SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357
Default Why not in Louisiana???

I copied this from the 2cool site. Why in the hell can't this be done here? Where did our money from BP go?

I believe the money is coming from a couple main sources. 1. BP/DeepWater Horizon fund thru TPW. 2. CCA.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/ba...ow-6453996.php

'The $4.7 million to finance the project will come from the $1 billion Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Natural Resource Damage Assessment, funded by London-based BP in the wake of the 2010 disaster that ravaged Gulf life.'

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124

Are you serious??!! Why not in Louisiana??? Did ya just move here or something???
Old 03-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Are you serious??!! Why not in Louisiana??? Did ya just move here or something???
Been here all my 50 years. Just trying to wake this forum up lol

Old 03-17-2017, 09:18 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Uh, have we even received any of the BP money yet?

And we have far more important uses for that money than building some reef. We need to rebuild MARSH, not concrete reefs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2017, 10:58 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Uh, have we even received any of the BP money yet?

And we have far more important uses for that money than building some reef. We need to rebuild MARSH, not concrete reefs.

I'm sure the state government and CCA are on it. They'll rebuild, protect and post all private marsh. Now, looking at this without blinders, I wasn't pinpointing concrete reefs. It was a blanket statement to the fact that cca Texas and the Texas government work together to protect the natural resources for all to enjoy. Not just the select few with deep pockets.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:53 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrunner757 View Post
I'm sure the state government and CCA are on it. They'll rebuild, protect and post all private marsh. Now, looking at this without blinders, I wasn't pinpointing concrete reefs. It was a blanket statement to the fact that cca Texas and the Texas government work together to protect the natural resources for all to enjoy. Not just the select few with deep pockets.

Well, looking at this without blinders, Texas does not have the same coastal issues that we do. So, I'm ok with money going into restoring private marsh if it means billions of dollars of infrastructure is protected.

Marsh isn't all about fish, shrimp, and crabs.

And considering CCA Louisiana doesn't actually give a rats *** about anything other than fish, shrimp, and crabs, I don't really see them working with CPRA much on this, considering CPRA is mainly concerned with maintaining a viable coastline and coastal marshes, regardless of the benefit to wildlife and fisheries.

You're looking at this all wrong. Texas is using that BP money on marine fish habitat. Louisiana is intent on using it on marsh restoration and shoreline protection projects. Texas has the luxury of using money to build habitat. We don't.

So take the blinders off. Maybe if the coastal marsh wasn't privately owned, you wouldn't be whining about "the select few with deep pockets". But those "select few" hold the keys to the future of places like Lake Charles, Kaplan, Morgan City, etc. You lose that private marsh, and Lake Charles will be surrounded by a levee and Big Lake part of the Gulf of Mexico in 50 years.

How does that sound to you?

Old 03-18-2017, 07:45 AM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,810

Quote:
Well, looking at this without blinders, Texas does not have the same coastal issues that we do. So, I'm ok with money going into restoring private marsh if it means billions of dollars of infrastructure is protected.

Marsh isn't all about fish, shrimp, and crabs.

And considering CCA Louisiana doesn't actually give a rats *** about anything other than fish, shrimp, and crabs, I don't really see them working with CPRA much on this, considering CPRA is mainly concerned with maintaining a viable coastline and coastal marshes, regardless of the benefit to wildlife and fisheries.

You're looking at this all wrong. Texas is using that BP money on marine fish habitat. Louisiana is intent on using it on marsh restoration and shoreline protection projects. Texas has the luxury of using money to build habitat. We don't.

So take the blinders off. Maybe if the coastal marsh wasn't privately owned, you wouldn't be whining about "the select few with deep pockets". But those "select few" hold the keys to the future of places like Lake Charles, Kaplan, Morgan City, etc. You lose that private marsh, and Lake Charles will be surrounded by a levee and Big Lake part of the Gulf of Mexico in 50 years.

