SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
Attachment 97069

Put on your glasses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good u finally see it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2015, 05:37 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

The Sabine DU project, at least the one I know of, is not within the huntable area on the refuge. The map is misleading in that regard, and I believe is not suggesting that all DU projects on public land are huntable, merely that they were completed on public lands that are at least in some form or fashion open to hunting.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:39 PM
Swordfish

Thanks for clarifying that Smalls.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:39 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
what are they conserving since not near the amount of ducks come down.
Well, unless Larry is lying, we had 2 million more birds in November 2014 than we had in Nov 2004. I don't know how good Larry's eye sight is, but I would assume good enough to not overestimate by 2 million.

So, yeah, there's that....
Old 10-28-2015, 05:43 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Thanks for clarifying that Smalls.
The terraces over around Green's Lake are the DU project. For some reason everyone got big on terraces, and very few of them ever amounted to much. I'm not as familiar with those as I am with some of the other DU terrace projects, but the ones I am familiar with were mildly successful. The area between the terraces did seem to become some what more shallow and less turbid, but no real development of SAVs to speak of. A few areas developed on some, but other than that, nothing. Its been a few years since I've been around some though. Mottled ducks seemed to like them though. Jumped a few off of terraces nesting in the marsh hay that had been planted.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:46 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
The terraces over around Green's Lake are the DU project. For some reason everyone got big on terraces, and very few of them ever amounted to much. I'm not as familiar with those as I am with some of the other DU terrace projects, but the ones I am familiar with were mildly successful. The area between the terraces did seem to become some what more shallow and less turbid, but no real development of SAVs to speak of. A few areas developed on some, but other than that, nothing. Its been a few years since I've been around some though. Mottled ducks seemed to like them though. Jumped a few off of terraces nesting in the marsh hay that had been planted.
Oh I'm aware. I just think some aren't.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Ive seen and killed more birds in the last two years than any other I have hunted. I'm not that old but I started when I was 7 so I hope that counts for something. But the last two winters were probably the coldest I remember as well. As good as the hunting was, the amount of birds in VBay, Marsh Island, Rockefeller, mind blowing. One morning I drove from the 4 mile to the point and didn't go 30 seconds without scaring up another flock. My brother flys over Marsh Island every day and he said every lake was black with birds. The sanctuaries were packed to the gills. I have to think that hunting pressure plays a bigger role in the mix than everyone would like to admit. High dollar leases are high dollar because they usually don't have 3 other blinds in gun range. Just because there aren't birds where you are hunting doesn't mean there aren't birds down here.

Louisiana has been third in rice production behind Arkansas and California, during my lifetime anyway. Over the years Arkansas has substantially increased its amount of acreage while Louisiana's decreased but that has nothing to do with DU. They could spend their entire budget creating and preserving wetlands in Louisiana but the ducks are never going to see it if they are fat and happy in Arkansas, especially during a mild winter. The last two winters where pretty chilly and I'd classify my last two hunting seasons a excellent to exceptional.

The problem isn't DU. The problem is there are too many hogs for the trough. Organizations like the CCA and DU survive because their members donate. More members means more money. Their survival is dependent upon getting more people to hunt and fish. There all ready too many as it is, thats why I don't have any desire to support either. I realize my point of view is completely selfish but I am not into community hunting and fishing. I am content to be an a$$hole.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:00 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,152

Y'all make my head hurt.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
Ive seen and killed more birds in the last two years than any other I have hunted. I'm not that old but I started when I was 7 so I hope that counts for something. But the last two winters were probably the coldest I remember as well. As good as the hunting was, the amount of birds in VBay, Marsh Island, Rockefeller, mind blowing. One morning I drove from the 4 mile to the point and didn't go 30 seconds without scaring up another flock. My brother flys over Marsh Island every day and he said every lake was black with birds. The sanctuaries were packed to the gills. I have to think that hunting pressure plays a bigger role in the mix than everyone would like to admit. High dollar leases are high dollar because they usually don't have 3 other blinds in gun range. Just because there aren't birds where you are hunting doesn't mean there aren't birds down here.

