SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 919
Default duck regulations

I was just wondering if any of you guys could help me figure somthing out.I just a leased a crawfish pond full of rice for this season.The rice hasnt been cut,and im not sure if he plans to cut it.Hes going to water buffalo some ponds in the back for us but im not sure if it is legal to hunt over uncut rice.I dont want any trouble with the fuzz and wlf.com isnt to informative.Wondering if you guys could help me answer this question.Last thang i want is to go before a federal magastrate.

Last edited by mallard matt; 10-28-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: SPELLING ERROR
Old 10-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard matt View Post
I was just wondering if any of you guys could help me figure somthing out.I just a leased a crawfish pond full of rice for this season.The rice hasnt been cut,and im not sure if he plans to cut it.Hes going to water buffalo some ponds in the back for us but im not sure if it is legal to hunt over uncut rice.I dont want any trouble with the fuzz and wlf.com isnt to informative.Wondering if you guys could help me answer this question.Last thang i want is to go before a federal magastrate.
From what I understand, if the farmer buffalos it, it is considered a farming practice. I've hunted over buffaloed rice before without any problems, but you might want to make sure. But the last guy I talked to said if it is considered a farming practice, they can't do anything to you. Another guy told me LDWF told him that they can't do anything if you use your 4 wheeler to put out your decoys. GET IT!!!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Call the game warden....From what I have heard, if you plant rice in a field and you have not cut the first crop you cannot hunt that field. Again, I would contact the local game warden and explain your situation to him....If you do find something out, please let us know.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:15 AM
Redfish

Cash: 699

I have crawfish ponds and from what I understand if the farmer buffalos (the entire field of rice) it is common farming practice and you can hunt the field, can't do just potholes near blinds and good luck on getting a crawfish farmer to buffalo the rice and other vegetation in a pond he plans to fish this season.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:48 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 643

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellalilyslicker View Post
I have crawfish ponds and from what I understand if the farmer buffalos (the entire field of rice) it is common farming practice and you can hunt the field, can't do just potholes near blinds and good luck on getting a crawfish farmer to buffalo the rice and other vegetation in a pond he plans to fish this season.

Correct.. You either buffalo it ALL or NONE at all. you can hunt over the rice stalks still standing because its considered a farm practice like said above. its kinda like a food plot..

Also I heard that you can bait ducks, like bury sacks of rice, beans, potatoes, acorns, ect... but you have to hunt 100 yards away from it.. Might be able to catch em on their way.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:26 AM
Redfish

Cash: 699

Matt, just put your decoys out in the standing rice with a couple mojos. Crawfish ponds are flooded about 15 to 20 inches deep so the decoys are usually easy for ducks to see and I can't help it when I just keep walking in circles trying to get my spread right!!!!
Old 10-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddy View Post
Correct.. You either buffalo it ALL or NONE at all. you can hunt over the rice stalks still standing because its considered a farm practice like said above. its kinda like a food plot..

Also I heard that you can bait ducks, like bury sacks of rice, beans, potatoes, acorns, ect... but you have to hunt 100 yards away from it.. Might be able to catch em on their way.

Kinda like with turkeys...gotta hunt "ex" amount of feet away if i rember right
Old 10-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
Kinda like with turkeys...gotta hunt "ex" amount of feet away if i rember right
Yea, I know with turkeys you gotta be 100 yards away. I would imagine its the same with ducks.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:

Been there done that 2 years ago.... Here is the deal.... if you buffalo you have to do the whole thing..(STUPID)

Or plow it or bush hog it..... OR better than all.... Let it head out cut the second crop and let it all go back in the pond....
Old 10-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Default crap

Called multiple game wardens one said if i alter the crop in anyway its illegal.Ever if we water buffalo the whole feild.One was freindly and said that some of it will get mashed while i fix my decoys up,and thats not a problem.But i cant alter it,i cant cut it i would of had to do it before the rice sprouted.There is some open water but not much looks like im gonna need some mojos,and ill see if we can pump some more water in it right before the season also.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

Quote:
Called multiple game wardens one said if i alter the crop in anyway its illegal.Ever if we water buffalo the whole feild.One was freindly and said that some of it will get mashed while i fix my decoys up,and thats not a problem.But i cant alter it,i cant cut it i would of had to do it before the rice sprouted.There is some open water but not much looks like im gonna need some mojos,and ill see if we can pump some more water in it right before the season also.
Remember what I said about using your 4 wheeler to put out the dekes. You make your own pond.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Default Thank you!

I just want to say thanks for all the help fellas realy aprreciate it.Good luck and happy hunting
Old 10-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:

We talked to Todd D. about this.... We told him we were buffaloing the whole field and going to hunt.... He said as long its the whole thing and not a pot hole..... But you can bush hog a pot hole!! Now explain that one
Old 10-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
We talked to Todd D. about this.... We told him we were buffaloing the whole field and going to hunt.... He said as long its the whole thing and not a pot hole..... But you can bush hog a pot hole!! Now explain that one

boy that makes alot of sense
Old 10-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Yella that was some good sound advice. This is how the Salty Cajun Rolls!

Good Luck this season Matt, and once those frost start setting in that stand of rice will start thinning out and expose more water!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,529

keep growing rice not sugar cane...
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 10-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618
Default Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
keep growing rice not sugar cane...

You got that right! Along the interstate, east of the Laccassine exit it used to be nothing but low lying fields with rice and crawfish all the time, on my way to work in the evenings you could see all the ducks you wanted, now all you see is sugarcane and not one duck! I hate sugar cane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Supports zero habitat for wildlife! We can thank our Ag. Dept. for that one!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

YES....you see a lot more sugar cane every year in the South LA area. I know this has to have some effect on the duck hunting.

Matt thanks for the official info about the rice field. I did not think you could hunt over a corp of rice ....ie.....buffalo the field/bush hog it down....that has not been harvested.
If it is the 2nd crop of rice then you can do whatever to the exsiting standing rice.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,525
Default Normal Agricultural Practices

Anything that constitutes normal agricultural practices in the manipulation of a field cannot be considered baiting. If your hunting a field planted in rice, and the first crop has been cut....you can do anything you wish to the second crop and hunt over it....If the first crop has not been cut...you cannot manipulate it in anyway....you can hunt it but you can't buffalo, bushhog, burn or do anything else to it that would scatter the seeds. If you are hunting a crawfish pond with uncut rice and the rice has headed....you can't do anything...just hunt it like it is...the ducks will be there.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 652

I am trying to remember, but last year at the Delta plantation in Jonesville all the crops flooded from the storm and the farmers were not able to do anything to the crops and they closed hunting for the first split. When the second split came around they gave the guys the option to hunt, but it was at your own risk, meaning the wardens could still go out there and use there discretion and maybe write you a ticket for hunting over bait. I really think the DWLF need to have a clear cut set of rules on this issue, cause this seems to be an issue every year right before duck season opens.