SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 10-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 505
Default Tackle for calcasieu lake

We are new to saltwater fishing. Could yall recommend tackle and lures that we should have with us in our box. Thanks
Old 10-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Bass fishing rods and reels and sparkle beetles, sand eels and lil jons. Variety of colors.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 505

Thanks Jordan
Old 10-12-2014, 06:02 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

SpookJrs
Old 10-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

basicly some minnow shaped swim baits with tail action is the general "go to" bait used by everyone, then some top water baits and suspending baits.

your bass baits will work (especially the spinner baits) but everything will rust fast so you need salt water hooks on your tackle.

you will also want to use some corks at times and there are many opinions on which cork is best but whatever you choose make sure you have some. when the bite is slow sometimes a bait suspended and dancing around under a cork while not moving out of the area is just the ticket to get bit. also trout feed looking straight ahead or up mostly and rarely if ever look down unless already going after something so a cork ensures the bait is in the area the fish has the best chance to see it.

think of it as bass fishing in salt water
Old 10-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
also trout feed looking straight ahead or up mostly and rarely if ever look down unless already going after something so a cork ensures the bait is in the area the fish has the best chance to see it.

Interesting.

I've caught many many trout dragging slow on bottom, not sure how they found it now.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Swordfish

Default Tackle for calcasieu lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4006dad View Post
We are new to saltwater fishing. Could yall recommend tackle and lures that we should have with us in our box. Thanks

If you are fresh, a great place to start is the Troutmasters book as well as the book Redfish.

Some of the information already posted in this thread will mess you up, can't imagine how many trout I would have never caught if I believed they never look down...
Old 10-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Some of the information already posted in this thread will mess you up, can't imagine how many trout I would have never caught if I believed they never look down...
Cmon now, u know trout never look down. Lol
Old 10-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

They would rather feed upwards sure but to think the don't feed down is misinformation.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Interesting.

I've caught many many trout dragging slow on bottom, not sure how they found it now.
thats cause they were sitting on beds waiting for croakers to come along... so they were already on the bottom
Old 10-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Interesting.

so have I, because they were on the bottom and saw it moving in front of them looking straight ahead but trout don't swim around looking down under them, they feed on whats in front of them or above them.

its all relative to water depth, in 3 to 4 feet of water just about everything is straight ahead in their sight of vision so there really is no up or down other then surface lures for top water but in deeper water like 5 feet or more then they start picking zones they stay at to forage for food weather that be middle, bottom, or along the surface.

when you catch trout on the bottom it isn't because they are looking down and went down there to get the bait, its because they were already on the bottom weather to stay warm in cold weather or just because that's how they were feeding that day but they were still looking straight in front of them not looking down to feed. a trouts mouth isn't shaped right for sucking up baits off the bottom that's why reds and drums have down turned mouths, because they need to suck up baits feeding off of the bottom.

if you want to argue evolution of fish and how they evolved to use the feeding habits and patterns they follow you will have to do that with mathgeek not me, he can get you all the technical data you might need to be convinced.

Last edited by keakar; 10-12-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
so have I, because they were on the bottom and saw it moving in front of them looking straight ahead but trout don't swim around looking down under them, they feed on whats in front of them or above them.

its all relative to water depth, in 3 to 4 feet of water just about everything is straight ahead in their sight of vision so there really is no up or down other then surface lures for top water but in deeper water like 5 feet or more then they start picking zones they stay at to forage for food weather that be middle, bottom, or along the surface.

when you catch trout on the bottom it isn't because they are looking down and went down there to get the bait, its because they were already on the bottom weather to stay warm in cold weather or just because that's how they were feeding that day but they were still looking straight in front of them not looking down to feed. a trouts mouth isn't shaped right for sucking up baits off the bottom that's why reds and drums have down turned mouths, because they need to suck up baits feeding off of the bottom.

if you want to argue evolution of fish and how they evolved to use the feeding habits and patterns they follow you will have to do that with mathgeek not me, he can get you all the technical data you might need to be convinced.

