SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 08-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstulb View Post
Funny how that marsh survived for hundreds of years with no weir system. Just don't see how you can argue that point..?

Believe W and I as well as a lot of others that saw what that lake looked like after Rita.
I can't prove it by any scientific numbers but when those levees were busted it was one of the largest influxes of trout I have seen in my life. The winter of 05 was one of the best I have fished besides 99&2001 monster trout and a lot of them. They are still there but the #'s just have not been steady the past few years
It survived for many HUNDREDS of years just fine. It probably survived HUNDREDS of hurricanes as well, BUT when man came along and dug a ship channel it gave a direct route for saltwater to get into a system that was not a saltwater system. Wiers mitigate against this.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:07 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

First of all its not my job. Just plain ignorance on your part. The marshes on the channel are salt Marsh, never said those weren't. If what I said was misinterpreted, my fault. A Marsh is not just fish, only an idiot would believe that.

Read my other threads and quit being a heathen. I've argued this time and time again, have countless documents and research that show that area has changed. Private landowners backed the weirs. It was not all government. That Marsh was dieing.

The fact is, the intelligent cannot educate the uneducated masses. People will believe what they want to believe, it is human nature after all. I could show you everything to prove what I say is fact, I could show it to you out there. And you would still not believe.

And for your information, little man, I work for private industry now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

I wonder how the trout fishing was before the ship channel? Lol
Old 08-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
I wonder how the trout fishing was before the ship channel? Lol
Trout were jumping in the boat brah, you could hang an oil lantern on cypress trees at night and the trout would literally jump in the boat, green trout that is

:inbeforeWsayshisgreatgreatgrandfatherwascatchingt routinBigLakeinthelate1800s
Old 08-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Lol
Old 08-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Yea that marsh was damn near gone the two years it was blow out after getting pounded by Rita and then 100% open to saltwater

Keep digging!!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Hey just come out and say!!! Its all 100% about duck hunting and saving Wegiongrass

Bottomline!! Need Ducks for duck hunting = so can charge $250 per gun= close the weirs =save Weigongrass for duck food= more money
Attached Images
File Type: png 2013-08-18 17.39.43.png (196.3 KB, 243 views)
Old 08-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Hey just come out and say!!! Its all 100% about duck hunting and saving Wegiongrass

Bottomline!! Need Ducks for duck hunting = so can charge $250 per gun= close the weirs =save Weigongrass for duck food= more money

You can spell this word 2 ways 'widgeon' or 'wigeon' and they are both correct, but 'weigon' aint gonna cut it, and you can't blame spell check for that powerpoint slide either

and I already told you that wigeongrass aka weigongrass can handle salinity, its scientific name is Ruppia martima. Not going to tell you what maritme means, gonna have to google that one
Old 08-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Ling

Quote:
Yea that marsh was damn near gone the two years it was blow out after getting pounded by Rita and then 100% open to saltwater

Keep digging!!
I can't decipher what that means. What marsh was/is gone? West side? East side?

Both marshes took a hard pounding from Rita but wind doesn't do it, its the saltwater that remains on site that will kill the plants. Go take a bucket of seawater and throw it on your lawn, see for yourself, cheapest herbicide you can find.
In ancient civilizations when a tribe or peoples were conquered, the victors would salt their fields, so that they couldn't grow crops AT ALL forever brah
Old 08-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

I before e except after c
Old 08-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Wigdegon wedgion weedgion

Its all grass and from the looks of it most on this site will roll it up and smoke it
Old 08-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:

Its all grass and from the looks of it most on this site will roll it up and smoke it
Grass? Make it illegal.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Ling

Quote:

Technically its not a grass, but anyways
Old 08-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Redfish

Cash: -239

Quote:

You are definitely some kinda special. i can put money on it you were never picked first in a game of dodge ball.:what:
Old 08-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfish View Post
You are definitely some kinda special. i can put money on it you were never picked first in a game of dodge ball.:what:
My duck... I knew i could get you out of Texas Hiding!! LMAO what a duck

I see you still have a pick of another mans trout as your avatar!!!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Redfish

Cash: -239

Quote:
My duck... I knew i could get you out of Texas Hiding!! LMAO what a duck

I see you still have a pick of another mans trout as your avatar!!!
Yep. They were all caught off live waterdaogs in live widgeon grass behind closed weirs.

Thanks Ana-White!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfish View Post
Yep. They were all caught off live waterdaogs in live widgeon grass behind closed weirs.

Thanks Ana-White!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:07 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
No person but a few like Duck BUTTer and Biggie Smalls want to blow smoke because there job is to blow smoke

You cut those weirs out and 100 more years of nothing changing but better fishing and healthier estuary

Thats a Fact Jack!!! As Stulb Said 2005-2006 best the lake has been in years

"Save the Weigongrass"
If you cut the weirs, the lake will be on the fast track to a quality of fishing closer to Galveston Bay. The marsh that feeds the lake will disappear. This is not just the position of a couple of self-interested ecofreaks: this is broad consensus among all the scientists who have considered the question. Only anglers who are short sighted in their outlook take your position.

Open water with little vegetation is simply not the high quality habitat for bait. Less bait -> less fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
You take out the wiers and you will kill that marsh, the shrimping will be great because the shrimp will have plenty of decaying vegetation to eat, the trout will have plenty of shrimp to eat for many many years, the duck hunting will go to crap because there is no food, it will be open water and mud, and you will never get it back.

The west side marsh IS NOT doing just fine by the way, look at it in different years on aerial photos. A wier (wiers) would help that area as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if some aren't in talks right now.

and as far as the 75 years comment, nothing happens overnight, that is a blink of an eye in geologic terms, and you can see the erosion caused by the ship channel simply by going to Google Earth. Its eroding land away every single day, and its not a government conspiracy or CCA or DU or Delta Waterfowl or in the interest of anyone or anything but SAVING marshland that benefits every single one of us

75 years ago we wouldn't be having this conversation, because you would have been bass fishing in Calcasieu Lake
This is right. W, you know I'm not slow to disagree with environmental types when their science is lacking, but it is not lacking here. Sometimes their argument is oversimplified, blaming the ship channel, when other man made canals also contribute and hurricanes also play a big role. But the bottom line is that the weirs are needed, and their operation is sound.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
If you cut the weirs, the lake will be on the fast track to a quality of fishing closer to Galveston Bay. The marsh that feeds the lake will disappear. This is not just the position of a couple of self-interested ecofreaks: this is broad consensus among all the scientists who have considered the question. Only anglers who are short sighted in their outlook take your position.

Open water with little vegetation is simply not the high quality habitat for bait. Less bait -> less fish.

This is right. W, you know I'm not slow to disagree with environmental types when their science is lacking, but it is not lacking here. Sometimes their argument is oversimplified, blaming the ship channel, when other man made canals also contribute and hurricanes also play a big role. But the bottom line is that the weirs are needed, and their operation is sound.

Well said!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Ling

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (36.1 KB, 156 views)