SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:14 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Check out Butte LaRose

Is that a town, or place name? I can only find a street by that name in Alexandria.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:55 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Madisonville/Mandeville/Covington. Nicest place in the state IMO. Easy access corridor to great fishing all around. Small town living with big city amenities. Not the cheapest place in the state but very pretty and clean.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:30 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentythree View Post
Is that a town, or place name? I can only find a street by that name in Alexandria.
Its a little town east of lafayette on the edge of the atchafalaya basin, very close to all your interests except saltwater
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (48.3 KB, 387 views)
Old 06-13-2016, 07:19 AM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Check out Butte LaRose

Right on the $$ meaux. Rode through there yesterday, very cool area. In LC this morning looking forward to seeing what's here today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2016, 09:31 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
Right on the $$ meaux. Rode through there yesterday, very cool area. In LC this morning looking forward to seeing what's here today.

Ride the Creole Nature Trail around Big Lake. You'll see the saltwater fishing and duck hunting potential on the west side of Big Lake in Sabine Refuge. East Side of Big Lake you'll see more fishing opportunities, saltwater and bass fishing, and more great duck hunting habitat. Head east from there 20 minutes and you're in prime time rice field duck and goose hunting.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:50 AM
Sand Trout

I'll check it out, we're in moss bluff but heading that way next. Thx

Old 06-13-2016, 11:04 PM
Redfish

Cash: 669

If you like moss bluff send me a PM and I can hook you up with a great realtor.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 486

Hackberry or Venice

Old 06-14-2016, 10:54 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Quote:

One thing to be aware of with Butte LaRose is that when the Mississippi floods they send excess water down the Atcahfalaya wich can cause flooding in the Butte LaRose area, as well as anywhere else in teh basin. Inquire about flood insurance rates for the area.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:56 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
Ride the Creole Nature Trail around Big Lake. You'll see the saltwater fishing and duck hunting potential on the west side of Big Lake in Sabine Refuge. East Side of Big Lake you'll see more fishing opportunities, saltwater and bass fishing, and more great duck hunting habitat. Head east from there 20 minutes and you're in prime time rice field duck and goose hunting.
I love this drive. I never tire of it. One of the sweetest places I know.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:04 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I love this drive. I never tire of it. One of the sweetest places I know.
No doubt about it, one of the best drives in the State. Kills me when they mow the damn indian blankets growing on the side of the highway. Morons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2016, 09:58 AM
Sand Trout

The creole nature trail was a great drive. There lots of great places here we've basically spent the last seven days riding the southern part of the state checking out all the places y'all mentioned on here. The final decision of where to live will be a tough one. I think we've done pretty good for a first trip, we've seen lotsa stuff and eaten way too much great Cajun food. I'm looking forward to getting out on the water tomorrow morning, private tour of the Atchafalaya in a mud boat should be a great finale to an awesome trip. Thanks again for all the comments, they really gave us some good direction on this trip. -Troy

Old 06-15-2016, 10:56 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Quote:
The creole nature trail was a great drive. There lots of great places here we've basically spent the last seven days riding the southern part of the state checking out all the places y'all mentioned on here. The final decision of where to live will be a tough one. I think we've done pretty good for a first trip, we've seen lotsa stuff and eaten way too much great Cajun food. I'm looking forward to getting out on the water tomorrow morning, private tour of the Atchafalaya in a mud boat should be a great finale to an awesome trip. Thanks again for all the comments, they really gave us some good direction on this trip. -Troy

That's great man. Glad you guys had such a nice trip. When you move here be prepared to gain a few pounds, there's always a neighbor cooking something and don't be scared to go back for seconds. An empty pot is the best compliment you can give to a Cajun cook!
Old 06-15-2016, 11:14 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:

Not sure how far north ya'll made it, but Evangeline Parish and St. Landry Parish are not bad places to live. A lot of hunting opportunities, freshwater fishing can be found all over the place, and you are only about 2 hours from Big Lake if you are in Ville Platte. I live east of Opelousas, and I'm about 30-40 minutes from the Basin, Miller's Lake, and Chicot Lake. 20 minutes from Thistlewaite. About an hour, hour and a half from Lacassine, and about an hour and a half from Big Lake.

Btw, the largest incorporated area in Evangeline is Ville Platte at less than 10,000 people. Neither St. Landry or Evangeline are heavily populated, but you can still live relatively close to the big city anemities.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:46 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
No joke I drive right by that road every day on my way home from work. It does parrellel a bayou but not what you're looking for.lol
Old 06-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Sailfish

Quote:

You'll find that Louisiana peeps are pretty damn awesome man. bj is right we are always cooking and never want you to leave hungry. You'll find tons of people on this site more than willing to give advice to help you learn fishing and hunting spots. Great people here even when we are giving each other a hard time. Grab a chair a beer and enjoy the ride. You'll love it here. Good luck to you on your new journey in life.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Not sure how far north ya'll made it, but Evangeline Parish and St. Landry Parish are not bad places to live. A lot of hunting opportunities, freshwater fishing can be found all over the place, and you are only about 2 hours from Big Lake if you are in Ville Platte. I live east of Opelousas, and I'm about 30-40 minutes from the Basin, Miller's Lake, and Chicot Lake. 20 minutes from Thistlewaite. About an hour, hour and a half from Lacassine, and about an hour and a half from Big Lake.

Btw, the largest incorporated area in Evangeline is Ville Platte at less than 10,000 people. Neither St. Landry or Evangeline are heavily populated, but you can still live relatively close to the big city anemities.

Nice in that area. T Boy's still have their awesome boudin? Haven't been there in years.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:54 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Nice in that area. T Boy's still have their awesome boudin? Haven't been there in years.
Don't make it over to Eunice often, and don't know that I've ever had their boudin. Far as I know it's still there though. Prefer Billy's boudin myself. Can't beat those pepperjack boudin balls!

Old 06-15-2016, 11:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,296
Default Where would you live in LA?

No not a realtor, haha. So you've seen Lake Charles, if you like it, look at Lacassine, just East of Lake Charles if you want small town, no traffic, but close to all mentioned above. Little to no crime, no I don't live there, but close to everything you like. And property will cost way less.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:16 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

I guess I missed this one.
I have to throw Assumption Parish in the hat. While I was growing up we had a camp in Belle River. After I got out of college I was working in the refineries on the river in Baton Rouge and stayed at the camp in Belle River. To make a long story short, met a girl from Pierre Part and have never left.

TO be honest I dont think I would want to liver anywhere else.
Some of the reasons.
Small town with little crime.
Great elementary and primary schools.
Great fresh water fishing in my back yard.
Far enough from the coast to not have to worry about storm surge.
1hr 15min to Cocodrie, Dularge, Point a Chene, some for the best salt water fishing in the state.
30 minutes to Bayou Black. Great fresh water fishing.
2 hours to Grand Isle for offshore fishing.
15 minute car ride and 20 minute boat ride to Attakapas management area. Good duck and deer hunting.
30 minute car ride and 45 minute boat ride to both wax lake outlet (duck hunting) and Atchafalaya delta(deer Hunting)
45 minutes to Gonzales, Baton Rouge, Houma. All of the shopping and work you need.
1hr 15min to New Orleans airport to get you anywhere in the world. I have no other use for New Orleans.