SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 517
Default Maui Jim vs Costa Del Mar

Which do you guys prefer?

I owned a pair of Costa's years ago but they broke after a couple years of abuse and I didn't get them repaired. Well I'm about to break down and pick up another pair this week.

I have a friend who loves his Maui Jim's but I'm still on the fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 639

I have a pair of each and they both broke within a week of one another. Both were repaired by Maui Jim and Costa for a $10 service fee. Only difference was I got the Maui's back in a week and the Costa's took a month. Both are great glasses imo, but Maui Jims are better in terms of frame weight, durability and overall quality. Just my opinion.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

I've had both. Both are great glasses, get which ever pair is more comfortable on your head. If your are doing more inshore fishing get an amber colored lens/green mirror.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Flounder

Cash: 773

I've got a pair of both MJ and Costa's.
Maui Jim's are hands down the better of the two pair.
The lens quality and overall solidness of the maui jim's
costa'a feel a little more lighter and flimsy.

HOWEVER. im not comparing apples to apples. they are two different styles of glasses.
Regardless. Maui Jim's are my choice.

Can't go wrong with either though.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Redfish

Cash: 837

I got the Costa Man-O-War in prescription amber. When I inquired on here last winter most everyone was speaking better of the Costa's than J.M's. So after insurance I still paid $500 out of pocket and I had to send them back 3 times to get the prescription right. The last time I accepted them because it was the best they had gotten, but still not great and don't like them. I can't wear them while I'm walking or driving, it makes me dizzy. In the kayak, and boat on the water, I can live with them. Don't know if the problem lies with Costa or the popular eye glass place on Ambassador Caffery near Academy.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokcj5 View Post
I got the Costa Man-O-War in prescription amber. When I inquired on here last winter most everyone was speaking better of the Costa's than J.M's. So after insurance I still paid $500 out of pocket and I had to send them back 3 times to get the prescription right. The last time I accepted them because it was the best they had gotten, but still not great and don't like them. I can't wear them while I'm walking or driving, it makes me dizzy. In the kayak, and boat on the water, I can live with them. Don't know if the problem lies with Costa or the popular eye glass place on Ambassador Caffery near Academy.
I have prescription Costas and they are great. Clear and precise. Best visual quality I have ever had. Your problem might be with your optometrist.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 517

Yeah I tried a pair of prescription Costa's as well years ago. Had to send them back because they'd make me dizzy. Thought it was the curvature of the lens and my script not agreeing. I'll probably eventually end up with both but I'll do an impulse buy in the next day or two if I find a pair I like.

Thanks for the responses gents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

ive had both

costas are way easier to keep clean and clean
Old 08-24-2014, 09:25 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
I have prescription Costas and they are great. Clear and precise. Best visual quality I have ever had. Your problem might be with your optometrist.
Same here got mine from 20/20 on Nelson rd in LC
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 08-24-2014, 10:08 PM
Redfish

Cash: 710

My costs never hold up. The rubber under the ear piece and down the sides falls off. I fish 3-4 times a week and wear them daily but my next purchase will not include the rubber. Looking for a better brand.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:27 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 942

I had a pair of Costa Fathoms that I bought years ago. They had the glass lenses with the "cheater" lenses in the bottom of the main lens. After about 5 years the rubber on the temples disintegrated. I sent them back to Costa asking them to replace them and charge me. I didn't know how long it would take so I bought another pair, a different model, but with the glass cheater lenses, because I liked my Costas so much and needed glases while I waited for my original pair to be returned. Several weeks later (don't recall how long) Costa sent me back a brand new pair of Fathoms with the glass/cheater lenses, no charge! They said they didn't like the way the color of my original lenses had changed. (?) I never had a problem with the lenses and never noticed any change. That's what I call service. I now have 2 pair which will probably last me the rest of my life.
I have no experience with Maui and will not express an opinion on them. If a fellow SC member tells me they're great, I'll accept that. Believing that there can only be one good product, be it polarized sun glasses or pick-up trucks (silly Ford vs. Chevy feud) just doesn't fly with me. I am a realist.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:41 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,241

Both are great glasses... MJ's have much better lenses and really good service. My wife and i have both had costas in the past, we switched to MJ's 6-7 yrs ago and never looked back
Old 08-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 552

We sell both, and to be honest, it all boils down to personal preference. I own a pair of Costas for fishing, and they work great, but I own a pair of Maui Jims for everyday use.

From our sales, the Costa del Mar outsells the Maui Jims 2:1.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

My wife and I both have Maui Jims. I'll second the fast repair time. My wife's pair broke over a year ago and she just kept put them in a box and forgot about them. Last month she finally sent the package off and had them back in under a week.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,507

I have the Costa fathoms and have had them for about six years now with no issues. I abuse the hell out of them as well. You can Imagine what I put them through with two tours to Iraq and one 10 month depliyment at sea with the USS IWO JIMA.

On the other hand, my wife has the same model and she is on her second pair. Same issue that others had, the rubber around the ears go bad.

Good luck
Old 08-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,059

Go check out blackfins. I have about 5 pair of costas. My $39 blackfins work just as good and if they break it's about the same price to replace them as shipping costas off.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

$39 Costa Blackfin? Where?
Old 08-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulox86 View Post
$39 Costa Blackfin? Where?
West Marine. Black Tips. Sorry auto correct got me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1409096200156.jpg (73.6 KB, 103 views)
Old 08-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

do yourself a favor and look at Ocean Waves........