SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
The only calls I've ever owned was the orange Haydels, and a Banded Poly I got for free. Been keeping the Banded one on my lanyard, but keep in mind I usually only get a few chances per season at specks, hence the reason I don't want to spend 150 bones on one.
try 200+ for the redbone... they are sweet calls though I wont deny that
Old 08-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
try 200+ for the redbone... they are sweet calls though I wont deny that
Wow.. Maybe Santa will bring me one.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:07 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,087

Check out the Xciter Calls Bartender speck call as well. Acrylic insert/wood barrel is $75
Old 08-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 10,458

Chein Caille,you'll have the specks eating out the palm of your hand!!!
Old 08-27-2015, 03:59 PM
Flounder

Cash: 863

Get a chein caille learn how to call with it, for a year a 2 they are durable and under 100 dollars. Plus if you can call with a chein caillie you will pretty much be able to call with any of the upgrades. That's my thoughts, granted I am not a champion speck caller or nothen.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Tripletail

RCC poly is ordered. Ready to flare some dam birds now!!! lol
Old 08-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
RCC poly is ordered. Ready to flare some dam birds now!!! lol
If you're anywhere close to Holmwood, get with Bill once you get it. He'll make it right for you and point you in the right direction. No point in being frustrated with a new call when you can go spend a few minutes with the guy who builds em and have him tune it for you just right.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:26 PM
Tripletail

That's awesome. I'd like to do that regardless

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2015, 08:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,063

Yea do what noodle said. Bill or James will tune it for you. Show you some pointers. Also help you if call messes up. They take care of people.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:08 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

I have both the poly & acrylic RCC. Spend the extra $$ & get the acrylic call....well worth an extra 100 $$... big sound difference between the two calls.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Shouldve got with Myers or Daniels. Ive heard they will make it right if you have problems
I don't doubt they will help. I think the rcc acrylic are nice calls. I've blown several polys and personally the tone of a poly just isn't what a chien is. I've been around the speck game a long time. The popular call is the rcc poly. But i'ma for under 100 bones a chien has the better tone. And high end redbone has them all beat hands down no contest.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:37 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
I don't doubt they will help. I think the rcc acrylic are nice calls. I've blown several polys and personally the tone of a poly just isn't what a chien is. I've been around the speck game a long time. The popular call is the rcc poly. But i'ma for under 100 bones a chien has the better tone. And high end redbone has them all beat hands down no contest.
I agree 100%, however the rcc poly is a way easier to blow than the chien caille. So to me, for a beginner, the rcc poly is a better option under $100
Old 08-28-2015, 04:10 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,063

Would you all like to know what the best call is? It's the one the caller can work the best and the one he can say he has the most confidence in.

So how how about take these opinions and go from here and start blowing some calls then decide for your self.

Personally I got into RCC because I know the guys and hunt with some of them and they have shown me a thing or 2 along the way. I also have an old James Myers that i still use. I'm not the best but I can manipulate the call well enough to trick some birdies.

In the end I did it because that's what they taught me with so that's where I am with it. IMO they are the best. But that's all I know really.

Good luck and I hope you smack down some generals this yr. Nothing like working them birds and making them do the "Death Turn" as my cousin likes to say right into the decoys.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:08 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

2 whole days and still nobody has posted the YouTube video of the Riceland crew. Gotta be a record.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:02 AM
Flounder

Cash: 986

Confidence in your call is a major factor. I like a call that allows the caller to grow and the call still support what he or she can execute

From my experience there is a wall I have hit in the past with lower end calls that forces me as a caller to have to run according to what the call can handle

If a caller is having success on whatever brand,great,keep on keeping on

I wanted more,thus my switch from chien caille,faulk,haydel's,primos ---to redbone years ago

John C.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:37 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

everyone blows different. same call may be different in two peoples hands. the one you are comfortable with and sounds the best when you blow it is the winner. Never find a winner on the first try.

PS Olt with modified guts and a blue Haydels (not sure if it hit the market) hang on my lanyard
Old 08-28-2015, 04:06 PM
Flounder

Cash: 986

yeah olt t-20's were awesome

that blue haydel's must be a big bore they did,I saw that years back at the duck festival---that was a good call
Old 08-28-2015, 05:17 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleg one View Post
yeah olt t-20's were awesome

that blue haydel's must be a big bore they did,I saw that years back at the duck festival---that was a good call
yep, came out of a shoe box in the backseat of Rod's truck. Tried 8 or 9 of em till I found the one that suited me best.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:41 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

Chien Caille, my buddy blows one and hunts out of a normal "duck" blind with open water on both sides and kills over 200 specks each year. He blows only ONE note. the cluck. its gets aggravating as crap, but he constantly clucks and they pour in.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Flounder

Cash: 641

You buddy has a blind in a good spot. Its not the call and its definitely not a "normal" blind.

I will swap blinds with him.... Blind swap... I will bring a check if I need that too...

Just my 2 cents. No call or brand of call will work just by hanging the call on the corner of the blind hoping the geese will see it and come in. It takes lots of constructive practice to learn how to properly run the call and make the full range of sounds. In addition it takes a knowledge of the birds and how and when to call to be a good speck hunter.

I started out on a Chien Caille and killed lots of specks with it. The first year that Bill and James formed Riceland I bought one and I am glad I did. I have tried the other premium speck call but I prefer the sound and performance of my Riceland. Through all of this time I have become friends with Bill and some of the Riceland staff. I am a satisfied customer and more importantly the specks really like them. The specks in SW LA are the most pressured specks in the U. S. If a call is effective here there is a reason for the loyalty of the users.

Robbie aka Big Hutch