SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834
Default Hunting a brackish water marsh

Just got on a section of Miami property and was wondering how many of you hunt with dogs in a marsh with alligators. We have seen a few this summer but hit an 8 footer in the canal 40 yards from the pond. It was a monster. I know I will not hunt my dog during teal season but will all the gators be hibernating by big duck?
Old 08-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,642

We hunt marsh with alligators and we don't have many problems with gators during big duck. By time big duck rolls around its cold enough that the gators won't be very active and they won't be out. Just don't hunt with your dog during teal season.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Find out who has the tags for your marsh. Explain that you need the gators out your runs and ponds. If you're lucky he may even invite you when he runs his lines! Most alligator hunters love to rid your hunting ponds of gators.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefman View Post
Find out who has the tags for your marsh. Explain that you need the gators out your runs and ponds. If you're lucky he may even invite you when he runs his lines! Most alligator hunters love to rid your hunting ponds of gators.
How can you find out who has tags for your area? We have a nest in one of our ponds. We just let that pond sit last season.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Redfish

Cash: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucoo View Post
We hunt marsh with alligators and we don't have many problems with gators during big duck. By time big duck rolls around its cold enough that the gators won't be very active and they won't be out. Just don't hunt with your dog during teal season.
What about when you have a mild weathered hunting season? I've had to shoot alligators in December and January to keep them from getting the dog. It's always a chance you take whether it be teal or big duck season.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
How can you find out who has tags for your area? We have a nest in one of our ponds. We just let that pond sit last season.
The landowner can tell you who has the tags ( ie Vermillion corp, Miami corp etc).
Old 08-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucoo View Post
Wyatt Thats You
Old 08-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax7511 View Post
Wyatt Thats You
Yup
Old 08-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Redfish

Cash: 705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulox86 View Post
Just got on a section of Miami property and was wondering how many of you hunt with dogs in a marsh with alligators. We have seen a few this summer but hit an 8 footer in the canal 40 yards from the pond. It was a monster. I know I will not hunt my dog during teal season but will all the gators be hibernating by big duck?
I hunt a brackish marsh and have never had a problem with gators during big duck season. Now if we have a couple of days in a row when the temps. get into the 60's at night I get cautious. No long retrieves and if we have to go into the grass I am right there with her. Now days I am more concerned about hogs on a grass retrieve than a gator.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Trophy Trout

My thoughts exactly. I've got more $$$ in my labs than a duck is worth to send one in the grass. I may just let them do close retrieves and hunt them in Holly Beach a bit more.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:23 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

I would give up the lease immediately! Let me know. I can help get you out from under it and recoup your money.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
I would give up the lease immediately! Let me know. I can help get you out from under it and recoup your money.

I may be able to help you out next year. I am thinking of subletting out some blinds. It's a lot of work getting all three blinds ready for hunting.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Quote:

Where you hunting? We have some big gators out during teal season. Haven't seen any during big duck season in 4 yrs.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:04 AM
Redfish

Cash: 899

Quote:
I may be able to help you out next year. I am thinking of subletting out some blinds. It's a lot of work getting all three blinds ready for hunting.
Let me know if you do too