SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:04 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
I agree with you regarding the AR-15 but a knife and a Remington 700 were his weapons of choice. "Charles Joseph Whitman (June 24, 1941 ? August 1, 1966) was an American mass murderer who became infamous as the "Texas Tower Sniper." On August 1, 1966, he used knives in the slaying of his mother and wife in their respective homes. He then went to the University of Texas in Austin, where the rampage began. He shot and killed three people inside the university tower. He then went to the tower's 28th-floor observation deck, where he fired at random for some 96 minutes, killing an additional eleven people and wounding thirty-one others before he was shot and killed by two Austin police officers. A total of sixteen people were killed; a 17th victim died 35 years later from injuries sustained in the attack"
Good example and point. At least with a 700 bolt action people can leave and have time to run. As I understand most of the people injured in that shooting were people that came back to see what was going on after hearing gun shots. In today's world where these shootings are more common I would hope folks would run.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:29 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,090

I don't see this as a gun issue . . People blaming guns instead of addressing the issues of morals, mental health, parenting . . It's the person that pulls the trigger . .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2018, 08:53 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by PReaux View Post
I don't see this as a gun issue . . People blaming guns instead of addressing the issues of morals, mental health, parenting . . It's the person that pulls the trigger . .

True...like the sherrif said I went to a high school where we brought shotguns in our trucks every day so we could squirrel hunt that afternoon. Never once did one of us even think of using it on the students. In 8th grade our pe teacher taught us hunters safety where we all earned our orange card including shooting skeet in the back of the playground. Different times back then.

But since we can't control how some people are raising there children should we make it difficult for these people to get an assault weapon?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:02 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
True...like the sherrif said I went to a high school where we brought shotguns in our trucks every day so we could squirrel hunt that afternoon. Never once did one of us even think of using it on the students. In 8th grade our pe teacher taught us hunters safety where we all earned our orange card including shooting skeet in the back of the playground. Different times back then.

But since we can't control how some people are raising there children should we make it difficult for these people to get an assault weapon?
Sure . . This kid in Fla should have never been able to get a gun . . He threw up a lot of red flags that were ignored . . I think gun safety has joined God on the list of "not politically correct" and not allowed in schools . . Sad state of affairs . .

Old 02-19-2018, 09:10 AM
King Mackeral

RESPECT . . the one word that is no longer included in the vocabularies of people . .

Old 02-19-2018, 09:26 AM
King Mackeral

My principal wanted me to teach archery in my pe class . . The vision of an arrow sticking out of my back eliminated that idea . . I know, right . . Go spend some time in a classroom and observe first hand the changes from when you were a student . . School psychologists suggest that the concept of right/wrong are in place by age 13 . . You can identify and place these kids in one or the other in about 2 min . . ie: FL shooter . .

Old 02-19-2018, 09:28 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

I'm very pro gun as well but something has to change. It is entirely too easy to walk into a sporting goods store and buy an AR-15 and 1000 rounds of ammo. I can walk into academy and in ten minutes come out with an AR-15, 1000 rounds of ammo and a a pallet of Tannerite. That's pretty cool and all but it's kinda messed up if you take your blinders off

It's a combination o s bunch of things that are culminating, but I don't think anyone will argue that it's hard to buy a gun

Second amendment blah blah blah. The second amendment already has sown restrictions. We have the right to bear arms, but that right does not allow us to buy an fully automatic assault rifle, or a grenade launcher, or claymore mine. There are restrictions already in place.

Flame away
Old 02-19-2018, 09:34 AM
King Mackeral

Just give every kid a "participation" ribbon . .

Old 02-19-2018, 09:35 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Also the bullying issue is another thing. There have always been bullies, but it's different nowadays with social media. There is some savage crap out there directed to these young kids My wife is a school teacher and if she sees a kid not playing she makes sure someone goes and plays with that kid. You just never know what some kid is going through. They may get bullied at school and then go home to abusive parents

And it's not a left thing or a right thing It's everyone's thing. Those kids aren't left or right.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:46 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Also the bullying issue is another thing. There have always been bullies, but it's different nowadays with social media. There is some savage crap out there directed to these young kids My wife is a school teacher and if she sees a kid not playing she makes sure someone goes and plays with that kid. You just never know what some kid is going through. They may get bullied at school and then go home to abusive parents

And it's not a left thing or a right thing It's everyone's thing. Those kids aren't left or right.
Tru dat . . Thank your wife for her service . .

Old 02-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Quote:
I am certainly a pro gun guy and a hunter. My wife and I both have a concealed carry license and we vote republican.

However where I differ from most is on assault rifles. I just don't see where there is a need for semi auto weapons like an ar-15 that holds 30 rounds. Full disclosure I own one. I realize I am probably in the minority on this but you don't see mass shootings with a browning a5 or Remington 700 bolt action they just aren't the weapon of choice or made to fire off significant rounds in a mass shooting situation.

Just offering a different opinion on this. As it relates to gun control I firmly support the right to carry. I just don't see a real need for an assault weapon. I feel I could defend my home very well wiht an 870 express pump shotgun.

