Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 08-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA COVE View Post
The new big horsepower tohatsus are honda engines. 250 honda and the new 250 tohatsu are the same engine....
thanks, last I heard it was just the small motors.

I don't see it as a negative because I love the tohatsu motors but if they really are the same he should buy the tohatsu 250 to save a lot of money and he will still have the same motor, just by a different name
Old 08-11-2014, 10:21 PM
Redfish

Cash: 726

I would be careful here. This sounds like saying that a Force motor was the same as a Mercury. There is NO WAY Honda is making the identical motor and selling it under the Tohatsu name for way less money. Not a chance there isn't some major difference.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:04 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifsteve View Post
I would be careful here. This sounds like saying that a Force motor was the same as a Mercury. There is NO WAY Honda is making the identical motor and selling it under the Tohatsu name for way less money. Not a chance there isn't some major difference.
at best there are usually only minor differences in rebadged motors

as to what rebadging is you actually have it reversed, tohatsu makes the motor for Honda and then Honda jacks the price up and puts their colors and Honda stickers on the motor to call it their own. that's how rebadging works, a company finds another company that can build the motor a lot cheaper then they can build it themselves so they buy the motor from them and have it painted in their own colors and stickers. in 2000 the midsized evinrudes were made by Suzuki and I could use ANY part from my Suzuki on the evinrude and ANY part from the evinrude would fit on my Suzuki. the only difference was the sticker on the cowling and they even used the same paint color unless it was the white motor.

and I have never heard anyone say a force is the same as a mercury and if they did they were misinformed
Old 08-12-2014, 07:13 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
at best there are usually only minor differences in rebadged motors

as to what rebadging is you actually have it reversed, tohatsu makes the motor for Honda and then Honda jacks the price up and puts their colors and Honda stickers on the motor to call it their own. that's how rebadging works, a company finds another company that can build the motor a lot cheaper then they can build it themselves so they buy the motor from them and have it painted in their own colors and stickers. in 2000 the midsized evinrudes were made by Suzuki and I could use ANY part from my Suzuki on the evinrude and ANY part from the evinrude would fit on my Suzuki. the only difference was the sticker on the cowling and they even used the same paint color unless it was the white motor.

and I have never heard anyone say a force is the same as a mercury and if they did they were misinformed
looks like honda is making the motors..
http://www.boatingmag.com/boats/hond...boards-tohatsu
Old 08-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
looks like honda is making the motors..
http://www.boatingmag.com/boats/hond...boards-tohatsu

ahh ok, well then I was wrong Honda is the builder and tohatsu is the buyer of Honda motors larger then 115hp so they can offer a line of big motors (never suspected that to be the case) but that would also mean the big tohatsu motors larger then 115hp wont be any cheaper then the Hondas so he is better off just getting the honda
Old 08-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 975

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifsteve View Post
Sorry for the misunderstanding. But I knew what i was talking about.. Anyway the other posts explain it. They are the same, and are manufactured by honda on anything larger than 115hp. never stated anything about them being cheaper, just put it out there that they might check into it.