SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

View Poll Results: Which outboard would you choose?
Yamaha 4 stroke fuel injected 30 73.17%
Evinrude E-Tech 6 14.63%
Suzuki 4 stroke fuel injected 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2016, 06:53 AM
Redfish

Cash: 676
Default the great engine debate!!

Its time to repower le bateau, I have a 16x48 semi-v alweld with an omc 40hp tiller handle, with power trim and elec start. I'm wanting to repower with a 40hp to be able to go into the lacassine pool, and i want to keep power trim and elec start. I'm a yamaha man and have been looking for my unicorn, a steering motor that was converted to tiller to keep power trim, yamaha doesnt come with power trim in a tiller. Since my search has been going on for a while now I'm beginning to think of other brands that could suit my needs. I looked into the E-tech's but they are significantly heavier than the yamaha. I also looked into the suzuki, and on paper it looks pretty awesome with a bigger displacement and similar weight to yamaha, but you don't see anyone around here running small suzuki's. I WILL NOT PUT A MERCURY ON MY BOAT. So the big thing about this post is I am looking for input from people that have experience with the three motors, evinrude e-tech, yamaha 4 stroke fuel injected, or the suzuki 4 stroke fuel injected.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:18 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Have you considered the Tohatsu?

Great 4 stroke motor.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:36 AM
Redfish

I have, and i know they are very popular around the Lake Charles area, but here in new iberia there aren't any dealers and you don't see anybody around here running them. I just really don't want to go 2 hrs out of my way if i have a potential problem that needs dealer assistance.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:40 AM
Redfish

how do the tohatsu's compare in price to the others?
Old 11-03-2016, 10:03 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun87 View Post
I have, and i know they are very popular around the Lake Charles area, but here in new iberia there aren't any dealers and you don't see anybody around here running them. I just really don't want to go 2 hrs out of my way if i have a potential problem that needs dealer assistance.
Perez was Nissan dealer but since Nissan is no more he can't sell Tohatsu because Blacks has the contract. Anyway I've seen them for right around $5600ish...
Old 11-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Quote:
Blacks marine is a dealer but higher than Lake Area on price
Old 11-03-2016, 10:24 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

Go to the tohatsu website. They have a dealer locater. There is no stock 40hp motor even close to the tohatsu. Compare FACTS. Yamaha 40, Mercury 40, all 45 cubic inch motors. There is no replacement for displacement. Not sure about the others, tohatsu has 5 year warranty. The dealer will remove the restrictor and turn it into a 50hp motor and they are available in any configuration, ie:short, long, electric start, power trim, remote, tiller.. Need I say more. Lafayette is 20 miles from New Iberia. Black's Marine is a tohatsu dealer. If I read the Suzuki website correctly, their 40 is available only in long shaft.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:36 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

What you need is an old white Force, them were the best motors ever. Run forever.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:46 AM
Redfish

I didn't realize there was a dealer in laf. I know tohatsu still makes 2 strokes and 4. How do they compare against each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunChristian View Post
... There is no replacement for displacement.

X2 !
Old 11-03-2016, 12:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

I bought a 50hp Tohatsu from Black's not much of a price difference from Lake area Marine. Really like the motor so far.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124

Look at the work boats small cabbed oil field boats etc. Those boats are sued every day and they get their abuse. Companies and free lance gauger/pumpers pay close attention to whas the most reliable out there. Years ago it was merc and thats all ya saw every one using from crawfishermen to Company boats it was all merc. That changed pretty quickly when something even more rugged and reliable came out. Nuff said.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Look at the work boats small cabbed oil field boats etc. Those boats are sued every day and they get their abuse. Companies and free lance gauger/pumpers pay close attention to whas the most reliable out there. Years ago it was merc and thats all ya saw every one using from crawfishermen to Company boats it was all merc. That changed pretty quickly when something even more rugged and reliable came out. Nuff said.
Tohatsu makes smaller Mercury engines now. Also, I never seen a gauger running anything less than a 150.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:08 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,080

need one of these

diesel outboard

http://coxmarine.com/
Old 11-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Redfish

Thats the reason im wanting yamaha. I work on a boat and all we run are yamaha and PUNISH them. All the crabbers, fishermen, and oilfield workers all run yamaha. However, they are all 250's.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Tohatsu by far
Old 11-04-2016, 03:23 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunChristian View Post
Go to the tohatsu website. They have a dealer locater. There is no stock 40hp motor even close to the tohatsu. Compare FACTS. Yamaha 40, Mercury 40, all 45 cubic inch motors. There is no replacement for displacement. Not sure about the others, tohatsu has 5 year warranty. The dealer will remove the restrictor and turn it into a 50hp motor and they are available in any configuration, ie:short, long, electric start, power trim, remote, tiller.. Need I say more. Lafayette is 20 miles from New Iberia. Black's Marine is a tohatsu dealer. If I read the Suzuki website correctly, their 40 is available only in long shaft.
He knows what he is talking about
Old 11-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Listen to Cajun Christian. He knows.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:57 AM
Flounder

Cash: 729

Quote:
I didn't realize there was a dealer in laf. I know tohatsu still makes 2 strokes and 4. How do they compare against each other.

I have run nothing but Nissan and Tohatsu on my marsh boats for the last 23 years and have not had an issue with any of them. I currently have a 2016 Tohatsu 25 four stroke on an 1844 tunnel that I use to fish the Burns and Laccasine.
I wouldn't go back to a 2 stroke, I'm sure the same would be true for 2 verses 4 stroke 40hp comparison. The fuel consumption difference makes it a no brainer. My son has a 2 stroke 25 Nissan on his 1844 tunnel. We fished all the same spots one day in the Burns. He was by himself, my wife was in the boat with me. When we got back to the launch he was running on fumes, I had burnt 2 gallons.
I've heard the new Tohatsu 40 four strokes are slightly faster than the Tohatsu 2 strokes. I haven't run one yet myself though.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:04 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubass View Post
I have run nothing but Nissan and Tohatsu on my marsh boats for the last 23 years and have not had an issue with any of them. I currently have a 2016 Tohatsu 25 four stroke on an 1844 tunnel that I use to fish the Burns and Laccasine.
I wouldn't go back to a 2 stroke, I'm sure the same would be true for 2 verses 4 stroke 40hp comparison. The fuel consumption difference makes it a no brainer. My son has a 2 stroke 25 Nissan on his 1844 tunnel. We fished all the same spots one day in the Burns. He was by himself, my wife was in the boat with me. When we got back to the launch he was running on fumes, I had burnt 2 gallons.
I've heard the new Tohatsu 40 four strokes are slightly faster than the Tohatsu 2 strokes. I haven't run one yet myself though.
Also great on fuel. I avg ~10mpg at crusing speed...3/4 throttle on my 40 with 15p powertech