SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > Stories, History, and Tributes

Stories, History, and Tributes Got a story to tell about your childhood, someone you admired, or some interesting history to share? This is the place!

Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Cash: 1,526

68 and I should be dead????
Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,063

Playing mables in the dirt, shooting robins in the chicken trees and stealing grandpaws Red Man. I'd go back in a second!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,550

75er here

The difference is that we had to think for ourselves and we were all the better for it. Now we have to protect our children from themselves because they can not make even simple decisions. Now days if you try to make kids think for themselves or discipline them you are either neglectful or abusive. That is a lot of the reason this country is going to the crapper.

The other day I found out that my 13 year old step son can not read a clock!!!! I ask him what the hell was wrong with him and started to give him the third degree and his mother tells me and I quote "leave him alone he will learn in his own good time" I still dont think she realizes why I started laughing my *** off.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Me and my brother use to go the gas station not to far from our house and buy packs of BB's to go shoot in the woods....... My son (who is 7) was at wal mart with and wanted some BB's so he pulled out his wallet (birthday and allowance money) and went to pay for his BB's.....don't you know you have to be 18 to buy BB's now. Kids these days are weiny's and I'm trying to make sure my kids don't turn out that way.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

If i had a quarter for every robin,black bird,cow bird,blue jay, chee chee bird etc. That i killed with my bb gun when i was a kid i wouldn't be working today. The only birds off limits were cardinals, wood******s and hummingbirds. My grandpa would give us a dollar for every brown thrush we would kill that was his favorite. I remember one time shooting a blue jay and breaking his wing my grandpa picked that sucker up and started poking it's tail with his fingers. He said boys get ready and sure nuff that sucker started hollering and blue jays were coming out the wood works we had a pretty heafty gumbo that night. That was a long time ago in the 80's.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,426

Here's to those born in 1958 like me. Never came in the house unilt well after dark and after mom threatened me at least 3 times. If I had been fined for every robin I shot it would take the national debt to pay it. Fished with cane poles and worms. There were no twist top bottles(which were all glass) the cans needed a can opener(also called a church key) and the ice chests were metal. Phone numbers were Glendale4260 and if you had a tv it was black and white with no remote and caught 3 channels if you had a big outside antenna. We could grocery shop over the phone and they would deliver the stuff to the house and put the cold stuff in the fridge with noone home cause the door was never locked. Keys in the car and truck also. Never had anything stolen. What a great time to grow up.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Born 1951....a 33hp outboard was the biggest ya could get, weighed a ton. Metal rods, then came fiberglass, reels were strung with thick black braided nylon line. Our home wasn't air-conditioned until the mid sixties; used a big ol ceiling fan plus Hunter oscillating floor fans..still have one that works from when I was born. Was thrown out the house in summer around 7:30am came in 6:00pm for dinner. We always had a well balanced meal...there was no choice in whether we liked it or not. I drank water for the most part..no soft drinks..sometimes koolaide for special occasions. Always made Sunday Mass, before or after fishing/hunting..but we went. Favorite toys was an Erector set, Daisy BB gun and my own tool set. We always addressed grown-ups as Sir or M'am, if monetarily forgotten a knock on the back of the head always ensued as a reminder. We never ever asked for anything when shopping with mom or dad. Relaxing time after supper was on the front porch, sometimes visiting with neighbors. When the TV (B&W) was on Sunday evening we all watched The Ed Sullivan Show. I fell asleep listening to the Little Rock am station that played banned Rock and Roll artists after 12 midnight. Would never trade my youth for anything nor would I want to go back to those years...I had way too much fun to do it any better....
Old 02-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,241

damn, all so true... it helps to read it every once in a while to make you realize how much this world has changed... '79, i barely made the cut!
Old 02-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Redfish

Cash: 830

born in 48 lived in a town with one building that was gas station store and post office had a big pot bellied stove in it for sitting around. you could see smoke from stills in the hills all the creeks had sand bars and clear cold water u could drink. we ate whatever we killed or caught. lots of good times then havent been back in 20 yrs or so probably nothing left there now. thanks for the meomeries
Old 02-24-2012, 09:45 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

'72er here. Those were the days.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -514

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSaint View Post
68 and I should be dead????
Me too! Close to it now though.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Reefman, The station was KAAY Little Rock.
You went out side and played till you heard Mom use 2 names. Then you knew it was time to get home. Any other time i heard 2 names ,i knew i was in trouble.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 654

?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaa.jpg (29.7 KB, 261 views)
Old 02-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

Awesome thread and read!! All these post bring back many memories!! Those were the days!!! 1969....good year!!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 887

Born 1953 here....I remembered if you had a 14' aluminum boat with a 25 on the back you where king of the bayou, I had a 14' with a 9.5 on the back.......great years, great times......glad I'm still alive!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,065