Whatever you say, good thing they don't have any predators - not looking down could be tricky for survival.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

I guess this is the same reason redfish never hit topwater.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouchub View Post
I guess this is the same reason redfish never hit topwater.
the only ones who continue to spout the wrong narrative of trout never look down is those trying to justify their false beliefs by claiming I said something I didnt, I simply said trout mainly feed by attacking what is in front of them or above them.

I laugh at how silly you people are to sit here and poo-poo documented science and physical evolutional characteristics of fish based on there preferred methods of attacking bait just because it doesn't fit your "ideas"

just because you catch these fish on the bottom and didn't understand the "real" reason, you assume trout are bottom feeders because you can catch them on the bottom.

if trout are on the bottom then the bait is at that same level as they are so it is feeding on what is IN FRONT OF HIM not under him, he isn't looking down to feed on whats below him but this concept is lost on some.

you will never see trout "tailing" in the marsh standing on their heads rooting in the mud for food like reds and drum because trout are not bottom feeders!!!!!!!!!! they simply arent designed that way
Old 10-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,086

^^^^
He MAD
Old 10-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Swordfish

Nobody said they were bottom feeders. Someone did say they only feed level or upward, and don't look down.

More importantly, can it be evolution AND design?
Old 10-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Nobody said they were bottom feeders. Someone did say they only feed level or upward, and don't look down.

More importantly, can it be evolution AND design?
I never said trout "never" look down, I said they rarely if ever look down to feed. that is a million miles from the assertions you are making about what I said in this thread but that hasn't stopped you and others from making your accusations and cute remarks entertaining yourselves with false self righteousness.

then you took it upon yourself to declare to the OP that my advice should not be headed because of your alternate views yet everything I said is true weather you choose to ignore it or not.

I don't like it when people lie and make false claims about what I say so I felt the need to reply to your silliness in the hopes of getting through to you but im done here. its my own fault for always wanting to teach someone if the show lack of knowledge about something.

the poor OP probably stopped reading all this thread highjack long ago
Old 10-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
I never said trout "never" look down, I said they rarely if ever look down to feed. that is a million miles from the assertions you are making about what I said in this thread but that hasn't stopped you and others from making your accusations and cute remarks entertaining yourselves with false self righteousness.

then you took it upon yourself to declare to the OP that my advice should not be headed because of your alternate views yet everything I said is true weather you choose to ignore it or not.

I don't like it when people lie and make false claims about what I say so I felt the need to reply to your silliness in the hopes of getting through to you but im done here. its my own fault for always wanting to teach someone if the show lack of knowledge about something.

the poor OP probably stopped reading all this thread highjack long ago

He probably stopped reading your posts like I did, do they have to be so long? I mean every post is >3 paragraphs, and typically contain more paragraphs than commas.

Your post was misleading for a new saltwater fisherman, and now your butt hurts.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4006dad View Post
1/8 oz 1/4 oz jig heads - gulp shrimp, sand eels LSU colored, sparkle beetles, quick attach corks weighted

Top water = spooks bone colored skitter walk baby trout and redfish
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 10-13-2014, 12:19 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

I don't know about them feeding up or down but they definitely feed on whats in front of them. I find that they also tend to feed at a specific depth and facing into the current so finding the right weight of your bait and speed of retrieve is key. I usually start off light and progressively get heavier. If your fishing under birds TTF makes a bait called Lil Speck Killer that works well. I am not much of a top water fisherman but have caught my biggest fish on Paul Brown Original's (Corkey's), just throw them out as far as possible, pop your rod twice, pause, and retrieve then repeat. I like a variety of swim baits. H&H Usual Suspects and Tsunami's as well as swim shads you put on a gig head. My favorites are Matrix Shad and Vortex. Color depends on the water but Nighttruse and Kamikaze are good ones for the Vortex. Green Hornet, Avacado, Limonhead are all good but I have caught the most fish on Tigerbait. I like the round H&H Cocaho gig heads or the Matrix Goldeneye. 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 oz.

I will agree with Goooh that the book Redfish is an excellent source of information about saltwater fishing in general. Troutmaster's is ok, but you have to learn to catch the little ones before your on to the trophy's.