SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:23 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
The number of people I know that go to canada yearly is unreal, and on their worst hunts, I bet they kill more than 60% of hunters in LA kill total for whole year. Common sense says something ain't right here.
The number of guide services in La for waterfowl is unreal. They hunt DAILY
Old 10-29-2015, 08:24 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
I call bull**** on this whole thing. How do they get these numbers? I've never once been asked how many of each species I kill yearly. How many birds winter in Louisiana total each year? No way in hell we kill 2.3 mill birds, if I'm reading that correctly. I'm goong to go out on a limb and say Canada kills more birds than us by a long shot.

Yea, I call bs too! They had to of made those numbers up in an attempt to get us to send more money to DU. Well played boys.... Well played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2015, 08:38 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
you think there aren't any outfitters in canada that dont hunt daily?
Old 10-29-2015, 08:51 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
Just like in Canada. I bet success rate in Canada is much higher, plus their limits are higher. I don't know any American's who have been contacted by Canadian WLF or whatever they have up there and asked how many birds they killed on their hunts up there.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:53 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
Yea, I call bs too! They had to of made those numbers up in an attempt to get us to send more money to DU. Well played boys.... Well played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are lots of years when there aren'tmany more than 2.3 million total ducks in LA, and they're going to sit here and say we killed 2.3 million birds in one year? Come on man. Tell me where they come up with these numbers.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:54 AM
Red Snapper

Waiting on an answer.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:01 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
There are more people in Baton Rouge than there are in Saskatchewan.
Somewhat irrelevant. Locals probably don't make up the majority of hunters up there. There are a ridiculous number of outfitters in Canada catering to people from all over the world. Why do you think so many people go to Canada? They go because the hunting is unreal and it's almost guaranteed good hunts.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Red Snapper

Yall do realize Smalls posted a list of aerial survey numbers for the months of sept, nov, dec, and jan from the year 2004-2014 on here. The january estimates of total ducks range from about 1.8 mil - 3 mil.

On this same thread, we have fools posting some made up list saying we kill 2.3 million ducks in one year. That's pretty wild, guess we are pretty good hunters, we don't leave any left to head back north and make more babies.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:30 AM
Red Snapper

December aerial survey estimate 2012 shows less ducks in LA than what the list says we harvested.
December aerial survey estimate 2013 shows less ducks in LA than what the list says we harvested.

Everyone on here that thinks we killed 2.7 million birds in 2012 and 2.3 million birds in 2013 shouls not be allowed to comment on this thread any more.

It's mind boggling that the USFW service would even publish such a list, but it's not mind boggling that all these DU supporters actually believe it.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:18 AM
Flounder

Cash: 633

To some this up

-DU is da devil and conspires wit da gubmint.
- Most Louisianians would be ok with limits that would wipe out migratory birds, then youd hear em moaning about how da gubmint wiped out da birds. MA RIGHTS! ITS MA RITE TO KILL INDISCRIMINATELY AND WITH NO REGARDS TO CONSERVATION!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
December aerial survey estimate 2012 shows less ducks in LA than what the list says we harvested.
December aerial survey estimate 2013 shows less ducks in LA than what the list says we harvested.

Everyone on here that thinks we killed 2.7 million birds in 2012 and 2.3 million birds in 2013 shouls not be allowed to comment on this thread any more.

It's mind boggling that the USFW service would even publish such a list, but it's not mind boggling that all these DU supporters actually believe it.
It really is hilarious that people actually believe this malarkey the gvmt puts out and calls it "data" ha! I can tell u the outfit I went to canada with this year hunts 6 days a week sept-oct and in 3 days we killed more birds than we will hunting 30 days here. Like u said. Limits are higher and almost guaranteed. And nope. Not one survey or kill for did I have to fill out. We were second week in camp and they were already well over 1k birds. It's also hilarious that they have the survey numbers there next to the "kill" numbers and ppl believe we actually kill more ducks than what are here haha.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:34 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:

Define "all", because I'm a DU supporter, and definitely never posted to the effect of believing that.

