SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Old 12-14-2009, 10:42 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189
Default Triple tail

ok the triple tail discussion was a good topic and we were being very civilized...so y does a mod get on there say wat he thinks then close the thread....man i have no problem with the mod...really dont but i think thats a bad move...

about the discussion on snapper...we are not over fishing them and whoever thinks that is crazzzzzzyyyyyyy there are more snapper than 10 years ago maybe not the size but deff more...and if the bay boat thing is a problem then y did i catch a 30 lb fish at the first rig out of venice at the mouth of the miss. river.....i can say this cause i am in venice 30+ days every summer...and i talk to wildlife all the time in the Fishing capitol of the world...Venice, La....

hope this thread doesnt get pulled i just had to get my point across...
Old 12-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Banned

i didn't close the thread coach, neither did i say we were overfishing them, I disagree with W's comment that humans don't have an impact on red snapper.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:49 PM
King Mackeral

well it just got re opened then cause it was closed for the past 5 minutes....thats y i didnt post in it...if im wrong than i am and sorry for the accusation....

but im pretty sure it was closed
Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Banned

well if it was closed i didn't close it
Old 12-14-2009, 10:56 PM
King Mackeral

ok well sorry angler...for accusing you anyways..
Old 12-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

"and if the bay boat thing is a problem then y did i catch a 30 lb fish at the first rig out of venice at the mouth of the miss. river.....i can say this cause i am in venice 30+ days every summer...and i talk to wildlife all the time in the Fishing capitol of the world...Venice, La...."

Snapper fishing is a whole nother animal. First 10 miles out of Venice********>10 miles out of Cameron. I've caught dolphin and blue marlin on a rip 8 miles out of SW Pass. If I went 8 miles out of Cameron, I'd catch some bull reds and thats about it.

yes Venice is the fishing capital of LA because of its outstanding inshore & offshore fishing.

But I agree with Angler that humans have caused a toll on snapper, but I think its been mostly the commercials who have hurt the fishing for the recreationals. Thats my 2 cents.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,547

No one closed the thread...LA was just trying to keep the topic straight...coastal erosion was being thrown in...let us continue the discussion
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 12-16-2009, 01:34 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
"and if the bay boat thing is a problem then y did i catch a 30 lb fish at the first rig out of venice at the mouth of the miss. river.....i can say this cause i am in venice 30+ days every summer...and i talk to wildlife all the time in the Fishing capitol of the world...Venice, La...."

Snapper fishing is a whole nother animal. First 10 miles out of Venice********>10 miles out of Cameron. I've caught dolphin and blue marlin on a rip 8 miles out of SW Pass. If I went 8 miles out of Cameron, I'd catch some bull reds and thats about it.

yes Venice is the fishing capital of LA because of its outstanding inshore & offshore fishing.

But I agree with Angler that humans have caused a toll on snapper, but I think its been mostly the commercials who have hurt the fishing for the recreationals. Thats my 2 cents.

i never said humans didnt take a toll.....cause you're right they did back in the old days before i was around and couldnt do anything about it....but not anymore....snapper will never be overfished by rec fisherman again because of the massive increase in snapper over the past 10 years....with the limits we have it is impossible.....now commercial boats arent a problem now but can be 20 years from now if there catch quotas go up too much higher.....

Blue Marlin 8 miles from sw pass huh??? ive heard stories of guys catching them 10 miles out at rips but have never gotten that lucky.....ive caught dolphin and tuna at 10-15 but never a bill fish...only billfish ive caught has been sails and swords about 150 miles out during summer...
Old 12-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

The Snapper season out of Cameron doesn't favor the rec. fishermen either.
The commercial season hits, then after the close in spots are wiped out,
the rec. season opens up.
Rec. fishermen have to go farther out to catch good sized snapper.
Out of Cameron, 30 miles is close in.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

"Blue Marlin 8 miles from sw pass huh??? ive heard stories of guys catching them 10 miles out at rips but have never gotten that lucky.....ive caught dolphin and tuna at 10-15 but never a bill fish...only billfish ive caught has been sails and swords about 150 miles out during summer... "

It was an amazing trip that day....one blue swam right by the boat and we watched him eat a chicken dolphin. We could have gaffed him he was so close. That rip was loaded with dolphin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chas' Bull Dolphin.jpg (36.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 12-16-2009, 02:35 PM
King Mackeral

nice bull....yea them are the kinda things that happen once in a lifetime if your lucky man...im jealous...ima get me a blue this spring though..i told my captain im not working all summer till i catch one...