SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 03-17-2014, 03:55 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I'm curious. Why are you so opposed to braid? Seriously. A premium coated braid is a very good all around line. Especially when used in conjuction with a fluro leader. This is how most of my rods are spooled. I'm like you. All my rods/reels are spinning. I also can't cast a bait caster to save my life and don't see the need to switch from what works for me and that said, I do plan on spooling up my topwater rod with mono this year for specks but will continue to keep 20pound Spectra coated braid on the majority of my rods. I also spool up 20pound Trileen Big Game on my guest rods and my youngest sons rod because it is more forgiving. But for the majority of my use I like the sensitivity, casting ability, strength and logivity of braid for the majority of my needs. Have you ever tried braid?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:26 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
I'm curious. Why are you so opposed to braid? Seriously. A premium coated braid is a very good all around line. Especially when used in conjuction with a fluro leader. This is how most of my rods are spooled. I'm like you. All my rods/reels are spinning. I also can't cast a bait caster to save my life and don't see the need to switch from what works for me and that said, I do plan on spooling up my topwater rod with mono this year for specks but will continue to keep 20pound Spectra coated braid on the majority of my rods. I also spool up 20pound Trileen Big Game on my guest rods and my youngest sons rod because it is more forgiving. But for the majority of my use I like the sensitivity, casting ability, strength and logivity of braid for the majority of my needs. Have you ever tried braid?
I have no good answer to that, its not anything tangible but all mental I guess.

yes I tried braid a long time ago but it just felt like cheating to me, like canned hunting deer tied to a fence.

I just don't feel it sporting to use something advertised as such hard to break line and remove all the suspense of not knowing the outcome of the battle because the line may break on you.

I find the increased risk of mono adds to the suspense and sportiness of fishing so I don't feel like I have any "unfair" advantages over the fish and we are closer equal levels of winning and losing in the battle. that's why I like light tackle fishing rather then winching fish in with braid line and no concerns the line will ever break.

braid is great stuff and I don't want to imply I think there is anything wrong with it but I just don't like using them. that said my experience with it was years ago when spider wire was the next great thing and it was being advertised as the "unbreakable line"

admittedly I never gave it enough of a chance because im sure if I went down to 6 lb braid or something small that does break at something equal to the 14-15 lbs break strength of mono, then I might like it and not be bothered by that feeling like im cheating somehow.

I suppose I do need to stop being so hard headed about it and give braid another try.

with braid what is the "true" breaking strength because the last I knew anything about braid it was a lot stronger then the test ratings they advertised. if I get 12 lb braid will it pop with 13 lbs of weight on it?

Last edited by keakar; 03-17-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Mono catches more fish period!!

Braid is good for topwater and big baits like corkys etc

But #S mono will out fish braid hands down no contest on plastics
Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Mono catches more fish period!!

Braid is good for topwater and big baits like corkys etc

But #S mono will out fish braid hands down no contest on plastics
So when someone catches a limit of fish on braid is a freak accident?
Old 03-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Braid is awful for tops IMO

Spiral Out
Old 03-17-2014, 12:05 PM
Ling

Unless it's a really light super slick type.

Spiral Out
Old 03-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
So when someone catches a limit of fish on braid is a freak accident?
You fish plastic with braid, I will fish with mono..

If you out fish me you get a free trip, if you lose you pay for trip, you can fish front of boat and run trolling motor I'll fish in back
Old 03-17-2014, 12:15 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
Quote:
Unless it's a really light super slick type.
Yeah, I agree. I was surprised at ''W''s comment.