You have guts coming out with these statements on this forum! I must admit I'm with you 100% on this. I am an avid hunter, own several shotguns, I am deputized to carry although I seldom do. I do not have an assault weapon and I'm not a member of NRA for this very reason. After the dust settles NRA will suffer big time with their blinding support of these assault weapons. With elections coming up those politicians who are bought by the NRA will have a hard time getting re-elected. Just my opinion.
No one needs an assault weapon. These belong to the military only. Get them off the streets, out of gun shows and Hollywood. The very name in itself should give a strong definition to what their purpose is used for! Lets start off by getting rid of them again.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:57 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 591

Noone needs...... Fake tities...a 100mph car.....a 80mph boat........ A. 300mag...... But they are made.... Someone could do as much. Damage with a 12ga plug out, full of 3 1/2 buckshot,,,. Now wanna give up that too?? It's Not the Guns!! An by the way N.R.A. IS THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT
Old 02-19-2018, 06:13 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

The 2nd amendment is not about self-defense or hunting. It's about when it's time to throw the tea into the harbor again.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
We have the right to bear arms, but that right does not allow us to buy an fully automatic assault rifle
Yes it does

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2018, 08:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

"Our constitutional republic is only suited for a just and moral people"- John Adams

"We are a formerly Christian nation in the advanced stages of decomposition"- Pat Buchanan

A large portion of our citizens no longer fit the quote by Adams but more closely resemble the Buchanan quote..... The hippie movement in the 60's killed this country its just taken a few decades for the corpse to rot and begin stinking.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:25 PM
King Mackeral

Those who melt down their guns to make plows will plow for those that have guns . . Thomas Jefferson . .

Old 02-19-2018, 09:39 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
The 2nd amendment is not about self-defense or hunting. It's about when it's time to throw the tea into the harbor again.
No doubt!! Its so we can protect ourselves from the government.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:45 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Parents can't teach their kids to value life?

Look, I'm Catholic. Go to church every Sunday, and say morning prayers just about every day. I was a lector and eucharistic minister for 6 years at my church while in College. I'm in the Knights of Columbus now. Religion is important to me and my family.

But valuing life is not a uniquely religious concept.

I went to public school, catholic school, and was home schooled at different times in my life. With the exception of homeschooling, I was picked at and bullied anywhere I went. I had no religious formation whatsoever from 7th grade to 11th grade.

Did I shoot any of my bullies? No. Why? Because my parents raised me better. Hell, I even had anger issues. Still never shot anyone.

It starts at home. And by being vigilant and knowing what is going on with your kids. Same for educators. People need to be aware of what is going on. Recognize bullying. Recognize problems.

Does religion help? Sure. But it's not a necessity to valuing human life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Not to start a dissagreement but parents(especially hunters) do teach the value of life. When your kid kills a deer do you not explain to that young hunter that his lofe meant something and we should be grateful for hi life and rhe meat we now have. Yes they killed but it was for a reason. It teaches them that killing is the end. Not just a video game death and so it over. It is a final. Again not tryi g to argue. Just my view. I do believe that religion and family structure have the most to do with it. I'm not a highky religous person. Holy water would probabky burn me. I still have a lot of rwspect for the bible and the church. You have a book that basically says don't be an *******. How do you not.loke that?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:04 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Not to start a dissagreement but parents(especially hunters) do teach the value of life. When your kid kills a deer do you not explain to that young hunter that his lofe meant something and we should be grateful for hi life and rhe meat we now have. Yes they killed but it was for a reason. It teaches them that killing is the end. Not just a video game death and so it over. It is a final. Again not tryi g to argue. Just my view. I do believe that religion and family structure have the most to do with it. I'm not a highky religous person. Holy water would probabky burn me. I still have a lot of rwspect for the bible and the church. You have a book that basically says don't be an *******. How do you not.loke that?
Very good . . I couldn't have said it better myself . . Thanks for that . .

Old 02-19-2018, 10:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Quote:
I am certainly a pro gun guy and a hunter. My wife and I both have a concealed carry license and we vote republican.

However where I differ from most is on assault rifles. I just don't see where there is a need for semi auto weapons like an ar-15 that holds 30 rounds. Full disclosure I own one. I realize I am probably in the minority on this but you don't see mass shootings with a browning a5 or Remington 700 bolt action they just aren't the weapon of choice or made to fire off significant rounds in a mass shooting situation.

Just offering a different opinion on this. As it relates to gun control I firmly support the right to carry. I just don't see a real need for an assault weapon. I feel I could defend my home very well wiht an 870 express pump shotgun.
So let me get this straight, you don?t think it?s necessary for people to own an ar-15 yet you own one yourself?? If that?s really the way you feel then I?ll gladly come and take it off your hands for you. And I guarantee you in a school shooting situation like the one that just happened in Florida, someone could have killed just as many people with a browning a5 or Remington 700 bolt action. Why? Because it is a gun free zone and the shooter has no opposition. Kids were left helpless and stuck in class rooms like sitting ducks. Sure, he may have had to reload way more often but unless a few kids would have rushed him while he was reloading they were done! And I also guarantee you those poor kids were so damn scared that the last thing on their mind was to fight back. You can make all the new laws you want and ban the ar-15 also, the sad fact is that evil has been around since man was created and evil will be here until the end of time. Full disclosure, I don?t own an ar-15 but I would never want to take away someone else?s right to own one.