SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:03 AM
Redfish

Cash: 969
Default Shrimp Weight

Two questions. How many pounds would you estimate a 5 gallon bucket of headless 16-20 count shrimp would weigh?

Slightly more obscure.... How many pounds of headless shrimp would you estimate if you filled a standard gallon bag without over stuffing?

I'm trying to see if my wife was taken by a door to door shrimp salesman.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:21 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965

2/3 of a gallon of tails with no water in the bag is gonna be real close to 6lbs of tails, which roughly equates to 10 lbs of head on shrimp. I used to sell seafood, and this is a good rule of thumb. Not perfect, but pretty dang close
Old 07-17-2014, 11:04 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr crab View Post
2/3 of a gallon of tails with no water in the bag is gonna be real close to 6lbs of tails, which roughly equates to 10 lbs of head on shrimp. I used to sell seafood, and this is a good rule of thumb. Not perfect, but pretty dang close
X2
Old 07-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

a quart bad holds 1.25 pounds of headless shrimp 4 quarts in a gallon so roughly 5 pounds of shrimp in a gallon bag.

a 5 gallon bucket holds about 30lbs of shrimp
Old 07-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,460

FYI when dealing with the wife it is better to just say Great job on the shrimp, fish, cooking, flooring,.........

Then in about 2 weeks show her in some way how much a pound/5 pounds or whatever they should look like. Other wise its a fight that nots worth fighting. and you cant win anyway the shrimp are bought and paid.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricecb View Post
FYI when dealing with the wife it is better to just say Great job on the shrimp, fish, cooking, flooring,.........

Then in about 2 weeks show her in some way how much a pound/5 pounds or whatever they should look like. Other wise its a fight that nots worth fighting. and you cant win anyway the shrimp are bought and paid.
hahaha good point
Old 07-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,343

My wife got taken by one last year. It is to the point where I won't even let a door to door salesperson tell me what the are selling. It is sad so many people look to take advantage of someone else.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:02 PM
Flounder

Cash: 773

In the Duson area there was a door to door shrimp salesmen "trying to sell shrimp." The guy walked into my neighbors back yard with one shrimp in his hand, looking suspicious. No one was home though. He left his house, came to mine next. Wife was able to grab his license plate number as he was leaving. Called neighbor (who happens to be a cop), ran the plates, there was a warrant out for his arrest (burglary), cops pulled him over 15 minutes down the road and arrested him. He had stolen items in the vehicle. Turns out he only had about 15 lbs of shrimp in an ice chest.

Seems like he bought some shrimp at the store, went riding around in the middle of the day scoping out people's houses, and if he happened to run into someone he could wave the shrimp and say "oh, I'm selling shrimp, would you like any?"

The guy was from baton rouge.

Not stereotyping all shrimp salesmen. Just sharing my experience.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 587

If they are selling door to door or out the back of a truck the most have a permit for that. Fyi...
Old 07-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,364

Shrimp have a 60% yield. Same as what Mr. Crab said. So $5 a pound = $8.33.
$5/.60=$8.33. The door to door guys hate me when I call them on their so called good deal. They are the biggest rip off. Its best to go to a seafood market to buy.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fisherman View Post
Two questions. How many pounds would you estimate a 5 gallon bucket of headless 16-20 count shrimp would weigh?

Slightly more obscure.... How many pounds of headless shrimp would you estimate if you filled a standard gallon bag without over stuffing?

I'm trying to see if my wife was taken by a door to door shrimp salesman.
Before I read Saute86 post that said shrimp tails = about 60% .....

I was thinking a 5 gallon bucket holes about 25 lbs of live shrimp and estimated that it would take about 40 lbs of live shrimp, tails only to fill the 5 gallon bucket.

25# /.60 = 41.7 lbs. to fill the bucket.

Last year I helped catch a couple hundred pounds of shrimp. We headed and tailed them and put them in quart size bags. Doing that I figured each bag weighted about 2 pounds each and = about 5 lbs of whole shrimp.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:25 AM
Redfish

Cash: 969

Yeah. I'm thinking she got hosed. We are up in central LA. I'll have to get the full story when she gets back tonight, but the numbers aren't adding up. Plus, the dude knocked on the door at 8:30. My wife thought it was our elderly neighbor, and that's the only reason she opened the door. That won't happen again!