SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Gardening & Farming Forum

Gardening & Farming Forum Use this forum to discuss Gardening and Farming.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default what causes hard sections in satsumas

I tried one of my satsumas and half of it was hard inside and the other half was sort of half way between hard and normal flesh with only 3 or 4 segments I would call "normal"

those "normal" segments tasted fine but weren't sweet and had little to no flavor at all, but then its still early yet.

my question is, is there something that causes this, like lack of nutrients, or not enough water or something, or is it just something that randomly happens sometimes for no reason at all?

I only have around 12 satsumas on this tree because about a dozen got knocked off already cutting grass or by kids, most that are left are still green so I didn't try any more to see what they were like and will just wait another month or so for them to turn.

also these are at a property I don't spend much time at, so the only watering they get is from when it rains
Old 10-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,062

How old is your tree? I have read that sometimes this is a function of a young tree and can work itself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2016, 03:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124

It is still way early for them weather wise they need a few weeks of cool fore they fully ripe Wait a few weeks till our rainy fall weather and try again They will be very late this year
Old 10-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonf View Post
How old is your tree? I have read that sometimes this is a function of a young tree and can work itself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
its about 5-6 years I guess but its been hampered by a light freeze or two that has stunt its growth.

its about 5ft tall and about 3ft around, usually makes about 50 or so satsumas but the kids and one gal in particular (a trashy ho) steal them all before they get ripe or I ever get a chance to get to them lol.

this is the first year its still got some on it in October because that gal isn't living around there anymore
Old 10-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Red Snapper

This is a very late year fall aint here yet. It's still way too hot and my satsumas aint all that bright orange vine ripe color so I am leaving them be. Heck I aint even planted fall garden yet too hot for tender plants> I seen this before its just a very long summer.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:33 PM
Red Snapper

ok so its nothing im doing wrong or not doing then, its likely just because its still a young tree and maybe had a little leftover issues due to last years frost damage?
Old 10-09-2016, 08:52 AM
Red Snapper

Tell us again how they are for thanks giving. I still say they are imature and need to ripen more. It's a very late year this year
Old 10-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Tell us again how they are for thanks giving. I still say they are imature and need to ripen more. It's a very late year this year

well I sure hope that I can cap, trouble is the kids in the neighborhood usually clean em out every year soon as they start to get orange coloring and long before its the right time to pick em.

at least that trashy ho lady don't live around there any more, she liked to eat em green and sour like they were lemons or something and she used to eat em all before they even started to change color. I caught her one day and had to tell her to at least leave half of "my" satsumas so I could eat some of them.

this is the first year I got a chance to see a few with orange color so I tried one "while I had the chance"

I only get down there about every 2-3 weeks to cut grass and check the mail so next trip will be at end of this month then the next trip should be right around thanksgiving. there is only about a dozen left on the tree at this point, if that, but I hope to eat a ripe one off my own tree at some point if I can lol