Must not of ever got your hands on the old cherry bombs. Those things was equal to a quarter stick of dynomite. Changed them somewhere around 1970. Firecrackers they sell now are pitiful they barely make any noise. Those old cherry bombs would launch a coffee can into space.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:41 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

Born in 60. I can remember us playing a game with sticks and a old bean can. All but one person would make a small hole in ground. Then the one man out had to hit the can and try to get it in someone's hold. But you could take your stick out the hole and try to hit the can away, but if he was able to put his stick I. Your hole while you were out of it then you were the guy with the can. Fun as hell till someone got whacked in the leg with a stick. Hope you can understand this. Made me laugh just remembering those days. LOL
Old 05-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Flounder

Cash: 744

Just did make the cut. Born in '79.
Ive lived in the country all my life. We stayed outside until it was nearly dark. Went in only to eat then back out again. My papaw drove a dump truck for the police jury and would bring home a load of dirt for us kids. "The Dirt Pile" was the place to be.
Matchbox and Hotwheels, GI Joe and He Man.
Fished with small limbs we cut and any kind of string we could come up with, usually crochet yarn. Dug our own worms. Got in trouble a few times for stealing fish hooks from my uncles or papaw. We would mostly go to the creek with crochet yarn and some ham to try to catch us some crawfish.
Our bikes were our means of transportation, if they broke down we walked, just not as far.
Our summer attire was a pair of shorts. No shirt, no shoes. Unless we were going to town.
Spent most of our days in the woods. There were no posted signs and few private property signs. We didnt go into other peoples yards. Pine cones were grenades and sticks were guns.
I got a hatchet for Christmas one year and no tree was safe. We built forts outta the trees we cut down. Most of the time we didnt even have anything to tie the trees with. Just used friction and luck. We never had any nails.
One year for my birthday I got an ammo can and a frog gig. Toted both, along with my BB gun and hatchet, everytime I went in the woods. Usually the ammo can contained some beef jerky, string, a few rocks and BBs.
My most prized possessions were my BB gun, my hatchet and a hook from a chain tied to a string.
I got my first Daisy BB gun when I was to young to even **** the thing. Had to put the barrel on my foot and push down on the lever.
We did have an Atari, but the adults played it and only had a few games for it.
We never had cable. Only time I would get to watch cable was on the rare vacation we got to go on. I didnt get satellite TV until I was grown and had a place of my own. We had an A/C unit, but never used it. We used an attic fan.
Our boat was a 15 foot aluminum Grumann canoe. The motor was us, using paddles. I was paddling a canoe before I could tie my own shoes.
Discipline was dished out with a fly swatter, leather belt, crepe myrtle limb, or my mamaws favorite, a peach tree switch. Every bit 10 foot long. That dang peach tree disciplined more kids than the Department of Corrections. Dogs too.
Our first go kart was a death trap with a 5 horse lawnmower engine. No throttle, no brakes. Dad would crank the thing and it would go. To stop we would have to reach back and find the kill switch.
I have been shooting guns nearly as long as I could walk. I have over a dozen. None have ever shot anyone. My dad had a loaded pistol under the bed and long guns standing in closets when I was growing up. None of those ever shot anyone either. We didnt play with real guns, we were taught what they were and we knew what they were for. Our toy guns didnt have orange plastic caps on the end of the barrels. We were smart enough to know the difference, even so, we didnt put toy guns to our head and pull the triggers anyway. Wouldnt even point a toy gun at someone unless we were playing and never dreamed of pointing one a cop!
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]
Old 06-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Redfish

Cash: 909

'66 Here

and no allowance...
if we wanted money, we collected soda bottles or mowed grass in the neighborhood.

and what did we do with this money?
we played pinball, bought penny candy from the bottom shelf, and bought our own fireworks...fireworks that we'd hold in or throw with our hands.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,296

49 here. BB guns, blackbird for decoy, raised pigeons, fed the cows, caught catfish in irrigation canals, 12' aluminum with 9.5 merc, real wuppins specially when shot my brother at 3' in back hehe, played outside all day, tents out of old canvas from plants, china balls for homemade sling shots, drums made from frog hide stretched over cans, busted gonads from jumping bikes from hill to hill, playhouse in attic of garage, "mowed" the grass with push mower, BW TV, no AC, open windows with doors wide open and locked screen doors, rode in back of truck to go duck hunting when freezing, dad had a tractor with steel rims and steel lugs, no rubber tires, walked to school, rode bike to trade school in summer taking auto mech class at 14, yep kool aid, oh Dr Pepper plant at my back yard - went there after school and drank a "pop" for 2 cents if I stayed there to drink it, at 16 owned a new 66 GTO that I paid for, gas was 17 cents/gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk