SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 05-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 997
Default Daiwa Tatula in Salt ?

I've been a die hard Shimano guy for nearly 25 years and have fished from their top of the line to their lower line JDM and USDM. How ever I have been dabbling in some Daiwa for fresh water for the last 2 years to throw into the mix. I was wondering if anyone has some experience with particularly the Daiwa Tatula line of reels in salt ?

I'm pretty OCD ... so I maintain my reels fairly well. I have an array of equipment from specialty tools/lubes to an ultrasonic cleaner sitting right next to the toaster on the kitchen counter lol.

I'm just covering my bases for anything that may be irregular or out of the ordinary from salt use that may be related to the Tatula. Or anything on a positive note worth mentioning about the reel for salt use.

This is not a Shimano vs. Daiwa post or any other brand so lets please keep it to info on the Tatula ...

Thanks !

Jeff
Old 05-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Tripletail

126 views at this point ... no input.

Maybe I should take this as a sign !

Last edited by jpd0144; 05-11-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,127

I use a tat in saltwater and no problems yet. Hasn't fished in the surf with it but I love the reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2015, 04:50 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacalaitman View Post
I use a tat in saltwater and no problems yet.
Just out of curiosity ... What line are you running and how may trips you would say you have on it ?
Are you an OCD clean fanatic with your reels or run them pretty hard with little maintenance until something fails ?

Thanks !
Old 05-11-2015, 04:54 PM
Trophy Trout

Default Daiwa Tatula in Salt ?

I have 12lb sunline super natural on it right now and love it. The reel casts like a dream. I have it on a castaway skeleton "the donk" rod. I have 3 or 4 trips on it so far in the marsh. Haven't had it to the coast in the really salty water but I'm sure it would hold up. I have the type r version of the tatula

I clean my reels as needed. Not oc about it at all. Some time they are ridden hard and put up wet so to speak. I've had 2 Daiwa zillions since they came out and only had them serviced once. I've taken them wade fishing many times. If anything I would upgrade the bearing. That tat will cast a mirrodine a long long way.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:02 PM
Tripletail

Thanks for the info !

Im thinking about pulling the trigger on a couple of Type R's 8:1 and rolling the dice !

I have a couple of the newer Zillion TWS's based off the same platform. I really didn't want to salt them and can grab two Tatulas for the price of one Zillion.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Trophy Trout

I don't like the new zillion. Not much difference from a type r tatula. Just free floating spool. And a few extra bearings.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Tripletail

The two I own are for pitching.

I picked up the 9:1's at 40.3" IPT.

If it were not for the free floating spool vs spools shaft through pinion support design I would have just picked up the Tat R's and dropped gear sets in.

I had a couple Tats when they first came out. However I sold them shortly and never tried them in the salt.

Even though they are strikingly similar based reels if memory serves me correctly from fishing the Tats ... it seems the Zillions may be a tad more refined and may have just a bit faster spool start up speed (which is great for pitching).
I think the playing field is more evened out between the two with say 3/8 and up on long bombing cast.
I must say though ... either are casting machines.

My concerns are more toward corrosion issues more than performance.