SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193
Default What Would You Do?

To start my 15 year old boy is a level headed, sharp yound man. That being said.
He is taking a spanish class (required course) and his teacher wants the class to say the Pledge of Alliegence in spanish. He told the teacher he wouldnt do it. I agree with him 100%. I told him he was more than welcome to make a zero on that assignment. He's a free thinker and we encourage that within reason. Im proud of him for standing his ground and refusing to say the Pledge in a foreign language. I understand the merits of the class but the Pledge is sacred ground IMO.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Wouldn't he only need to say the pledge of allegiance in America?
Old 02-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

The language in the US is English. You and he made the right choice.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 899

I don't know about making an English speaking natural born citizen sing it in Spanish, but an legalized immigrant singing it in their native tongue may not be a problem. If they don't speak any language other than their native language I would be glad they are paying homage to the country. Don't forget our ancestors were all immigrants in the beginning.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
Wouldn't he only need to say the pledge of allegiance in America?
Exactly my thoughts. Unfortunatly we will soon be a predominate spanish country if the flood gates arent closed. Between the mexicans and the muslims sheet is gettin real in a hurry.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:06 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibb View Post
I don't know about making an English speaking natural born citizen sing it in Spanish, but an legalized immigrant singing it in their native tongue may not be a problem. If they don't speak any language other than their native language I would be glad they are paying homage to the country. Don't forget our ancestors were all immigrants in the beginning.
Point taken and I realize that. Asking an English speaking American to recite the pledge in a foreign language is too much though. IMO
Old 02-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Trophy Trout

Yeah it is. I know that wasn't the question, but was just adding that because even though illegals need to be sent back citizenized ones do get some hate. I figured sooner or later the thread may turn that way.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 918

Did you know the USA has no official language? It's awesome that he's standing up for something, but I don't see it as unpatriotic.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:37 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibb View Post
Yeah it is. I know that wasn't the question, but was just adding that because even though illegals need to be sent back citizenized ones do get some hate. I figured sooner or later the thread may turn that way.
Wasnt trying to dog you so I hope it didnt come across that way. I have a good friend that was an Hungarian Olypian and now is an American citizen and even a Sherrifs deputy for our parish. People doing it right have all of my support.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillionaire View Post
Did you know the USA has no official language? It's awesome that he's standing up for something, but I don't see it as unpatriotic.
The last sentence is a joke right? It is very sad that we do not have english as our official language. We have a bunch of pu??y politicians to thank for that.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Trophy Trout

It wasn't. In French class we were required to say the pledge in French. Also, had to learn prayers in French.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:08 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Wasnt trying to dog you so I hope it didnt come across that way. I have a good friend that was an Hungarian Olypian and now is an American citizen and even a Sherrifs deputy for our parish. People doing it right have all of my support.

No offense taken.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 618

I think that being required to learn to pledge of allegiance in another language may lead young people to think about the actual words being said. May not be a bad idea. Saying the pledge an additional time in a day(in english in the morning and in spanish later in class) doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. I don't see what is unpatriotic about the exercise. I do wish less spanish and more french was taught in south louisiana though with the rich history that we have.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:30 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkmoremilk View Post
I think that being required to learn to pledge of allegiance in another language may lead young people to think about the actual words being said. May not be a bad idea. Saying the pledge an additional time in a day(in english in the morning and in spanish later in class) doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. I don't see what is unpatriotic about the exercise. I do wish less spanish and more french was taught in south louisiana though with the rich history that we have.
Agreed. My grandparents spoke French and my friends grandparents spoke German, but neither of us can. I think it's a shame
Old 02-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkmoremilk View Post
I would much rather he be learing french. Still not sure how I would feel about the pledge in french. I love and admire the heritage of our state so dont get me wrong. If we had (I think we should) a state pledge I think it should be spoken in cajun french. John
Old 02-20-2014, 10:38 PM
Sailfish

Valid points by everyone. If you arent willing to change your views based on new info you are wasting your life.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:39 PM
Flounder

Cash: 612

Well as a vet that has been in combat i see no issue with them saying it. I also support your and his right to refuse to say it in spanish. This is a personal choice and there is no right or wrong answer.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by saodma View Post
Well as a vet that has been in combat i see no issue with them saying it. I also support your and his right to refuse to say it in spanish. This is a personal choice and there is no right or wrong answer.
Thank you for your service. No matter what our opinion we owe it to people like you. Thank you sir and God Bless you and your family. John
Old 02-20-2014, 10:51 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,460

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
The last sentence is a joke right? It is very sad that we do not have english as our official language. We have a bunch of pu??y politicians to thank for that.
The reason no official language is to keep the country as free as possible. 200+ years ago we had English, French, German, Dutch, Spanish (who at one time owned our little area known as Louisiana today) and many other settlements across the country.

I think the problem here is we associate this with our illegal immigration problems in this country. Language or an official language isn't the issue and personally I wouldn't support an official language. The last thing we need are more laws. We just need to enforce the ones on the books now and build a wall in the southern part of the country.

But our polititicians have no kahunas and are scared to be called cruel or bigets.

If your son is doing it for what he believes to be an attempt in the school to make a political statement then I say let him do it but I would check his grade in the class first. If he has bad grade then you might want to deal with it a different way.

Last edited by pricecb; 02-20-2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,502

I agree that there is no right or wrong answer IMO ... I think it's good for your son to take a stand on his beliefs as long as he's doing it for the right reasons, some kids would do it just for the attention and to look like a rebel (I don't at all think this is the case here) and that's not right, but it seems like he's doing it for the right reasons so good for him!!