SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:04 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Default Unsafe boaters!

As we all know, we have been preaching about courtesy on the water, safe boating, etc.etc.etc......

Well, I have been one of the more vocal guys from that other site asking for a IQ test before one can purchase a boat. This year has been no different than the last couple of years, but the incidents are coming at a more rapid rate w/ more severity. It won't be long before we read of another fatality down in the Dularge area, and I just hope I am not the innocent one getting hurt by these people w/ no business out there. I am not trying to sound like I know it all, or bash anyone, but that area down there is different and needs to be repected. Big Lake and Vermillion Bay can get rough like anywhere else, but they do not have the debris, shallow reefs, and navigation hazards as lower Terrobonne.

Their was a bay boat that actually ripped the entire motor from the hull this weekend after hitting a sunken barge that has been their for the last 15 years that I know of. It is on the southside of Sister Lake, next to a red channel marker, but this guy obviously did not know what side of the marker to be on! It amazes me that these people just jump in a boat and go! Last weekend, we had a guy and his wife leave a platform 30 minutes before us, and we were 11 miles from Grand Calliou Bayou. When we get to the cut, we stop to pee and see this guy coming from the east, 5 miles away. He catches up to us and follows me halfway across Sister Lake. Then he flags me down, saying he is lost and needs to know how to get back to Jugs. I tell him to follow me!

In closing, I think the internet plays a big part in what we see out on the water. We post pictures and reports of catches, and everyone wants to be a part of it, or thinks they can do it. Newbies need to "buddy boat" with someone that knows the area and can show them the ropes of the area. I hope some of these younger guys w/ new boats take this warning serious!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Send the "newbies" to Venice for a week. That will cure em or kill em!
We had a guy that was working with us in Venice & in 6 months destroyed 3 lower units! He thought as long as he could see water he could go!
YOU CANT FIX STUPID!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

i have my own boat. im respectful and not stupid i promise
Old 06-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 650

I like the point of a boating buddy, I also like the boating course, I mean no the laws of the water ways, we all started out somewhere but myself, i was always on the water with friends and their Dads who taught us. Now the fact that somepeople have no respect, I think sling shots should be allowed to just sting em real good, kind of like a shock collar.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRob View Post
I like the point of a boating buddy, I also like the boating course, I mean no the laws of the water ways, we all started out somewhere but myself, i was always on the water with friends and their Dads who taught us. Now the fact that somepeople have no respect, I think sling shots should be allowed to just sting em real good, kind of like a shock collar.

sling shots defiantly. on our river i slow down if someone is working a bank real close to trees, or if they are tied up fishing or have a lil one in the boat. (my boat doesn't throw a big wave its only a 25) but if i am fishing and somebody blows by me i sure as heck aint gunna slow down for them when i see them fishing!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:37 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

It's the DA's that slow down to half throttle and throw a psunami at you that really tick me off. Don't slow down if that is what you are going to do, just stay on plane.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Redfish

Cash: 603

Yea what ever you do if you see me in the river or a lake DO NOT slow down and idol by. That throws twice the wake and your taking three times as long to get by me. Just stay up on plane full throttle and blow on by PLEASE. give me the wave and Ill tip my hat back to ya. ESPESCIALLY in a river. By the time you come around a bend and see somebody on the side fishing you try to slow down and putt putt by. It does not help the situation it makes it worse so just ease over on the opposite side as far as you feel comfortable and keep on truckin. The old courtesy slow down and putt by is only ness. if you have a huge wake throwing boat when its on plane. If you dont throw a substantial wake no need to poke on by.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 650
Lmfao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Buxton View Post
Yea what ever you do if you see me in the river or a lake DO NOT slow down and idol by. That throws twice the wake and your taking three times as long to get by me. Just stay up on plane full throttle and blow on by PLEASE. give me the wave and Ill tip my hat back to ya. ESPESCIALLY in a river. By the time you come around a bend and see somebody on the side fishing you try to slow down and putt putt by. It does not help the situation it makes it worse so just ease over on the opposite side as far as you feel comfortable and keep on truckin. The old courtesy slow down and putt by is only ness. if you have a huge wake throwing boat when its on plane. If you dont throw a substantial wake no need to poke on by.
I am glad you said that cause I'm the ahole who slows way down when I see someone, and putput by, I hate to swamp someone and I really hate to be swamped when I have my kids, I turn red and come close to having a heart attack cause I TRY not to hollar and curse in front of them.
My boat is aluminum so i don't make a big wake at all. So keep on truckin, Now Trent if I get my butt kicked at a dock, you will be off my Christmas card list.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Buxton View Post
okay. will do. i normally stop way before i get there to them, but like you said, the bigger boats really do make me mad when they try and stop 2 ft before reaching you and throw one HUGE wake. but like aluminum boats i putt putt by making sure i throw no wake. i dont half way get up on plane to throw those huge wakes at them. i make sure to stop down from them. now if i dont see them til im close,i ussually holler sorry and keep on truckin. but when bass boats come hauling butt by and throw a rooster tail and all that stuff. Thats what makes me mad.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 811

respectful until im on the back of your jet ski. lol. Adam and aaron rode one before and they said its scary
Old 06-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 811

Dont forget about that orange 35 or so foot donzi that goes down the west fork!!!!!!!!!!!!!