SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion > Freshwater Fishing Reports

Freshwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite freshwater spots here

Old 04-28-2018, 09:39 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,062
Default Afternoon and morning trips- the burns

Brother in law and I took off work early Wednesday (4/25) to hit the marsh. We have only been out a few times this year due to work and other obligations so it was nice to get out. We launched on the south side of the Gibbstown bridge and fished from about 3 - 6:30. The wind was light out of the south and the weather was nice before the small front that was planned to go through Wednesday night. The pressure was falling and it was partly to mostly cloudy. We caught probably 25-30 bass and kept 20 and one white perch. We fished paddle tails and speed craws with the most fish caught on paddle tails. We also hooked and released 2 3 ft. alligator gar. I thought about cleaning them, but didnt feel like going through the trouble for just 2. All in all, it was a great trip. Even got back and loaded before the mosquitos got crazy.

What a difference a day makes

Thursday mid morning, my wife and I decided to go fishing. We went to the same general area as the day before and fished from 9-12:30. The weather had changed after the front to steady 15 mph north winds, bluebird conditions and higher pressure. We caught 10 -12 bass and only kept 4. We fished paddle tails and a few other baits. It was a lot tougher fishing but we had a good time just being out there. We did see a very large choupique with a 6 inch bird leg and foot hanging out of its mouth. I guess some heron or duck got too close.

After cleaning fish, some of the bass still had eggs. I dont know if they all havent spawned, but this seems like the latest in the year I have caught bass with eggs. I guess the cooler weather has held them off. Also, none of the bass had crawfish in them this time. It was all small perch and minnows.

I hope to get back out there soon. My 3 year old has been wanting to go, so I may introduce him to the marsh. It should be fun if I can keep him from jumping over the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2018, 05:21 PM
Flounder

Cash: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonf View Post
Brother in law and I took off work early Wednesday (4/25) to hit the marsh. We have only been out a few times this year due to work and other obligations so it was nice to get out. We launched on the south side of the Gibbstown bridge and fished from about 3 - 6:30. The wind was light out of the south and the weather was nice before the small front that was planned to go through Wednesday night. The pressure was falling and it was partly to mostly cloudy. We caught probably 25-30 bass and kept 20 and one white perch. We fished paddle tails and speed craws with the most fish caught on paddle tails. We also hooked and released 2 3 ft. alligator gar. I thought about cleaning them, but didnt feel like going through the trouble for just 2. All in all, it was a great trip. Even got back and loaded before the mosquitos got crazy.

What a difference a day makes

Thursday mid morning, my wife and I decided to go fishing. We went to the same general area as the day before and fished from 9-12:30. The weather had changed after the front to steady 15 mph north winds, bluebird conditions and higher pressure. We caught 10 -12 bass and only kept 4. We fished paddle tails and a few other baits. It was a lot tougher fishing but we had a good time just being out there. We did see a very large choupique with a 6 inch bird leg and foot hanging out of its mouth. I guess some heron or duck got too close.

After cleaning fish, some of the bass still had eggs. I dont know if they all havent spawned, but this seems like the latest in the year I have caught bass with eggs. I guess the cooler weather has held them off. Also, none of the bass had crawfish in them this time. It was all small perch and minnows.

I hope to get back out there soon. My 3 year old has been wanting to go, so I may introduce him to the marsh. It should be fun if I can keep him from jumping over the side.

Nice job do you have to have a permit to fish the burns?

Old 04-28-2018, 06:02 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,160

Great stuff. I?ve been laying low due to heavy winds and bluebird days (need some clouds and some rain).
Glad to see you catching.
Do you mainly fish canals or shallow marsh?
I?ve been fishing marsh but I?m gonna try a little deeper area tomorrow. A few inches of rain out there would be nice.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:16 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingdirty View Post
Nice job do you have to have a permit to fish the burns?

Yes. If you search for Miami Corp or the Burns, there are a lot of posts about it on here. It?s a fun place to fish.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:25 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Boo View Post
Great stuff. I?ve been laying low due to heavy winds and bluebird days (need some clouds and some rain).
Glad to see you catching.
Do you mainly fish canals or shallow marsh?
I?ve been fishing marsh but I?m gonna try a little deeper area tomorrow. A few inches of rain out there would be nice.

We mainly fish the big ponds in the front. We may try running to the canals soon, but we always want to start fishing so we rarely run too far.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:06 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,160
Default Afternoon and morning trips- the burns

I went out in the back yesterday. Sky was extra bluebird, barometric pressure was high, had a full moon the night before, no wind until noon, and boy did I not do great.
Ended up perch-jerking in the canal with a crappie jig and had a blast.