How does that sound to you?

u

Doesn't sound worth a ****..... I'm not much on saltwater fishing anymore but I don't want to lose my duck habitat.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:12 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

I didn't get my bp money yet. i'd rather them give me a fat check than have the government waste it.
the coast is screwed, enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Red Snapper

All good points. Yes, the marshes need protection, but they will close access to the public at the same time. This Coastal Master Plan is a pie in the sky. The state will squander the money as usual.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:31 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

1. LA doesn't need artificial reefs. It needs new, efficient sediment supply to it's marshes particularly in SELA.
2. CPRA is one of the best run departments in the state. If any group will run **** like they should, it's CPRA.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:43 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrunner757 View Post
All good points. Yes, the marshes need protection, but they will close access to the public at the same time. This Coastal Master Plan is a pie in the sky. The state will squander the money as usual.

What marshes that the public currently has access to will be closed??

You aren't making any sense. Isn't there another thread or 10 on here where people are complaining about how all of the marsh is ALREADY posted??

Anyway, you agree, the marshes need protecting. Can we get a mod to shut this thread now? No need to go further.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:38 PM
Red Snapper

No need to lock the thread. This is just discussion. You haven't said anything to upset me and hopefully I haven't to you. If so I surely apologize. You're right, I can't specify what I'm saying. More a fear. Already the landowners over here are claiming state waters.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 PM
King Mackeral

Most of the marsh restoration planned in the current master plan is on existing private land.

If we just ignored private marsh because everyone doesn't have access, there would be very little coastal restoration to be had.

I too, would like to see those marshes open to the public, but unless you can enfore laws to protect all of that marsh, what's stopping people from running all over tearing it up?

Sabine, Lacassine, Cameron Prairie, Rockefeller...all have regulations on where you can go and what you can go there in. Those marshes are largely protected because of this.

If all of that private marsh becomes public, who is going to protect it? Who is going to make sure people aren't running all over in surface drives?

When they figure those questions out, great. Go for it.

For now, restore the private marshes so we all have coastal lakes to fish in, abundant fisheries, and protection for our infrastructure.

What is Louisiana without it's coastal Marshes? Any other state.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:18 PM
Red Snapper

Well said and I can agree with that. There is a huge problem with people who do not respect others properly. A few bad eggs will spoil the bunch.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:21 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
What marshes that the public currently has access to will be closed??

You aren't making any sense. Isn't there another thread or 10 on here where people are complaining about how all of the marsh is ALREADY posted??

Anyway, you agree, the marshes need protecting. Can we get a mod to shut this thread now? No need to go further.

I can give you one area. The state spent Millions of dollars to purchase elmers island to restore public access. then they spent at least another million restoring the road to access the beach. now they decide that they need to repair the dunes .These dunes are at the closest 75 yds and the farthest 150 yds from the waters edge. The state took money from CPRA to do this work and now They tell us that there will be no more vehicle access to the areas that they spent millions on to provide that access.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
I can give you one area. The state spent Millions of dollars to purchase elmers island to restore public access. then they spent at least another million restoring the road to access the beach. now they decide that they need to repair the dunes .These dunes are at the closest 75 yds and the farthest 150 yds from the waters edge. The state took money from CPRA to do this work and now They tell us that there will be no more vehicle access to the areas that they spent millions on to provide that access.
Coonasses are trashy people in general It's a fact That's why we can't have anything nice. Elmers was nice when it was privately owned. Once the coonasses were allowed it looks like New Iberia on the beach
Old 03-20-2017, 12:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

I thought all them people trowing their trash out the front door of their camps in vermillion parish was going to stop coastal erosion?
Old 03-20-2017, 01:51 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
But can the public still access Elmer's Island?

Because they couldn't at one point. So regardless of what they decided to do with the road, the public can still access it.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,074

Has anybody fished the East Side of the Mississippi across from Empire?

Man that area is awesome looking, since they took the locks out and let the river flow.
I saw several huge groves of Elephant Ears, and the seaweed growing up from the bottom of the ponds is catching silt like crazy!!

The fishing is awesome in that area.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,063
Default b

Quote:
Originally Posted by southLA View Post
1. LA doesn't need artificial reefs. It needs new, efficient sediment supply to it's marshes particularly in SELA.
2. CPRA is one of the best run departments in the state. If any group will run **** like they should, it's CPRA.

x2