SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:17 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Default Rigging a new AR

Ok, I'm rigging up a new AR, one because they are fun to shoot, and two because you can never have enough firepower. This one is being rigged to be lightweight, since my kids love shooting them and yet still be practical. Right now the gun has been built, test fired, and can dump a 30 round clip in 1.6 seconds, yet, still weighs in less than 6 pounds(5.7 actually w/ no mag).

I have a flatop upper, with a small rail on the front for a light. I was thinking of going with the Eotech, but came across the Mepro 21 sight that is used by the Israeli military. Basically, it is afiber optic 30mm red dot sight, but does not require batteries for nighttime use. I did not want front or rear iron sights on this one, which is normally used as a backup to sight sytems in the event of battery loss, or failure - thus it makes since. I do not like mounting scopes on AR's for many reasons, but mainly they are virtually useless at night.

So, does anyone here use the Mepro 21?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Pics or it didnt happen...
Old 09-06-2011, 10:52 AM
King Mackeral

Pics of what, the gun?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,543

what type of upper and lower? .223?

I wonder too? How many guys here have eotechs? Trijicons? Curious because they are $$
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 09-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Entering A World of Pain

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Mep....html&p=854319
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 09-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Pics of what, the gun?
yeah lets see it. ARs are the shiz
Old 09-06-2011, 12:10 PM
King Mackeral

Got one of this one on my phone, let me see if I can send it to my computer then post it here. Granted, it does not have a sight on it yet!
Old 09-06-2011, 12:21 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
what type of upper and lower? .223?

I wonder too? How many guys here have eotechs? Trijicons? Curious because they are $$
I got a DPMS upper with a Poly Plum Crazy lower. It is the shiznit!!!! Beats my S&W hands down! And I don't care for a Eotech, since the battery life is hit or miss!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:00 PM
King Mackeral

here ya' go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg District F-20110902-00412.jpg (61.3 KB, 123 views)
Old 09-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,468

Nice!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
here ya' go
Love me some AR. I think I picked up almost everyone I saw at the gun show this past weekend.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:28 PM
King Mackeral

I was originally not a fan of the AR, to tell you the truth - I hated them. I started out my SOT career w/ a H&K MP-5 that was a dream to shoot. Then we went to AR-15, M-4 configurations to mimic the "military" and be like the big boys. But it took me a long time to make people understand what was painfully obvious - law enforcement/civilian protection is not military and should not be confused with such. Then all the hoopla about this add on and that add on, before you know- it looks like you have a coffee maker attached to the dang gun.

It boils down to me wanting a gun that is dependable, easy to deploy from it's hiding place, easy to swing, and can help me bring the fight to a rapid conclusion. I don't need a forward assist......I don't need a dust cover.........I don't need a Superman x-ray vision 98793lumen light...........I don't need a superlongrange poly coated composite based bi-pod...........and all that other stuff.

I want a rifle that will put alot of rounds through a car door of the Oldsmobile 98 with the tinted windows rolling up my driveway to do the home invasion robbery!!!! If they get to my door before I get the rifle, I have a nice P-220 Sig that will make a good billy club when I run out of rounds in that clip. I would much rather be in a fire fight with a handgun at close quarters anyway!
Old 09-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
I was originally not a fan of the AR, to tell you the truth - I hated them. I started out my SOT career w/ a H&K MP-5 that was a dream to shoot. Then we went to AR-15, M-4 configurations to mimic the "military" and be like the big boys. But it took me a long time to make people understand what was painfully obvious - law enforcement/civilian protection is not military and should not be confused with such. Then all the hoopla about this add on and that add on, before you know- it looks like you have a coffee maker attached to the dang gun.

It boils down to me wanting a gun that is dependable, easy to deploy from it's hiding place, easy to swing, and can help me bring the fight to a rapid conclusion. I don't need a forward assist......I don't need a dust cover.........I don't need a Superman x-ray vision 98793lumen light...........I don't need a superlongrange poly coated composite based bi-pod...........and all that other stuff.

I want a rifle that will put alot of rounds through a car door of the Oldsmobile 98 with the tinted windows rolling up my driveway to do the home invasion robbery!!!! If they get to my door before I get the rifle, I have a nice P-220 Sig that will make a good billy club when I run out of rounds in that clip. I would much rather be in a fire fight with a handgun at close quarters anyway!
Sounds like you have some haters.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:51 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Sounds like you have some haters.
Nope, but after 15 years of witnessing what one human being can do to another......... I am prepared!
Old 09-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Quote:
Oldsmobile 98
why you hatin' on my ride! lol

I agree you can absolutely go crazy with add ons for the m4...never know when you'll need to flashlight blind laser holographic site the crap out of someone
Old 09-06-2011, 03:57 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
why you hatin' on my ride! lol

I agree you can absolutely go crazy with add ons for the m4...never know when you'll need to flashlight blind laser holographic site the crap out of someone
Your avatar speaks volumes!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Nope, but after 15 years of witnessing what one human being can do to another......... I am prepared!
I hear ya,never can be too prepared. Sweet AR BTW,always wanted one myself.

Last edited by Montauk17; 09-06-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Quote:
Your avatar speaks volumes!!!!!!!!
I'm ready for another "change"
Old 09-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Banned

rig it with ammo, cases of it!

i found some pretty good deals on this site
http://www.sgammo.com/
Old 09-06-2011, 04:32 PM
King Mackeral

Those are pretty good prices, I also use www.bulkammo.com and they have them beat by a few cents/rd on what I use. I try to stay away from steel case at all cost, but I do buy a few hundred rounds a year to play with when we are going "dump" some magazines.

I use BTHP for shooting coyotes and other stuff I want dead. Then, I got the X-tacs loaded in the clips for around the homestead.