SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 08-16-2009, 11:11 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 843
Bounce Yamaha 4 Strokes Vs. HPDI

Just want to find out what you guys think about pros and cons of each type of motor. Mainly on reliablilty and fuel efficiency. I am getting a boat built and before I purchase the motor I want make sure I don't have any regrets on what I decide to get. The motor will either be a 200 or a 225 hp. thanks guys
Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,525

the 4 stroke is definitely better on gas and is very quiet. You will lose top end (explain later) and your amount of maintenance will increase (oil changes, filter changes, spark plug changes). The 2 stroke is kinda hands free when it comes to maintenance and will give you a wider range in speed. The 4 stroke has a good low end and mid range is ok and the top end is noticably less than the 2 stroke. On a bay boat im not sure that means that much to you but on a bass boat a wide range allows control in rough water conditions so you can get out of the hole and maintain on plain control in the roughest conditions.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

Ive been having a 200 hpdi for 7 years now.never had any problems (except from time to time with bad gas,but not the motors fault.) Ive read many comparisons between the 2 and most have said that the better gas mileage comes from the 4 stroke up until about 3500 rpms. After that the 2 stroker takes over.Most of the time,Im doing a little more that 3500. I know my brother just got a 225 4 stroke yammi. He let it set for a couple of months,it is now in the shop with a 1200.00 price tag to get it running again.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I went from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke.
I like the quiet when running, I don't have to scream at my fishing partners.
The 4 stroke doesn't have the hole shot that the 2 stroke does.
The 4 stroke is very quiet.
The 4 stroke is supposed to be able to run at high rpm's without issues, but I don't run any outboards that hard.
I love how quiet the 4 stroke is.
The 4 stroke starts a lot easier and warms up a lot easier than my old carburated 2 stroke.
The 4 stroke is sooo dang quiet.
In my opinion, the 2 stroke has a lot more torque at any speed and conditions.
I have a 19 ft. Cobia with a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke and it doesn't shoot out of the hole like I thought it would and the top end changes drastically depending on the load.
Light load with just me, my wife and some drinks in the cooler, I can run about 50 mph.
Loaded with fishing gear, ice and drinks, and 2 fishermen, I hit 43 mph in choppy water.
However, I have hit around 47 mph with the same 2 person load on calm, flat waters.
The best thing about the 4 strokes is the quiet and the fuel economy.
I ran my boat loaded down for 95 miles and burned 24 gallons. That is a lot better than my old 2 strokes have ever done.
And the 4 stroke is unbelievably quiet. Even at high rpms.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

ray, you forgot to mention how quiet the motor really is. lol
Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

yamaha 200 4 stroke is not supposed to be that great of a motor. Have had many dealers tell me this! Which is why I have 150 4 stroke, which is a great motor.

Now the 225 is a great motor both HPDI and 4 stroke.

One thing a lot of people don't realize is that running 4 stroke at WOT burns as much if not more fuel than 2 stroke. It's cruising speed where 4 strokes outperform fuel wise. Tough call.

FWIW.....I wish I had a 200 HPDI on my boat.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I went from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke.
I like the quiet when running, I don't have to scream at my fishing partners.
The 4 stroke doesn't have the hole shot that the 2 stroke does.
The 4 stroke is very quiet.
The 4 stroke is supposed to be able to run at high rpm's without issues, but I don't run any outboards that hard.
I love how quiet the 4 stroke is.
The 4 stroke starts a lot easier and warms up a lot easier than my old carburated 2 stroke.
The 4 stroke is sooo dang quiet.
In my opinion, the 2 stroke has a lot more torque at any speed and conditions.
I have a 19 ft. Cobia with a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke and it doesn't shoot out of the hole like I thought it would and the top end changes drastically depending on the load.
Light load with just me, my wife and some drinks in the cooler, I can run about 50 mph.
Loaded with fishing gear, ice and drinks, and 2 fishermen, I hit 43 mph in choppy water.
However, I have hit around 47 mph with the same 2 person load on calm, flat waters.
The best thing about the 4 strokes is the quiet and the fuel economy.
I ran my boat loaded down for 95 miles and burned 24 gallons. That is a lot better than my old 2 strokes have ever done.
And the 4 stroke is unbelievably quiet. Even at high rpms.
not true mah 4 stroke has a hole shot that will knock your block off...
Old 08-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Great White

Mine gets out the hole good, but not as good as my old Mercury.
I liked both engines, but I like the economy and quietness of the Yamaha 4 stroke.
I have only had the 4 stroke a few months. I had the Mercury for 13 years.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-chaser View Post
ray, you forgot to mention how quiet the motor really is. lol
It is unbelievably quiet.
My brother in law has a Honda 4 stroke. It is super quiet also.
Riding in his boat made my decision about getting the 4 stroke.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

