SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:54 PM
*****Cajun *******

Cash: 662
Default taking care of your new billystix or your current rods

hi guys
i just wanted to post this helpful hint on how you can add many years of life to your current rods and any future rods that you purchase be it a custom billystix or one from walmart, as we all know the very most important thing is to give the rod a good hose down after each trip, well some times it's late or we might be tired or just had a little to much adult bevarage and it just doesnt get done for say a day or possibly never until next trip.
tip #1-- if you have bought a new rod take the rod out to the garage and find your car polish, now if you have paste fine if it's liquid shake it up good then apply it to the rod from end to end guides as well let dry and give it a very good wipe down with a dry cloth until you have a nice shine.
but dont stop just go ahead and do it a couple 3 times and do the same thing every now and again. "reason later"
tip--#2-- now have you ever heard of ""armour all wipes"' they come in a can and they are like a cloth napkin cost about $3 at wally world keep a can where you keep your rods, after you hose down your rods and get everthing put away at one point take one of those clothes out of the can and wipe down your rod, eyes as well after a few times doing this in combo with the first car polish deal you will see while fishing that the salt water will bead up on your rod, as you thump, bump. and otherwise move your rod not to mention "make your cast, this salt water will not linger on the rod or the guides, this also will prevent the wrapping around the guides from becoming brittle and lossing its color and strenghth.
it's a very minor thing to do to keep a $39.95 wally stick looking good or a $300 custom billystix looking as good as it did the day you recieved it.
i have some rods that are over 30 years old that i have been using armour all on for the entire time and they still look great. if you care for your rods just a bit they will last you a bit longer, i even use armourall on my reel seat's to keep them looking new just wipe on and wipe off.
hope you like this idea from billystix custom rods.
stix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEW--REDFISH-CHASING%20SHRIMP%20LOGO.jpg (62.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 10-24-2009, 02:01 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 643

Thanks billy.. I usually use some kind of gun oil like Rem-Oil, or some WD-40... But I wil take your work on it and get some armor all...
Old 10-24-2009, 02:07 PM
*****Cajun *******

cat daddy
the armourall will make a build up over time, it really helps to get a coat of good car polish on first then the armour all, the wipe's just make it so easy, because you can use one wipe several times, i have a can by my rod building chair and before any rod goes out i give it a wipe, this gives it a show room look when the customer opens his or her pkg.
stix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BILLYSTIX CUSTOM RODS.jpg (76.8 KB, 66 views)
Old 10-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Ling

Cash: 562

thanks for the advice billy, great arse lookin rods
Old 10-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Thanks for that Billy, that's some real good advice.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Billy, I'll do this to my STIX and my wally world cheap-o's. They got a wax that's in a spray bottle. Think that'll work ?
Old 10-24-2009, 05:39 PM
*****Cajun *******

Default jordon 's stix

jordon what stix ?
JUST LET ME SAY THIS, I TO HAVE RODS ON THE WALL IN MY GARAGE THAT I BOUGHT FROM "J.M. FIELDS" DOES ANY BODY REMEMBER THAT OUTFIT, SO I AIN ALWAYS BEEN THE HIGH DOLLAR ROD GUY RHAT YOU MIGHT THINK I AM, FOR ONE THING BACK THEN YOU COULD ALMOST BUY A STORE BOUGHT ROD THAT WAS NICER AND BETTER THAN A CUSTOM BECAUSE THERE WAS NOT MUCH CUSTOM STUFF TO BE HAD SO YOU WAS LIMITED TO WHAT YOU COULD DO.
AND YES YOU CAN USE SHOE POLISH IF YOU LIKE, ALL I WAS DOING WAS GIVING A LITTLE HELPFUL HINT AND SUGGESTION THAT HAS WORKED FOR ME AND MY CUSTOMERS FOR YEARS.
I AM SURE THERE ARE OTHER THINGS THAT I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THAT COULD BE MUCH BETTER AND IF I EVER HEAR OF THEM THEN I WILL LOOK INTO THOSE BUT FOR RIGHT NOW WHAT I KNOW "WORKS AND WHEN SOMETHING "WORKS" I NORMALLY GO WITH IT UNTIL I AM PROVEN WRONG OH JORDON ABOUT YOUR "STIX" WHATS UP WITH THAT LITTLE DIDDY WE NEED MORE INFO DONT WE GUY'S
STIX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg billystix%20rods--3%20--21--09%20006.jpg (43.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg its new viper time 007.jpg (92.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00259.jpg (42.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg hunter camo orange #2.jpg (91.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg hunter camo orange #3.jpg (91.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg hunter orange camo.jpg (92.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 10-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Pull up my post titled "my new billy stix" in the search. You'll see me stix u made for me. That thing is bad azz. I'll show u what I catch off of it tomorrow
Old 10-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Flounder

Cash: 649

Good info. thanks for the post.