SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Redfish

Cash: 811
Default Tourney fishing and shared expensess

Hey everyone, this is mainly for you guys that fish tourneys. I plan on fishing some tourneys this year and have been looking for a partner. I have a boat and the few guys I have talked to do not. How do you tourney fishermen split expenses? If you get in the money, do you split it 50/50? I have owned boats most of my life and know what it cost to maintain on properly but I know that if a non boater was to hire a guide what it would cost him each trip. I just want it to be fair for both of us. I posted this on another forum and wanted to see the difference of another area.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,318

All the guy's I ever tournament fished with had boats also and we prefished one boat and fished tourney in other (usually). We took expenses of top and split any other monies we won.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 9,130

I am not getting what you are asking... are you suggesting you are providing services like a guide?? There should be no difference in how you split with a nonboater vs. boater. When I fished a tourney we took my boat. split gas in truck, boat, and entry fee. The only extras i asked were for him to provide food and drinks since we were using my boat. Pot is 50/50 unless there is a Big fish rule and that is determined day of tourney.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

split fuel/entry up front then if ya'll place split the winnings. If there is a big bass category decide before catching if ya'll will split it or not. I have always split all winnings including big bass, unless the guy in my boat was a competitor.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltERedneck View Post
I am not getting what you are asking... are you suggesting you are providing services like a guide?? There should be no difference in how you split with a nonboater vs. boater. When I fished a tourney we took my boat. split gas in truck, boat, and entry fee. The only extras i asked were for him to provide food and drinks since we were using my boat. Pot is 50/50 unless there is a Big fish rule and that is determined day of tourney.
That right there is a deal.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 768

We always split 50/50 even if it's a single fish tournament.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:03 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,554

Quote:
I don't really get it either. Your boat is a sunk cost as far as the tourney is concerned, so you can't expect someone to give you anything extra for using your boat - it is your partner after all. You could compensate by having the other guy use his truck to pull the boat... All other expenses are typically 50/50.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

If you are going to use the same boat for every tourney then I would divide the winnings in 3rds 1/3 for each member and 1/3 for the boat set aside for when it breaks. at the end of the year use the boat money for yearly maintenance and split the rest 50/50. Also split your expenses 50/50.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Ling

Cash: 8,577

Simple 50/50 or fish it solo and pay everything....it shouldnt be any different...not being rude but your not a guide YALL are working together as a team for a TOURNEY PRIZE...If its me 50/50 everything..
Old 07-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Redfish

Cash: 811

What I am trying to state is that it seems when I take a non boater fishing they dont understand the cost of running and owning a boat,they feel $20 is ok for gas money, but I agree that the boat is my expense and the expense of taking the boat out for a touney should be split 50/50.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugbug2000 View Post
What I am trying to state is that it seems when I take a non boater fishing they dont understand the cost of running and owning a boat,they feel $20 is ok for gas money, but I agree that the boat is my expense and the expense of taking the boat out for a touney should be split 50/50.
Write it all down at the end of the trip... when its on paper you cant dismiss the facts.

Tally it up and show em what the entire trip's cost was. Proof in the puddin.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Great White

Anytime that I fish in someone's boat, I pay for fuel. As far as I'm concerned, he paid his part when I climbed into his boat. When I went fishing with W in his boat, I offered to pay for the fuel, but, he wouldn't take any money. Guess he wanted me oweing him the rest of my life. This is not a tourney situation, but, it's just the way I feel it should be.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Anytime that I fish in someone's boat, I pay for fuel. As far as I'm concerned, he paid his part when I climbed into his boat. When I went fishing with W in his boat, I offered to pay for the fuel, but, he wouldn't take any money. Guess he wanted me oweing him the rest of my life. This is not a tourney situation, but, it's just the way I feel it should be.
Guess we will be taking my boat EVERY time if this applies. $$$
Old 07-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 654

Before I bought my boat I felt bad for only paying 50% or whatever % was my share. I felt like the person buying the boat was getting screwed. After buying the boat I won't take more than the 50% from someone because I am happy to get that. If I were to expect more I wouldn't have as many people that would want to go so I would end up paying 100% of the gas if I had no one to go with me. Now I do think if yall are fishing tournaments and winning enough money to have excess after the fuel bill and entry fees are paid the boat owner should get some of the maintenance cost out of the winnings. Like 100 hrs service, water pump replacement. I really wouldnt want someone making money off of tournaments and I dont because of the maintenance cost and we used my boat.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Great White

Quote:
Guess we will be taking my boat EVERY time if this applies. $$$
The entertainment I provide should be adequate for my share of expenses.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

I always like to use my equipment and insist 50/50 on everything, including door prizes...

We fished a LOBI 5 or 6 years ago and my partner won a fourwheeler as a door prize loaded up with racks, winch, and on a utility trailer, he bought me out of my half...

Nice tournament

Hydro
Old 07-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Redfish

Cash: 805

Anytime i go fishing in someone else's boat i insist on giving gas money because i know what's it like to get screw with all the expenses when I bring ppl that don't understand how much it costs to go on a fishing trip...that being said when we go in my boat i never ask for gas money but the people who come and offer to help with gas money get another invite, the people who don't made two trips in one, their first and their last.....but i never except more than half of what it costs...always 50/50
Old 07-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Brad and I got sponsorship money for entries ect but also made a fund we each put 2k in it we first used sponsorship money when that ran out we took $ from our tourney fund . We also split all maintenance . At end of series we split the costs to have a regular maintenance done...( lower unit gear oil....ect) split winnings 50/50 which wasn't n issue bcuz we were always 1-2 places out of the money lol.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
The entertainment I provide should be adequate for my share of expenses.
That's me! A laugh a minute! I always try to pay more than my 1/2. I figure that way I might get asked again. :o

EVO
Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

This is why I fish my circuits alone

And for my team tourneys, he puts my gas, and I pay entry, if the gas don't equal entry he pays for ice and food.

we split all winnings (including side pot)