All of those estimates are based on HIP. Apparently no one here realizes that HIP stands for HARVEST INFORMATION PROGRAM. So yes, you do fill out a harvest report....it happens every year you buy a license. That would include anyone that hunted from out of state. I can't remember, but does HIP request information on the number of birds you killed in the particular state? Or in general? That could skew numbers easily if someone is just counting all of their birds. Another factor could be inaccurate reporting. You all know there are plenty of guys that will not tell the truth, and it wouldn't surprise me if there are those out there that would report idiotic numbers as opposed to zeros.

Then there is the information reported. Does anyone even pay attention to the fact that the standard deviation is 21% for the total duck harvest in 2013? That is pretty high. That means you could potentially knock over 450k off of that number. Of course, it could go the other way as well. those numbers are based on the total number of hunters and the seasonal harvest per hunter. I don't find it that hard to believe that 77,600 hunters averaged 31 birds a season. I mean, if every guy went out and killed a limit for 5 days, there is 30 birds right there.

Obviously, you have those guys that hunt close to 60 days a season, and probably limit nearly every day. That is 360 birds if you limit every day, and would equal the total kills for him plus 11 other hunters, based on those numbers. You've got guys that range all over in there between 0 and 360.

So, while those numbers seem high, with that information, it doesn't seem implausible. It is an estimate, not a hard number. Do I take them as hard fact and credit that do DU? No and No. Does DU deserve some credit for the work they do up north? Absolutely. They are putting in work on the PPR, just like Delta and USFWS. If they weren't working up there to protect those grasslands, there wouldn't be any ducks. Just like most of the midwest, those grasslands would have been converted to some sort of agricultural production, which would have degraded the habitat. But with those organizations and agencies working up there, there is at least some balance between agriculture and conservation.

Now, the real question is, does anyone actually believe that the total national harvest was actually 30% of all the ducks in the total estimated population in 2012?

Estimated Duck Population in 2012: 48.6 million
Estimated Harvest for 2012 (United States): 15.7 million
Percent of Population Harvested in 2012: 32%
Old 10-29-2015, 10:52 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Define "all", because I'm a DU supporter, and definitely never posted to the effect of believing that.

All of those estimates are based on HIP. Apparently no one here realizes that HIP stands for HARVEST INFORMATION PROGRAM. So yes, you do fill out a harvest report....it happens every year you buy a license. That would include anyone that hunted from out of state. I can't remember, but does HIP request information on the number of birds you killed in the particular state? Or in general? That could skew numbers easily if someone is just counting all of their birds. Another factor could be inaccurate reporting. You all know there are plenty of guys that will not tell the truth, and it wouldn't surprise me if there are those out there that would report idiotic numbers as opposed to zeros.

Then there is the information reported. Does anyone even pay attention to the fact that the standard deviation is 21% for the total duck harvest in 2013? That is pretty high. That means you could potentially knock over 450k off of that number. Of course, it could go the other way as well. those numbers are based on the total number of hunters and the seasonal harvest per hunter. I don't find it that hard to believe that 77,600 hunters averaged 31 birds a season. I mean, if every guy went out and killed a limit for 5 days, there is 30 birds right there.

Obviously, you have those guys that hunt close to 60 days a season, and probably limit nearly every day. That is 360 birds if you limit every day, and would equal the total kills for him plus 11 other hunters, based on those numbers. You've got guys that range all over in there between 0 and 360.

So, while those numbers seem high, with that information, it doesn't seem implausible. It is an estimate, not a hard number. Do I take them as hard fact and credit that do DU? No and No. Does DU deserve some credit for the work they do up north? Absolutely. They are putting in work on the PPR, just like Delta and USFWS. If they weren't working up there to protect those grasslands, there wouldn't be any ducks. Just like most of the midwest, those grasslands would have been converted to some sort of agricultural production, which would have degraded the habitat. But with those organizations and agencies working up there, there is at least some balance between agriculture and conservation.

Now, the real question is, does anyone actually believe that the total national harvest was actually 30% of all the ducks in the total estimated population in 2012?

I'm not really a DU hater, and any money that goes to breeding grounds and prairie pothole region is fine by me. However, I think DU has slowly gotten away from the true conservation organization it used to be.

