SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:19 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449
Default Travel Trailer question

my dad just bought a camper with an expired license plate, the title is missing and he is leaving to go on vacation monday, so no time to remedy the situation. My question is, Would it be better to roll with the expired license plate or just remove the plate all together?
Old 07-18-2014, 08:54 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

I would think he is less likely to be noticed with an expired license then if he had none. in fact having none might make it look even more suspicious. either way, if he is stopped and having no title it might be seized on the spot with everything in it and sent to police impound yard until it clears the stolen vehicle background check through the last registered legal owner and he says its not stolen. if the last legally registered owner wants it back, then its his to pick up and leave with and your dad is SOL that's why you never buy ANYTHING without a clear title, even if its from a sweet little old lady or a priest.

your dad needs more to prove ownership beyond a simple bill of sale and he will be taking a big chance taking it out on the road in its illegal state and I hope he didn't buy lawn art if the title cant be sorted out.

good luck with it
Old 07-18-2014, 08:57 AM
King Mackeral

The camper was previously owned by Recreational Rentals, a company owned by our current company. And we have a copy of the title but thats it
Old 07-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAssasin View Post
The camper was previously owned by Recreational Rentals, a company owned by our current company. And we have a copy of the title but thats it
that's good and its easy to sort out, just have them apply for a duplicate title (think it costs $6 IIRC) it takes about 2-3 weeks for the new title to come in the mail then you can do the transfer. had to do that for an old trailer I had to sell then I found the original title a month after it was sold lol.

as long as he has the copy of the title then there shouldn't be any problems if checked on the road since he proof to show the chain of ownership. but he still might get the ticket for expired license lol.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:05 AM
King Mackeral

Sweet thanks!