SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Flounder

Cash: 773
Default Need Help - Elk Hunting Public Land

I went elk hunting a few years ago and was fortunate enough to bag a bull. This was a guided hunt on private land i had the privilege of tagging along on.

Now I want to go back and hunt public land. Thinking about next year (got a small group that would be willing to give it a try).
My goal would be to shoot a cow elk. Not really interested in a trophy. more interested in the hunting, and the highest percentage of bagging game, and the meat.

I know quite abit of folks from around here head up, and hunt on public lands in the colorado area.

Im looking for those people to share their experience. Am I wasting my time hunting public land? If so, what do you suggest?
Im not afraid to get out and walk and walk and walk. I have managed to bag deer on WMA's by basically outwalking the crowds and finding deer. So I feel this can correlate to elk hunting as well.

Are there specific blm's or national forests that i should key in on? I have looked at routt national forest (only reason is because it's around Craig- where i bagged my previous elk).

Tags- are there areas that you can get Over the counter tags? or am i better off going with the lottery tags?
Camping - do you just camp in the national forest or blm? If so, any pointers on do's and dont's?

This can get wordy real quick. hopefully someone can share their experience with me to shed some light on my game plan.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

If you go to the Colorado WLF web site it will tell you what areas are over the counter and which are not. They also list the success rates for each area. You will find that the areas with higher success rates will be the areas that do not have over the counter tags. I apply for tags every year in Colorado and if I can’t make a trip that year I deny the tags. The more you apply for an area the more preference points you build and the better chance you have to draw tags in the area you want.
You may also want to look as some of the drop camps that the outfitters have. We went on our own one year and the drop camp two years later. I found the drop camp to be much better. You will stay at a camp with wall tents and all propane and stoves for cooking is supplied. wood is chopped, and they have water for your use and they pack you in and out. They will also come check on you several times that week to take any meat you harvest back and keep it cold for you. The drop camp we did was almost a full day horseback ride for where we left and we never saw another hunting group while we were there. The guides also marked suggested areas to hunt on the maps and told us where they had been seeing elk. The first year we went 6 of us killed 1 cow and the second year we went 6 of us killed 2 bulls and 2 cows. I think the drop camp is a lot better for someone who does not live in the area and does not have much time to scout.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:38 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by latravcha View Post
If you go to the Colorado WLF web site it will tell you what areas are over the counter and which are not. They also list the success rates for each area. You will find that the areas with higher success rates will be the areas that do not have over the counter tags. I apply for tags every year in Colorado and if I can’t make a trip that year I deny the tags. The more you apply for an area the more preference points you build and the better chance you have to draw tags in the area you want.
You may also want to look as some of the drop camps that the outfitters have. We went on our own one year and the drop camp two years later. I found the drop camp to be much better. You will stay at a camp with wall tents and all propane and stoves for cooking is supplied. wood is chopped, and they have water for your use and they pack you in and out. They will also come check on you several times that week to take any meat you harvest back and keep it cold for you. The drop camp we did was almost a full day horseback ride for where we left and we never saw another hunting group while we were there. The guides also marked suggested areas to hunt on the maps and told us where they had been seeing elk. The first year we went 6 of us killed 1 cow and the second year we went 6 of us killed 2 bulls and 2 cows. I think the drop camp is a lot better for someone who does not live in the area and does not have much time to scout.

not to mention is sounds like a blast! I'd like to do that just for the sight seeing
Old 09-16-2014, 03:51 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Default l

i have been looking into it also, from what i could tell as of right now the tags have been drawn and over the counter tags are available, like latravcha said for the certain areas, i am not sure when they open up the drawings again for next year, i know someone living on the south end of colorado so i have a place to stay, just not sure where to hunt, but i am pumped can't wait to have the chance
Old 09-16-2014, 04:23 PM
Red Snapper

Applications are due in April of the year you want to hunt. In draw only areas any extra tags are over the counter on a first come first serve basis. Co archery hunts begin in August. Rifle hunts begin the first week of September and run through the first couple weeks of November depending on the area. IMO if you have never been you are several months late in the planning stages to make a hunt this year. Our first hunt took 6 months to plan and get in shape. You will also have equipment to buy. I spent over 1,000 just buying spotting scopes binoculars, shooting sticks, packs. This is not like hunting down the bayou. Do your research on the ranch you choose. Most ranches post pictures with the names of people who killed that year. Facebook is your friend. Try and contact that person and ask questions about the hunt. Some ranches will also provide you with references. Use these references.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:26 PM
Flounder