Louisiana has been third in rice production behind Arkansas and California, during my lifetime anyway. Over the years Arkansas has substantially increased its amount of acreage while Louisiana's decreased but that has nothing to do with DU. They could spend their entire budget creating and preserving wetlands in Louisiana but the ducks are never going to see it if they are fat and happy in Arkansas, especially during a mild winter. The last two winters where pretty chilly and I'd classify my last two hunting seasons a excellent to exceptional.

The problem isn't DU. The problem is there are too many hogs for the trough. Organizations like the CCA and DU survive because their members donate. More members means more money. Their survival is dependent upon getting more people to hunt and fish. There all ready too many as it is, thats why I don't have any desire to support either. I realize my point of view is completely selfish but I am not into community hunting and fishing. I am content to be an a$$hole.

This pretty much covers it all.....Top Dawg and Aubrey, yall can PM each other if you want to keep on going. LOL
Old 10-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
I haven't read all the post yet, No sense either. It's just the typical anti DU guys who always get on these post. They come with far fetched rumors, and statements with no facts or data to support them what so ever.

First off DU puts millions into coastal conservation each year. These public coastal projects not only provide wintering grounds for ducks, but also protect the marsh that serves as the vital nursery for all the seafood we love including crabs, shrimp, trout and reds.

DU has stepped up and footed the bill for plenty of these projects where the state has failed to do so. We are losing our Marsh fast!! Point blank if we lose our coastal marsh we lose our way of life.

Let's talk about private land for a second. Yes, DU helps farmers through the rice stewardship program helps private marshland owners install levees and structures to manage water levels. And yes, this typically provides those land owners with substantially better hunting.

What you're missing here is it also provides better hunting for all of us. Point blank without key management of these lands the ducks will find somewhere else to go. By managing these private lands we are holding more birds per acre an area. You think the only one that benefits is that one landowner?? It's proven fact all the hunters surrounding have higher success rates as a result.

But let's jump back to seafood though. Just as public waters serve as vital nurseries for our fish and shrimp, so do many private marshes. Louisiana is 2nd in the nation for fundraising. They would be stupid not to invest back in this state.

This past year 82% of the money raised went directly back to conservation efforts. 3% went to administration and human resource and 15% went to raising all that money.

http://www.ducks.org/media/_global/_...lFactSheet.pdf

Not testing your knowledge or questioning anything, I'm just curious if you have a link to those coastal marsh projects or maybe where they are working at specifically
Old 10-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
I'ma go ahead and hunt the "DU project" at sabine and when I get caught i'ma just tell em I saw a map on the internet that said I could hunt it lol.

Do you know where the DU project at Sabine is? Or what it is specifically
Old 10-28-2015, 08:12 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

[quote=cgoods17;777256]
Quote:

you kill all those grey ducks with that snow goose call?

That's for the spoonies.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:18 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGcoreg View Post
Do you know where the DU project at Sabine is? Or what it is specifically
According to the DU website, yes I know where it's at.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
According to the DU website, yes I know where it's at.

I tried to find it, help me out here .
Old 10-28-2015, 08:19 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
I tried to find it, help me out here .
It's west of burton ditch. The terraces

Old 10-28-2015, 08:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Not testing your knowledge or questioning anything, I'm just curious if you have a link to those coastal marsh projects or maybe where they are working at specifically

I had some work sheets at one point. I'll working on getting a link tomorrow.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
It's west of burton ditch. The terraces

Thanks

Quote:
I had some work sheets at one point. I'll working on getting a link tomorrow.

And thanks
Old 10-28-2015, 09:09 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post

30 and 3 or bust.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:13 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

In other News

Dallas Cowboys lost 4 games straight
Saints are 1 game better than Cowboys
My Bears suck

LSU is beast mode going into Nov 7

I didn't read non of this but figured you guys needed an update
Old 10-28-2015, 09:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
30 and 3 or bust.
I'm stumped? I even googled it. I went to school in Kaplan, you're gonna have to help me out.