SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829
Cheers Weirs........

About two years ago I was sitting on my tailgate drinking a few beers talking with a guide about redfish at the weirs! We were discussing the number of reds taken each day.......

In our discussion we talked about how the weirs are not good for our lake but yet trap our fish!!!

We both agreed that the weirs should be off limits to fishing for 1000 feet both ways! This give our fish a chance to leave with out having 50 jig heads thrown at them!

What do you guys think about making the weirs off limits for fishing? Making a 1000 feet rule
Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Sounds like a great idea...just get a bigger spool.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

I agree with salty. W. That's ur hot spot man!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,188

that sounds like a great idea.....but you will never get most of the people who fish that area to agree with you. there is not an ounce of conservation in most people in this state. people still believe they can pay for their boats if they bring enough fish home. conservation won't occur here until it is called replenishing the stock.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediumheavyaction6'6 View Post
that sounds like a great idea.....but you will never get most of the people who fish that area to agree with you. there is not an ounce of conservation in most people in this state. people still believe they can pay for their boats if they bring enough fish home. conservation won't occur here until it is called replenishing the stock.

Truer words were never spoken. It's sad...but, it's true.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Why not leave them as is???

Not everybody can get out and fish every weekend like some. Not everybody knows every reef out there like some. And not everybody cares what size of fish, they go for meat. And the weirs are a place,for people to catch MEAT. Don't fix something that don't need fixing.
You got to take a step back and think about other people, than the big name fishermen.
And don't say well you need to for conservation. You,your self waltrip even said you can't outfish big lake with a rod-n-reel.

Yall sound like women, always complaining about something
Old 02-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post

Not everybody can get out and fish every weekend like some. Not everybody knows every reef out there like some. And not everybody cares what size of fish, they go for meat. And the weirs are a place,for people to catch MEAT. Don't fix something that don't need fixing.
You got to take a step back and think about other people, than the big name fishermen.
And don't say well you need to for conservation. You,your self waltrip even said you can't outfish big lake with a rod-n-reel.

Does your mom need to change your diaper????
Old 02-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post

No it just gets old. uhh why did we create this site? To get away from Whinners, and guess what? thats all i see here.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly D View Post
WE what did you build here

I'm wonderin' the same thing.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly D View Post
WE what did you build here

Sorry typo...Dang D aint gotta jump me
Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post

He's old enough to change his own.
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,188

Quote:

fool, you of all people should be out there advocating for conservation. your children will be less fortunate than you are. i am not a real big environmentalist but i see that if resources that are constantly taken by people who are unchecked are going to run out sooner than later. the way i see it, the best hunting clubs in this state and country are successful because of culling practices as well as conservation efforts. if we want the biggest and healthiest fish possible we should control the MEAT fishermen as you call them. just my .02
Old 02-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediumheavyaction6'6 View Post
fool, you of all people should be out there advocating for conservation. your children will be less fortunate than you are. i am not a real big environmentalist but i see that if resources that are constantly taken by people who are unchecked are going to run out sooner than later. the way i see it, the best hunting clubs in this state and country are successful because of culling practices as well as conservation efforts. if we want the biggest and healthiest fish possible we should control the MEAT fishermen as you call them. just my .02
I'm thinking for my generation bud, look at your fishing rulebook/phamplet. Now, you see all these rules and regs, yall keep wanting to add more rules, pretty soon, my "generation" isn't even going to be able to keep a darn fish!

Like i said,"don't fix it if it aint broken"
Old 02-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 343
Angry

Quote:
I'm thinking for my generation bud, look at your fishing rulebook/phamplet. Now, you see all these rules and regs, yall keep wanting to add more rules, pretty soon, my "generation" isn't even going to be able to keep a darn fish!

Like i said,"don't fix it if it aint broken"

FOOL, you are what is wrong with this "generation" Get your head out of your A@$ and start thinking about the future. You know nothing about what goes into limits or regulations, I use to respect you, but you have quickly overstepped your shoe size and gotten into a way of thinking that puts you way down on the list of people on this site.

When you get home from school, look up the redfish population struggles in louisiana over the past few decades. Look at the sandhill cranes. Look at any resource that isnt monitored closely and look what happens when changes arent dynamic.

Let me know.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak'em-n-stack'em View Post
FOOL, you are what is wrong with this "generation" Get your head out of your A@$ and start thinking about the future. You know nothing about what goes into limits or regulations, I use to respect you, but you have quickly overstepped your shoe size and gotten into a way of thinking that puts you way down on the list of people on this site.

When you get home from school, look up the redfish population struggles in louisiana over the past few decades. Look at the sandhill cranes. Look at any resource that isnt monitored closely and look what happens when changes arent dynamic.

Let me know.
Of all the people here, you would think that Fool would be as concerned with conservation, restoration and management as anyone. He loves the outdoors and has his entire life to enjoy it. Although he has a good head on his shoulders, he is thirteen years old and, like anyone his age, is influenced easily. I'll leave it at that.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak'em-n-stack'em View Post

Let me know.

My head is out of my azz. Thanks.

What pisses me off, is all the rules takes the fun out of fishing. I love it when the fish aint biting and i can go to the weirs and catch reds,why?? Because its fun!! I mean look at it like this..from a young kid who likes to fish..not me,"Daddy can we go catch reds at the weirs," "No buddy, some snot-nosed people dont allow that anymore"
The reds move around, the reds have plenty of time to get out of the weirs, yall act like people fish this place 24 friggin hours a day.
And i do care about the,"conservation", but you got to think about the average joe fishermen..Not some big trout,wannabe guide. Or some guy that knows every hole on that lake. Some people don't know any spots on biglake, and they fish the weirs for 2 sole purposes, to have fun, and catch fish to eat!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,811

I would say to allow "Youth Fishing" with in so many feet of the weirs...kinda like the youth hunting days.

It's always exciting to watch a young one fighting a redfish on a zebco.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Great White

I propose filling in the entire lake.
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

Im with fool I kinda disagree with guides filling there boat everyday but a lot of people don't have time to go all the time like me I go maybe 1 time a month and don't know all the spots like most of y'all
Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post
Im with fool I kinda disagree with guides filling there boat everyday but a lot of people don't have time to go all the time like me I go maybe 1 time a month and don't know all the spots like most of y'all
If those weirs are ever seriously discussed for closing....I doubt this reason will weigh in at all to keep them open.