My 4 stroke has plenty of hole shot!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 01:23 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

ya you dont even know if its running or not when it is in neutral u gotta look to see if its pissin or not...and some people say they aint as powerful..but thats not true in mah case...i love 4 strokes...i got a 2 stroke on mah lil flat boat..but bay boats..4 strokes are where its at..run that thing at 3/4 throttle...u wont ever run out of gas..
Old 08-17-2009, 05:19 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

with direct injection the 2strokes are almost as good as fourstrokes. generally 2 strokes have more power throughout the power band but its all about the prop and how you load your boat. the 4-strokes are very quiet but the direct injected motors arent that bad. the real con of the fourstroke is the weight. if you like to fish skinny water weight might be an issue. also make sure your boat has a 20 inch transom to run the hpdi because you cant get them in 25. and dont buy a boat with a 25 inch transom with a 20 inch motor or vice versa, you will be very upset on performance
Old 08-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Great White

I was not saying nothing bad about 4 strokes. I love mine. But there is a difference.
I had such great luck with the old 2 stroke that I didn't want to change. Until I ran a 4 stroke.
The weight difference is not as much as I thought it would be. And I am not put off by what little extra maintenance there is, as long as I know what and when.
And they are so dang quiet... Super quiet... And no smoke. No smell.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

I owned a 150 HPDI and I now own a 4 stroke 150 Yamaha of course. The boat I have now with the 4 stroke is 400 lbs heavier then the boat I had the HPDI on. Based on the 150 HP motors the 4 stroke is hands down better than the HPDI. My hole shot is just as good or better. I found on my HPDI I good fuel economy at 4-5K rpms as long as I was not slowing down and speeding up..ie....keeping a constant speed...A few weeks ago I took my boat to Dularge and ran 91 miles per the GPS so figured I ran 88 miles and I burned 19-20 gallons running at average of 5K rpms or 42/43 mph. Read my slogan at the bottom.....enough said. Plus your resale value is high with a 4 stroke. BTW, some boat have a better fit for a HPDI over the 4 stroke. In general, the 4 stroke is a better choice. For example, I could of got a 200 HPDI on my boat for about the same price as the 150 4 stroke (which that tells you something) and got 6-7 miles top end faster based on the Yamaha performance data on their web site which was tested on my boat (Xpress X22 Bay) with both motors. With my 4 stroke I can run 50mph top speed with a full load and my hole shot is excellent...Those two things sealed the deal with me getting a 4 stroke.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Redfish

Cash: 602

Sips gas, no noise, sips oil, no smoke and @ 5000 rpm I am doing 100 mph.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05-07-08_1553.jpg (99.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 08-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

HPDI and fourstoke are both great engines,but I have more confidence in a 2 stroke as far as reliability. They both CAN give problems,mainly if you let it sit without being used. If you want the best reliable engine,go with a yamaha conventional 2 stoke carb.They do burn more fuel but you can't kill it. Pros and cons....it's really up to you man.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder_smacker View Post
with direct injection the 2strokes are almost as good as fourstrokes. generally 2 strokes have more power throughout the power band but its all about the prop and how you load your boat. the 4-strokes are very quiet but the direct injected motors arent that bad. the real con of the fourstroke is the weight. if you like to fish skinny water weight might be an issue. also make sure your boat has a 20 inch transom to run the hpdi because you cant get them in 25. and dont buy a boat with a 25 inch transom with a 20 inch motor or vice versa, you will be very upset on performance
cant get a 25 inch.... i doubt this
Old 08-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

The only HPDI yamaha makes now with a 25" shaft is the 200 H.P. All the others are 20".
Old 08-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
I owned a 150 HPDI and I now own a 4 stroke 150 Yamaha of course. The boat I have now with the 4 stroke is 400 lbs heavier then the boat I had the HPDI on. Based on the 150 HP motors the 4 stroke is hands down better than the HPDI. My hole shot is just as good or better. I found on my HPDI I good fuel economy at 4-5K rpms as long as I was not slowing down and speeding up..ie....keeping a constant speed...A few weeks ago I took my boat to Dularge and ran 91 miles per the GPS so figured I ran 88 miles and I burned 19-20 gallons running at average of 5K rpms or 42/43 mph. Read my slogan at the bottom.....enough said. Plus your resale value is high with a 4 stroke. BTW, some boat have a better fit for a HPDI over the 4 stroke. In general, the 4 stroke is a better choice. For example, I could of got a 200 HPDI on my boat for about the same price as the 150 4 stroke (which that tells you something) and got 6-7 miles top end faster based on the Yamaha performance data on their web site which was tested on my boat (Xpress X22 Bay) with both motors. With my 4 stroke I can run 50mph top speed with a full load and my hole shot is excellent...Those two things sealed the deal with me getting a 4 stroke.
yea the reason the price is diferant is because you have to add a camshaft, valves, and many many other things and the motor has to be bigger to produce the same power as a 2 stroke, price does not make the motor better
Old 08-18-2009, 08:56 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahosaphet View Post
cant get a 25 inch.... i doubt this
can get a 25 inch on the hpdi 200 only. cant get a 25 inch shaft on any v max