Planning for next year. I've been elk hunting before, so I've got the gear already. In pretty good shape. Ran 5 miles this morning.
Thanks for the info on the drop camps. Is this what you are referring to as ranches in thew above post? The outfitters? Or is that the section of public land?...I looked into the drop camp and it seems to be the way to go to get you out in the middle of nowhere on public land.

I'll keep digging and doing my homework.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:39 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by latravcha View Post

What would something like this cost per man?
Old 09-16-2014, 10:35 PM
Flounder

It all depends on how comfortable you want to be.
Trips can range from 10k(private land guided monster elk) to 1k(public land camping in a tent roughing it). I'm looking too do it in the 2-3k. Basically roughing it in a tent, public land, etc....however I realize I am making a big investment on the trip, and if I can increase my odds greatly of bagging an elk I would entertain spending more money to do so. It's that whole cost to benefit ratio....looking into drop camps(seems like a great idea to me), the camp would cost you 1500. That would include them bringing you out and the tent lodging out there. Other costs would be tag 400-700, but could be more depending on what animals you'll be hunting. Game processing and meat handling, food, travel, equipment. You can get to 3k QUICK.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:37 PM
Flounder

Just allot of information to sort through and digest.
Latravcha - thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

It's beautiful up there. Ranges can get long in a lot of areas, and it's harder to get close in public areas. A rangefinder and an accurate long range load are key. Drops and retained energy are a lot different at 10,000 feet, but if you know your muzzle velocity and BC, most ballistic calculators will get the drop right if you enter the conditions.

Get out to Donaldsonville and get some practice in the F Class type matches at 600 yards. Then make sure you can quickly get into a field position and get the same kind of accuracy.

If you can't get the long range shooting thing down, then make sure you hunt a zone and plan your hunt around getting close in the timber (your best chance at a close shot on public land).
Old 09-17-2014, 08:27 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm9437 View Post
It all depends on how comfortable you want to be.
Trips can range from 10k(private land guided monster elk) to 1k(public land camping in a tent roughing it). I'm looking too do it in the 2-3k. Basically roughing it in a tent, public land, etc....however I realize I am making a big investment on the trip, and if I can increase my odds greatly of bagging an elk I would entertain spending more money to do so. It's that whole cost to benefit ratio....looking into drop camps(seems like a great idea to me), the camp would cost you 1500. That would include them bringing you out and the tent lodging out there. Other costs would be tag 400-700, but could be more depending on what animals you'll be hunting. Game processing and meat handling, food, travel, equipment. You can get to 3k QUICK.
I was mainly referring to drop camp. Seems like a better way to go since I am definitely a rookie at this. I'd like to make this trip Fall 2016. My wife is in graduate school so my hunting and fishing has been very limited but once she gets out, Katy bar the door!

Perhaps a few on here would like to et this together?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:03 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm9437 View Post
Planning for next year. I've been elk hunting before, so I've got the gear already. In pretty good shape. Ran 5 miles this morning.
Thanks for the info on the drop camps. Is this what you are referring to as ranches in thew above post? The outfitters? Or is that the section of public land?...I looked into the drop camp and it seems to be the way to go to get you out in the middle of nowhere on public land.

I'll keep digging and doing my homework.
The link I sent you was for the outfitter we used for the drop camp. They had private land available but we chose public land when we got there because that is where the elk were being seen. They will move the drop camps during the season depending on where the elk are. I think they also have a few cabins they use as drop hunts later in the season as the elk come down form the mountains.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Red Snapper

Your typical drop camp runs about $1500 per person. Your tags run about $650. Processing the elk runs about $150-$175. I spent over a thousand on gear before I left the house. Shoulder mount elk $1,000. Last time we went we split the cost of the drop camp, food, fuel to get there and back, hotel on the way there and back, game processing evenly between 6 people and it was right at $2,000 a person. This did not include your license and tags alcohol or having a bull mounted if you killed one.