As far as being ''unfair''. It's fishing man! If you don't want to keep the fish turn it loose. I fish to catch fish. I use every single thing I can to help me put fish in the boat. I even use trot lines and Jug lines for catfish. Nothing frustrates me more than inferior equipment failing on me during use. I want the best quality I can get to help me be successful. If there is the next world record fish on the other end of that line I dang sure want to make sure I can get it to the boat. If your looking for a challenge pick up a fly rod with a light tippet. That will keep your heart in your throat with a big fish.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,142

I fish a wacky worm a lot at Toledo and Rayburn when water temps are right. I fish with a guy that blames breaking off on mono but he uses old line that he has had for a while. I catch 5 to 1 most of the time on bass on a wacky worm. I finally got him to put a 3 ft fluorocarbon leader and his success rate has gotten a lot better.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
I have no good answer to that, its not anything tangible but all mental I guess.

yes I tried braid a long time ago but it just felt like cheating to me, like canned hunting deer tied to a fence.

I just don't feel it sporting to use something advertised as such hard to break line and remove all the suspense of not knowing the outcome of the battle because the line may break on you.

I find the increased risk of mono adds to the suspense and sportiness of fishing so I don't feel like I have any "unfair" advantages over the fish and we are closer equal levels of winning and losing in the battle. that's why I like light tackle fishing rather then winching fish in with braid line and no concerns the line will ever break.

braid is great stuff and I don't want to imply I think there is anything wrong with it but I just don't like using them. that said my experience with it was years ago when spider wire was the next great thing and it was being advertised as the "unbreakable line"

admittedly I never gave it enough of a chance because im sure if I went down to 6 lb braid or something small that does break at something equal to the 14-15 lbs break strength of mono, then I might like it and not be bothered by that feeling like im cheating somehow.

I suppose I do need to stop being so hard headed about it and give braid another try.

with braid what is the "true" breaking strength because the last I knew anything about braid it was a lot stronger then the test ratings they advertised. if I get 12 lb braid will it pop with 13 lbs of weight on it?
So u dont fish braid because its not a challenge but u use 15-20lb mono for specks and reds. Thats hilarious.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Great White

Quote:

If you out fish me you get a free trip, if you lose you pay for trip, you can fish front of boat and run trolling motor I'll fish in back
Do I get to use a leader? If so let's do it.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Great White

Quote:

Spiral Out
x2....anything with treble hooks I use mono or floro.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:32 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Do I get to use a leader? If so let's do it.
Yep,
Old 03-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Ling

Quote:

A little stretch helps them get the bait a bit deeper I will agree to that but it isn't that big of a disparity imo. I alternate between both on plastics and honestly prefer 10# braid. I dont use the heavy stuff maybe that's the difference. I can cast really far with it too and on a long cast the no stretch makes for better hook ups but on my shrimp tail special rod I use mono or floro. They all work just stick with what you like just don't ask me to scoot any closer b/c you can't reach em

Spiral Out
Old 03-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Ling

Quote:
Yep,

Yall each have to have a clicker. Here we go. Salty Gate 2014

Spiral Out
Old 03-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Great White

Quote:
Yall each have to have a clicker. Here we go. Salty Gate 2014

Spiral Out
Nah I just like to stir the pot sometimes...won't happen.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post

If you get 12lb mono, will it break at 12lb? Have you done tensile tests?
Old 03-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Great White

Quote:
A little stretch helps them get the bait a bit deeper I will agree to that but it isn't that big of a disparity imo. I alternate between both on plastics and honestly prefer 10# braid. I dont use the heavy stuff maybe that's the difference. I can cast really far with it too and on a long cast the no stretch makes for better hook ups but on my shrimp tail special rod I use mono or floro. They all work just stick with what you like just don't ask me to scoot any closer b/c you can't reach em

Spiral Out
I tried 10 pound before and loved how it handled but got too many wind knots with it. Maybe I got a bad spool but now I use 20 pound stren sonic braid and spiderwire ultracast.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Ling

Did you use powe pro super slick ? Cuz I seriously can't remember the last time I got a wind knot. If you don't over fill the spool it's money.
I don't use the light stuff on bait casters though. Just the Stradics.

Spiral Out
Old 03-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Ling

Give 10# SS power pro a try on a spinning outfit and thank me lata.

Spiral Out