SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:56 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864
Default Looking for spot(s) on Texas deer lease

I am looking for 1-4 spots on a Texas deer lease. We lost our lease and haven't been able to find anything decent. TIA
Old 09-16-2014, 05:08 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,382

Leasehunter.com has some every now and then. There is lots open around our place in Sonora. It's a long drive but plenty of deer and some good size as well. I'm hoping to find one a little closer to home with more exotics. Any area you are looking at?
Old 09-16-2014, 09:29 AM
King Mackeral

Subscribed to lease hunter but did not find anything to fit our needs. Either too much money ($100,000) or they had no guests allowed or restrictions for this and that.

Would like to be around Brady, San Saba, Llano, Lampasas.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:14 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

With the current situation of the Haynesville Shale play in the sweet spot of Texas deer country, I am so glad of my decision to go to MS. We made the decision based on several factors a few years ago, but the main reason was wanting to hunt as a family. It would be nearly impossible to do it unless I found a 100 acre tract that I could afford by myself. Most over priced commodity I have ever seen! TX Ranch hunting, 2500 acres, feeders and stands included, blah blah blah.........cost $5000, take 2 does, 1 cull, and 1 trophy and all the hogs you want........blah blah blah. Ads on lease hunter go on for days!
Old 09-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Redfish

Cash: -239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
With the current situation of the Haynesville Shale play in the sweet spot of Texas deer country, I am so glad of my decision to go to MS. We made the decision based on several factors a few years ago, but the main reason was wanting to hunt as a family. It would be nearly impossible to do it unless I found a 100 acre tract that I could afford by myself. Most over priced commodity I have ever seen! TX Ranch hunting, 2500 acres, feeders and stands included, blah blah blah.........cost $5000, take 2 does, 1 cull, and 1 trophy and all the hogs you want........blah blah blah. Ads on lease hunter go on for days!
If your just interested in meat hauls there's always other alternatives that are allot cheaper than 5g.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:22 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

I understand that, and I'm not out for a meat haul. Just saying that ranchers/property owners use to supplement income with hunters. Now, with the Eagleford Shale play, not so much. I would rather drive 2.5 hours to my place in MS every weekend, then drive 8 hours twice or three times a year for Texas. To each his own, but we have our little slice of heaven. Tons of deer, lots of turkey and we are lucky enough to own a house there. Our lease is $1200/yr and club pays for food plots. Sure we put in our work, and we enjoy it. Only thing I don't like is paying for an out of state license when I own a home there. But I will get over that!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:37 PM
King Mackeral

I have never hunted Mississippi. I have tons of relatives around Hattisburg. Many of them hunt around there. Guess I should look there too. The hunting part is only 30% why I get on a lease. The other 70% is the comraderie of sitting by a campfire, cooking and just riding the ranch drinking beer and cutting up!