with a fairly dry ride. I’m not looking to get into any big water with this boat. With that being said, I have not been looking at too many true bay style boats. I’m looking at something around the 18’ range with a 115/150.

Okay, with all of the above said, a flats style boat has caught my eye. Upon doing a little looking around, the Action Craft 1890, Baycraft 185, and Hewes Redfisher 18 have sparked an interest. What I like about them is the large deck, amount of storage, stability, can get into shallow water. I would not be doing any poling so think of a boat this style minus the poling platform. It seems like a good fit; however I do not see many of these style boats in this area. Any thoughts or experiences with this style boat for what I have described?

I have looked at a few Xpress models as well. There are many many people here with bay boats, but that may be a bit overkill for what I’m looking for as it may be a bit large (height wise) and heavy.
Any thoughts or recommendations?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Xpress are good for the $. Had a buddy with a Hewes... Thing was a beast in chop, could get skinny and had a 250 on it. Thing would hit 70+mph..... Badass boat.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Sand Trout

Thanks for the response. I really like what I see with the 18 redfisher. Just gets me curious as there are so few boats of this style down here in Louisiana. Perhaps because of the lack of dealers, but then again why no dealers.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

I think the lack of dealers is because the flats style boats are geared more twards poling around in shallows. That style of fishing is growing in louisiana but not enough to support dealers like florida has. That hewes redfisher is nice,if I had the money I would go with the egret. Best riding flats boat in rough water. Check it out...http://www.egretboats.com/?page_id=8

Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I have looked at several Flats boats at boat shows and they stay at top of my list because of their storage and ability to still have a somewhat open boat for family plus you can stand up to run them in a chop or sit and run them....
seem like great cross over fresh / salt water rigs
Old 03-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,170

that Hewes Red fisher is about as fine as they come, I am running ShearWater X22, love it!!!, I'm like you I fish fresh and saltwater, and the x22 does it well, can store 12 -8' rods runs in the mid 60's w/ HPDI-250 2.8 mpg at 4500 rpms, @ 46-48mph depending on load, very dry and eats up 2 ft chop

As far as the Hewes , my buddy has an older 21' I think it's about 8 years old, 600 plus hours on a HPDI 200, and the boat is in like new condition, his is eaiser to pole with just 2 people, mine needs two on the front deck and one poling, just my two cents!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:50 AM
Redfish

Cash: 740

I have a ranger banshee extreme with a 60. Goes 30 loaded down. Also had a 5' tall and 4 x 4 removable platform built for the front. It is awesome to say the least. I have no need for a boat the goes fast as I can catch fish less than 10 minutes away. The most gas I have burned in a day is 8 gallons. I also have a remote riptide tm which is invaluable. Plust the boat handles the chop fantastic.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defient13 View Post
Thanks for the response. I really like what I see with the 18 redfisher. Just gets me curious as there are so few boats of this style down here in Louisiana. Perhaps because of the lack of dealers, but then again why no dealers.
Probably because most want at least 21' for $40k+. Maverick, Hewes,Pathfinder are all built buy the same group. If u can find a dealer for any of these, they should be able to help.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Make sure you get a power pole and an I-pilot trolling motor. Those 2 things will make your fishing a lot easier.

Welcom to the site!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Make sure you get a power pole and an I-pilot trolling motor. Those 2 things will make your fishing a lot easier.

Welcom to the site!
X2
Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Redfish

Cash: 829
Default Flats Boat

If you have more time than money you might consider building your own. Here is a site showing plans for an 18':

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=PH18

If you go to their main page you can look at a lot of their other designs:

www.bateau.com

Their forum shows builds that are in progress and some that have finished. A number of them are in Texas.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,201

East cape skiffs have a caimen model that is perfect for what you are looking to do
Old 03-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Sand Trout

Took a look at the East Capes. They seem to be a lot "flatter" of a boat than the rest in terms of profile.

Keep the suggestions coming guys. Went do some bass fishing over the weekend, and it really seems like this style boat can meet those conditions. Poling platform would get in the way for anyone on the rear deck though.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,084

plain and simple.

http://www.mosquitobayskiffs.com/buzz%20lite%20xtr.htm
Old 03-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

http://www.beavertailskiffs.com/

There is a member that guides out of one of these look up Low Tide charters on Facebook or pm medheavy 6'6" if you want an opinion
Old 03-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 838

Yea why not get a customer built Gatortrax.. Build it the way you want.. Have whatever you want an still put a
115 to 150 on it. They will do any color style boat you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Flounder

Cash: 666

I have never been on a gatortrax before but i have heard good things. It seems to me that it is a good quality aluminum boat. My main concern for them would be how do they handle chop. are they better at chop than other aluminum (xpress and so on) thanks.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfarms View Post
I have never been on a gatortrax before but i have heard good things. It seems to me that it is a good quality aluminum boat. My main concern for them would be how do they handle chop. are they better at chop than other aluminum (xpress and so on) thanks.
Anytime you wanna fish let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 675
Default Chop?

I didn't know what a dry ride was until I bought the Blackjack by K2 marine. That is a little more than you described in your size,and horsepower; but, the Kenner and Pathfinder would suit you well.They have much the same hull design, and are well build boats.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

I've fished 2 flats boats recently, Trans Cat and Shoalwater. Awesome boats, but wet wet ride, and when you stop in a chop or rough water your feet will get wet from water coming over the side.

Fished Galveston last weekend in cold weather and high winds - wet and miserable!!!