SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Flounder

Cash: 841
Default Secret?

So there has to be a secret to fishing vermillion/weeks bay. Went yesterday for some action and ended with 2 founder, 1 red, and 3 croakers. Made a couple drifts at the trash pile, nothing, moved to cut off of mud point and hit the flounder and some the croakers. Picked the red up off a point across weeks. Water clarity was great everywhere it seemed but also a lot of water. Was anyone else out there yesterday and had success? Can someone help me out and help me learn the area?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

The secret is that those fish are crazy over there and the people fishing for them are too Had a great trip last Friday then heard the bite shut down that Saturday. Just keep going and trying new things. I like to fish Fearman Lake, lot less people than Cyp Pt and redfish are fairly easy to come by and don't have to worry bout people in 36' Contenders potlicking you!

Seems people are tight lipped about VBay, and if you hear they are biting you are a day late. Have only fished Cyp Pt 3 times and each time did very well, and not a ton of boats fishing, so just keep going and when you see an armada of boats somewhere just go the other way. Those people just see others and join in, tons of reefs and shoals in the bay that are not fished as much as the popular areas.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

The tide was high and stayed high all day this weekend. No movement at all. That could be why the slow bite.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,139

fish over there are crazy i here of people catching limits and go and scratch you always here about it after the bite is over you just have to go out there and try until you can find them i like to fish marsh island for reds
Old 07-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Flounder

Default High Water

Yes, I did realize the water was really high. After a while I was getting discouraged so I started trolling near the bank with my bow to see if I couldnt shoot a few. I dont go there often either, just wanted to pick up a few reds. Im used to fishing leeville area, but thats 3 hours away so I wanted to find somewhere closer to cut down on the driving and gas.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem03 View Post
Yes, I did realize the water was really high. After a while I was getting discouraged so I started trolling near the bank with my bow to see if I couldnt shoot a few. I dont go there often either, just wanted to pick up a few reds. Im used to fishing leeville area, but thats 3 hours away so I wanted to find somewhere closer to cut down on the driving and gas.
The west side for some reason does not seem to hold the trout like Cyp Pt does, but it has lots of marsh to fish for reds and there are some weirs to catch shrimp at times and crabs as well wit some big azz gar. Much much less crowded too. Always had good luck with the reds on that side

I think the trout just started getting in the bay and will be getting better, think fall may be the best time to go. We went for the first time last Dec I think and had it to ourselves and caught nice trout right in the cove there

Look at my post from Friday, the wind was zero, the water didn't seem that salty, no tide moving, but birds all over south of the point. Every boat seemed to be heading south to Marsh Island or the pass but the fish were doing well inside. Again, those fish are crazy!
Old 07-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,358

I went there sunday, went try diamon reefs, picked up 1 but it was rough and muddy, tried a few sets of birds on the way back and couldn't get a bite. stopped at the cove and picked up a few. but with the tide not moving like that it's not worth goin, should've not put the boat in when I saw water over the launch's banks. Never had a good trip when it was like that.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:35 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633

hey duck butter where is fearman lake??? is that near icc
Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfighter View Post
hey duck butter where is fearman lake??? is that near icc
Yeah, put in at ICC and its on the west side, Paul J Rainey Refuge is around there. You have to go across a few miles of open water but its never been too bad. Have caught reds just as soon as you get out the IC canal and start fishing the marsh
Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Default cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Yeah, put in at ICC and its on the west side, Paul J Rainey Refuge is around there. You have to go across a few miles of open water but its never been too bad. Have caught reds just as soon as you get out the IC canal and start fishing the marsh
cool thanks, i have never fished that end, fished all over the other way from the boston to the jaws, did make that run up that way once down the intracoastal canal, that is a long boat ride from the avery to icc, was lucky to make it back to the ramp with just 12gals of fuel
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Hookem',
Went Sunday late afternoon fished Dry Reef, Hammick and Blue Pt. Tide started to roar out around 4:00pm but the bite never happened...at least for me. Ended up with a bunch of nice whites and 4 dink specks. Friday morning we did fair on the eastern reefs of Marsh Island. I really can't explain whats going on in VB this past week. Seems all the huge schools of bait fish (mullets and pogies) have vanished inside! All reports I've heard and fishermen I spoke to all say they had rather poor catches the last few days and the specks that were caught were small in VB.

As Duck Butter says...ya gotta go a bunch to learn the finicky nature of the Bay. Thats what makes it fishin and not catchin'! It seems I always learn a little something every time I go, even if I don't catch. Go explore, don't fish where everyone else does. There are tons of fishing areas in the Bay that don't see a boat all year long! I fished 1/2 the afternoon in places I never fished before just because it looked good. Found a group of rocks under 7 ft of water that held a bunch of 10" trout...will hold better fish later on and I never saw another boat around this area. Nothing like finding your own fishing spots that few if any know about. VB is a big area with plenty of un-explored fishing spots...get a good chart of VB, start looking for under water shoals along with any depth changes; even if its just 1-2ft difference. Fish points along the shores and Marsh Island where tides bring in bait. VB is not as easy as Cocodrie or Dularge and BL but it can be a hot spot when all the other areas are not. Don't give up.....and have some fun out there!
Old 07-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,139

Friday afternoon we it the bay on the way to pass saw some birds working dry reef area hit them and boom it was on gaftop after gaftop rant to the pass and caught a couple of reds in the pass ran to tbutte nothing back to pass few more reds 2 flounder then headed back in
Old 07-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Ling

Quote:
cool thanks, i have never fished that end, fished all over the other way from the boston to the jaws, did make that run up that way once down the intracoastal canal, that is a long boat ride from the avery to icc, was lucky to make it back to the ramp with just 12gals of fuel
I got rescued twice by the sheriffs department out there my first year of living south of I-10 Learned the importance of fuel, good equipment and TIDES
Old 07-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Flounder

Thanks Reefman for the info. Will definately keep trying.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,958

As the rest of the guys mentioned, the fishing in VB can be a very fickle. Sounds like you are fishing in some good areas, although the spots you tried are typically better in the fall. Yes there are some trout that have moved into the bay, but they are not "stacked up" like they are in fall months. This is not typical of the bay, to be catching trout in the bay in June. So like the rest of the guys mentioned, can be very hit or miss inside the bay this time of year. Keep at it, and if you have a big enough boat, consider making a run to the outside of MI and the pass for increasing your odds of catching fish this time of year. Usually if you cant catch trout with plastics over the reefs, shrimp under a cork will get you some reds and flounder. Good luck!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Quote:
Hope you got a mud boat.....get shallow quick!!
Old 07-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

To say VB is finicky is an understatement. Usually by the time someone has a good catch, get home cleans them, and posts about it the fish are gone. i have fished the bay, weeks bay, and the point for a few years now since i have a small boat. one day you can be on em and limit out, then go the next day, same conditions and cant buy a bite.

the weekends get worse because of the boat traffic, yahoos running in and out of spots shut the bite down. this is why i hardly ever fish the trash pile. Reefman is correct, if there are a bunch of boats I find its best to stay away. there are plenty of areas to fish where you see 1 or 2 boats all day.

My last 2 trips have been awful...starting to wonder if im not cursed so dont think its just you. As you said before, water is great, fish arent biting. last Saturdays tide sucked the big one. My dad and I ended up in a school of 12" reds, after hitting 5 spots that usually always produce. Bait just wasnt there...or anywhere... we caught a dozen, happy to smell like fish we headed to Heberts for some chicken on the way home. dmtfish is correct, fall fishing is much better.

If you are looking for some pointers, PM me, always happy to help.