SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258
Default whats the law?

I know that technically its against the law to ride 4 wheelers on public roads. Anyone know if you can get a license for the utility vehicles to be able to ride on public roads, or is that still considered like a 4 wheeler? Ive seen golf carts before riding on the roads with license plates, not sure if that's the same or not.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Redfish

Cash: 926

Put a shovel in the front of the 4 wheeler. Cops can't do u anything. Just say you are checking fields for the farmer. Worked for me the entire time I was growing up.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Has to pass vehicle inspection. Lights, blinkers, horn etc.....and you have to register it.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oops! View Post
Put a shovel in the front of the 4 wheeler. Cops can't do u anything. Just say you are checking fields for the farmer. Worked for me the entire time I was growing up.
This^^^^^

Soory, thought you were wanting a plate
Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

Has to also have a VIN number.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

They sell street legal kits for almost any of em. Google it. But you do have to register and insure it. I think they also have restrictions on which roads you can operate on.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

they sell some 4wheelers in Houston that are pose to be legal on roads and they have some small 2 seater golf/ cars here that are supposed to be legal
Old 07-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Ling

If you do get them licensed and insured and permitted, do you have to have a drivers license to run it on the road then?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-chaser View Post
If you do get them licensed and insured and permitted, do you have to have a drivers license to run it on the road then?
Prolly so. It's then considered motor vehicle. Idk for sure
Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Blue Marlin

The reason for the shovel is you don't have to register a farm implement to drive it on the road. Problem solved
Old 07-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 975

The shovel works. But if there is any kind of accident, the atv / side x side are in the wrong reguardless.. from what I've seen, it's pretty hard to get it legally on the road in La.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

I know of no insurance companies in La that will insure one of these for road use.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Ling

Well, the deal is, I live on a dead end street. At the end of the street is a canal that goes into a local lake. My son has been riding his 4wheeler down the road to the canal for like 4 or 5 years now to go fishing and a lot of times pulls his boat down there and docks it in the canal and gets to the lake to fish and set jugs. Just last week him and a couple of the neighbor boys went frogging and did pretty good. A few of the next door neighbor kids have 4 wheelers also, along with a few other neighbors a lil further down. We all ride down the road from time to time. Well, about 3 months ago, one of the neighbor boys was riding down the road,and another neighbors dog ran out right in front of the 4 wheeler. Needless to say, the dog got run over. Didn't kill it,but got hurt pretty good. Well the Man came out cussing the boy like a sailor for running over his dog. (mind you,we have a leash law in our area) The boys parents went and met the guy and apologized and even paid the vet bills. since then Ive witnessed another one of the guys dogs running loose and get hit by a passing car,(that didn't stop). Ever since then, every time one of the kids rides down the road, the police seem to make a drive by not long after. Yesterday, the police stopped by the house and kindly told us that it is illegal to ride the 4 wheelers on the road,and next time the kids are "caught" they or us will be ticketed. Just sucks for the boys,cuz now they are cut off from the canal.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Looks like a Calm neighborhood meeting is in order if you can get the audience. My youngest is on my bike in our neighborhood all the time and looks like Sanford & son with all his fishing gear. I am waiting for the call from popo to come home and deal with him but most of them are pretty good about letting them be kids. Good luck with the meeting!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

if there is a shoulder or a ditch they can ride they are not on the road
Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

If you have a registered farm vehicle in your name, you can place an orange triangle on the back of the ATV for use as a "slow moving" farm vehicle like a tractor. But you have to have a farm plate on at least one vehicle. No ATV are legal on LA roads - doesn't matter if it is side by side or regular ATV. Also, we have a golf cart in Jennings that has a plate, MVI, and does have insurance on it. I know because we used it during the 4th of July festivities along with several others from our local golf course. This thing had turn signals, horn, reverse lights, and a 17 digit VIN on a plate mounted on the dashboard.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oops! View Post
Same here, wearing hip boots helps
Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

I would have the police have a "nice little chat" with the guy about the leash law and how if he had control of his dogs the incidents would not have happened.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

My dad(farmer) has gotten stopped many times. After quick chats by the officer over his radio, dad is free to go each time! lol
Old 07-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

I know golf cars are legal in Lafayette if they have signals, brake lights and a plate. But only on streets of 35mph or less.