SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 12-01-2018, 08:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,364
Default smoked goose gumbo

going to do a sausage, smoked goose and oyster gumbo for a party next week end. should i only smoke the goose for 1 1/2 hr or so and let it finish cooking in the soup? i've got wild geese, specs and snows. thinking the specks will be better. whats the general opinion?
Old 12-01-2018, 09:09 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

Are you dry smoking or using a water pan ? If dry I would only go an hour . If smoking using water I'd go 245-255 for about 3 hours . If whole goose after smoking put in pot with enough water to simmer till meat comes off bone with maybe pinch of salt and onion celery. Debone and strain water and use as gumbo stock....
Old 12-01-2018, 10:09 PM
Tripletail

i was planning to dry smoke, then section the birds up and cook in the gumbo till i could pull the meat off the bone. was going to use chicken stock. now you've got me thinking about the stock. i've got two more birds. might try your way this time and mine next time. i really think the only way to screw up a gumbo is to ruin the roux. thanks. anyone else?
Old 12-01-2018, 10:10 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

I would look up John folses smoked wood duck gumbo. Best duck gumbo ever and right on the same track of what your looking to do
Old 12-02-2018, 11:10 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

I would let it go longer than hour and half. I do mine for 3 to 4 hours at 220 degrees. I?ll even do breast fillets like this before going in, the gumbo will make them juicy again. You won?t regret smokes goose gumbo! Anytime I make a chicken sausage gumbo now I add smoked duck/goose. It gives the whole gumbo a great flavor
Old 12-02-2018, 07:05 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
I would let it go longer than hour and half. I do mine for 3 to 4 hours at 220 degrees. I?ll even do breast fillets like this before going in, the gumbo will make them juicy again. You won?t regret smokes goose gumbo! Anytime I make a chicken sausage gumbo now I add smoked duck/goose. It gives the whole gumbo a great flavor
thanks. what do you use for stock? i appreciate all the help. i've been doing gumbo for a long time and my favorite is duck/oyster, but never tried smoking the birds first. been hearing a lot about it lately, so---here goes! picked up a pint of oysters today, they were flavorful, but not really salty enough to me. will go back Friday and get some more. that pint didn't last too long.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:58 AM
Tripletail

well, it got done. smoked 2 specs Friday afternoon, then decided that wasn't enough meat, so i thawed out a snow, cut it up and browned the pieces real good in the big pot, then boiled the pieces for a stock before starting the roux. also browned the sausage in the same pot, added bacon grease, got it hot and added the flour. got the roux done. added veggies then the stock. added meats and cooked for a couple hrs before adding oysters. it was great, maybe the best i've done. thanks everyone for the ideas and help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg too light.jpg (61.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg about right.jpg (62.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg done soup.jpg (48.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg the cook.jpg (59.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 12-09-2018, 02:01 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Oh yea!! You was livin right yesterday