As far as surveys, I understand how the HiP program works. I said that I have never been asked individual species. I also said that I don't know anyone who has been asked about the number of birds harvested in Canada.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:

Also, of those 77,600 hunters, I'm sure a large number of these people hunted once or twice.

There aren't but a handful of guys that hunt 60 days a kill limits every day.

On the HIP, i'm sure there are plenty of facepainters giving blind totals, and not individual totals.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
you think there aren't any outfitters in canada that dont hunt daily?
Quote:
Just like in Canada. I bet success rate in Canada is much higher, plus their limits are higher. I don't know any American's who have been contacted by Canadian WLF or whatever they have up there and asked how many birds they killed on their hunts up there.
Never said the didn't have them in the great white north. Just stating what I know here.

Is there public hunting lands in Canada?
Old 10-29-2015, 11:01 AM
Tripletail

Quote:

the HIP information is a joke. the little girl at the counter probably has asked me these questions maybe every other year, if that. and im sure you got guys that go up to the counter and make up numbers to make them look "hardcore" since they are wearing all of there DU hats and shirts.

i will go out on a limb and say that these harvest numbers are bogus.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:02 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Never said the didn't have them in the great white north. Just stating what I know here.

Everything is basically public as long as landowner gives permission.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

http://www.ec.gc.ca/reom-mbs/enp-nhs...?do=dis&lang=e

Have not looked at data. Just found the page.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:06 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
I'm not really a DU hater, and any money that goes to breeding grounds and prairie pothole region is fine by me. However, I think DU has slowly gotten away from the true conservation organization it used to be.

As far as surveys, I understand how the HiP program works. I said that I have never been asked individual species. I also said that I don't know anyone who has been asked about the number of birds harvested in Canada.
As is often the case with my comments, they are all encompassing. Some of those were not directed at you. This is not the first time I have seen people question where those numbers come from, and it clearly states they come from the HIP.

I also have never been asked how many of each species, so I agree with you there. Those numbers are being estimated based on hunter responses from surveys and the number of hunters who filled out a HIP. So, they select X number of hunters, send them a diary, and the hunter records the number of each species he kills throughout the season. They then extrapolate that out to the total hunters.

The fact of the matter is, those harvest numbers don't really play into any of the regulations, as I understand it. You don't set a limit based on what was done the previous year. You set it based on the population trends. I don't even know why anyone concerns themselves with the harvest data. It's a talking point as far as I'm concerned. The reason the limit in teal season went up to 6 and the reason we could have gone up to 3 specks was due to increases in the population.

Quote:
Also, of those 77,600 hunters, I'm sure a large number of these people hunted once or twice.

There aren't but a handful of guys that hunt 60 days a kill limits every day.

On the HIP, i'm sure there are plenty of facepainters giving blind totals, and not individual totals.
Precisely my point. Inaccurate survey numbers. If 3 guys hunt 10 days, and they kill 60 ducks between them, each one of them may very well report 60 ducks. When 3 guys are reporting 180 ducks, when in reality only 60 were killed, that skews the data and makes the harvest larger. The question is whether those hunters chosen for this survey are doing that. They may be. Who goes out on a hunt with his buddies, and reports that he killed a limit? No one. It's always "we killed a 3 man limit". You would think it would be clear that you are only reporting the ducks you killed, but some people ain't that bright.

I've always thought the "facepainters" knock was hilarious. I mean, didn't that craze start because of a show based on one of the most hardcore duck hunting families in the world? I bet 90% of people would never even think of calling Phil or Jace a facepainter to their face, but they sure as hell use the stuff.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:06 AM
Tripletail

Quote:

im pretty sure you can drive up to canada right now and pretty much pick out any field you want to set up in and not have an issue with hunting it.

i have some buddies in ND right now as we speak doing just that. driving around, finding birds, and knocking on doors getting permission. im sure they are enticing the land owner with louisiana seafood, but from my understanding, any land up there is pretty much free range... that being said, im sure that will change as more and more people keep doing this. but for now, what i am hearing is that is pretty much a free for all.