SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 08-17-2016, 09:29 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271
Default Duckett rods

who else is having trouble with these rods? I own one white ice 6'10" med heavy with no issues. A micro magic pro 6'9" med heavy with no problems, and a micro magic pro 7' medium that has been all problems. I'm going on to my third 7' medium. The first one was eating my string every time I hooked a fish capable of pulling drag, and my second one broke on a cast after 3 trips. I just sent an email to duckett to replace it again hopefully for free. If they don't replace it for free, I'm done with these rods especially for the price tag. The 6'9" and white ice have been great rods, but this 7' medium seems to be crap
Old 08-17-2016, 09:41 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

I got rid of mine bc they kept changing from white to yellow.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:55 AM
Flounder

Cash: 469

I've been tossing a 6'10" MH for a few years now with no issues. I know a couple folks that had issues with the Medium rods. both were running heavier line than the rod was rated for which is not uncommon but the medium rods apparently cannot stand up to anything other that very light tackle....
Old 08-17-2016, 11:23 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
who else is having trouble with these rods? I own one white ice 6'10" med heavy with no issues. A micro magic pro 6'9" med heavy with no problems, and a micro magic pro 7' medium that has been all problems. I'm going on to my third 7' medium. The first one was eating my string every time I hooked a fish capable of pulling drag, and my second one broke on a cast after 3 trips. I just sent an email to duckett to replace it again hopefully for free. If they don't replace it for free, I'm done with these rods especially for the price tag. The 6'9" and white ice have been great rods, but this 7' medium seems to be crap
Eating your string? Sounds like an eye insert is chipped or fell out. If it has micro guides it'll fray it even more if that's the case.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:04 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
Eating your string? Sounds like an eye insert is chipped or fell out. If it has micro guides it'll fray it even more if that's the case.

yep it was the micro guides.. when you have a bass pulling drag and your line pops in your rod, how pissed do you think I was? I thought maybe it was a bad spot in my string when it happened that time, then I brought it trout fishing hooked a sailcat, my line popped and found shards of string in my eyes. That's when I knew it wasn't my string when I lost that bass...

then on my replacement rod, it snaps on a cast... not happy.. it snapped about 8-10" above the reel seat too
Old 08-17-2016, 01:06 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by me1ancon View Post
I've been tossing a 6'10" MH for a few years now with no issues. I know a couple folks that had issues with the Medium rods. both were running heavier line than the rod was rated for which is not uncommon but the medium rods apparently cannot stand up to anything other that very light tackle....

they are actually a pretty stiff medium action rod, they should be able to handle a good bit. I only throw 12-15lb test on that rod, so I know it wasn't that. I know my 7' medium bucoo is a super soft rod compared to that one, the bucoo will bend nearly at the reel seat when you hook something big and it has held up just fine.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:09 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
yep it was the micro guides.. when you have a bass pulling drag and your line pops in your rod, how pissed do you think I was? I thought maybe it was a bad spot in my string when it happened that time, then I brought it trout fishing hooked a sailcat, my line popped and found shards of string in my eyes. That's when I knew it wasn't my string when I lost that bass...

then on my replacement rod, it snaps on a cast... not happy.. it snapped about 8-10" above the reel seat too
If you treat rods like I do, any of them will eventually do this. No matter what make.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2016, 01:10 PM
Ling

Quote:
If you treat rods like I do, any of them will eventually do this. No matter what make.

not on a 3rd trip with only a few fish under its belt. I sent duckett fishing an email, I'm curious to see what they will do.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:19 PM
Tripletail

True. There's a guy on here that lives in Moss Bluff that fixed a few of my eyes on some rods earlier this year. I think he charged me $6 per rod. I have some more I need replaced now. Waaaaay quicker than sending them to the company. As far as yours snapping idk. Ducketts are quality rods for the price though generally. I use almost exclusively abu rods, but my next flipping rod will be a Duckett. Crazy how light they are.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:32 PM
Ling

Quote:
True. There's a guy on here that lives in Moss Bluff that fixed a few of my eyes on some rods earlier this year. I think he charged me $6 per rod. I have some more I need replaced now. Waaaaay quicker than sending them to the company. As far as yours snapping idk. Ducketts are quality rods for the price though generally. I use almost exclusively abu rods, but my next flipping rod will be a Duckett. Crazy how light they are.

What abus are you using? I've used the veritas(sp) and I broke every one of them. I had bought one and loved it so I bought another 3-4. I think I only have one left. The rod breaks easy and the eyes are super brittle I found.

I like the ducketts, especially for flipping. I have one for texas rig and one for jig. The one that sucks is the 7' medium, I bought that one for trout fishing and fishing traps/jerkbaits/flukes and lighter baits, so far the durability of that rod SUCKS. The other two I have beat up pretty good, hit them on TM on accident a few times and hit branches and they are still fine, not to mention I fish 20lb test with my jig and have stuck plenty solid bass and stupid choupiques, so those rods perform as they should
Old 08-17-2016, 03:31 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
What abus are you using? I've used the veritas(sp) and I broke every one of them. I had bought one and loved it so I bought another 3-4. I think I only have one left. The rod breaks easy and the eyes are super brittle I found.

I like the ducketts, especially for flipping. I have one for texas rig and one for jig. The one that sucks is the 7' medium, I bought that one for trout fishing and fishing traps/jerkbaits/flukes and lighter baits, so far the durability of that rod SUCKS. The other two I have beat up pretty good, hit them on TM on accident a few times and hit branches and they are still fine, not to mention I fish 20lb test with my jig and have stuck plenty solid bass and stupid choupiques, so those rods perform as they should
I have around 10 veritas casting rods (2.0's, winch series, micro series, and the original models), 2 of the same spinning veritas, and a few of the vendettas also (casting and spinning). The 2.0's are much better than the old models. Still yet, I think I've either broke an eye, or lost an eye insert on just about every one of them at some point. I'm pretty sure that's mostly my fault. I'm not very gentle with rods. But, I've heard of other people having problems with the eyes also. For the price they're great rods though.

Recently got a 7'11 XH 2.0 winch series and for $100 bucks you're not going to find a better big cranking stick. If you're wanting a medium 7' rod for traps, jerkbaits, etc. I'd try to get a rod specifically made for crank baits instead of just a regular 7' med. The tip / backbone will be more suited for that and should load up correctly on casts and hook sets.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:30 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 667

I replace a lot of guides on Duckett rods, most of the time the inserts have fallen out. I use mostly Fuji guides with stainless frames and Alconite inserts. These should solve your guide problems.

Dave
Fishin Stix Rods
Old 08-18-2016, 08:02 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrydr View Post
I replace a lot of guides on Duckett rods, most of the time the inserts have fallen out. I use mostly Fuji guides with stainless frames and Alconite inserts. These should solve your guide problems.

Dave
Fishin Stix Rods
Dave I've got a couple more rods I need to get to you. The last ones you did have held up fine. My rod box eats eyes like crazy.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:09 AM
Tripletail

Quote:

Also, I've never completely broken any of my abus. IMO the blanks are great. Just the eyes are poop. I had a 7'3 Heavy Vendetta that a ripped the reel seat out of on a grown man hook set with #65 braid close to the boat. But again, that was my fault. Apparently I didn't have the reel tightened down all the way on the seat, and the slack from that with the big hook set tore the reel out. Also if you use lews casting reels, certain models don't fit the seats well, and you have to make it a habit to check and make sure the reel is tightened down all the way or this will happen. FYI lol
Old 08-19-2016, 11:25 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 667

Cool, Bring them by anytime. I keep most sizes on hand.

Dave
Fishin Stix Rods