SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-30-2016, 02:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,075

I body them up. Off to the side of the speck decoys. I only use full bodies though. Red leg on here smacks the snows. But he's also unbelievable on a snow call. I never thought there was any talent of buzzard calling till I heard him. So he will be the guy to ask.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:25 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-addict View Post
I body them up. Off to the side of the speck decoys. I only use full bodies though. Red leg on here smacks the snows. But he's also unbelievable on a snow call. I never thought there was any talent of buzzard calling till I heard him. So he will be the guy to ask.
^^X2
Everyone can take advantage of fog and accidentally kill a mess of snows, but that guy has it down to an art.

Aubrey, if you're getting on the blind I'm thinking you are, cut you some 3' or so pieces of small diameter PVC or conduit and "pass some spray paint on dat." Just stick those however deep you need and put your full bod stakes in the PVC so they'll be above the water
Old 10-03-2016, 09:27 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

I don't plan on killing more than one or two lost snows, but I have a few decoys and figured it couldn't hurt to have em out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2016, 09:30 AM
King Mackeral

And for the record, in no way do i expect to go out and smash limits of specks on a regular basis out of this blind. But i like calling them and i like killing them so I just would like to know how to put myself in the best situation to do so

Old 10-03-2016, 01:17 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
And for the record, in no way do i expect to go out and smash limits of specks on a regular basis out of this blind. But i like calling them and i like killing them so I just would like to know how to put myself in the best situation to do so

Over the last 10 years I have had the pleasure to hunt some great land and I have been very fortunate to have had many great hunts, I guess about 3 years ago I picked up a crawfish pond for what the farmer said was strictly ducks I had a goose pit so i figured if I could get a few ducks down that would be a added bonus. Well opening morning of duck I hunted that blind killed 11 ducks but limited out 4 guys with specks, and it only went up from there. We ended up having a bang up year with specks in a field everyone told me I might shoot 5 specks all year. Now I having said that you must know a lot of factors came into place.

1) location was good we had a good morning and afternoon speck flight
2) blind concealment was key and played a huge roll in our success with the specks
3) calling, now I am by no means a great call, I am average and I am able to kill birds day in day out, but knowing how the calling differed when hunting over water to when I was hunting dry field was huge
4) decoy placement. Like I explained earlier have the battle is tricking the birds. just because you have deep water does not mean the specks no its deep water.

This blind could be better then you expect, Just remember to be ready for anything.

As far as snow decoys thats just one more thing you'll have to do and based upon that is why I never set them out.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:00 PM
King Mackeral

In y'all's experiences, are full bodies worth the extra trouble and money if I'm just gonna be hunting over water anyway?

Old 10-03-2016, 04:05 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
In y'all's experiences, are full bodies worth the extra trouble and money if I'm just gonna be hunting over water anyway?

I live and die by the full body. I will not waste money on shells, rags, silos, etc I only by full bodies. I find they work better. They look better etc
Old 10-03-2016, 04:06 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I live and die by the full body. I will not waste money on shells, rags, silos, etc I only by full bodies. I find they work better. They look better etc

I understand the rags, silos, shells. But over water full bodies still better than floaters?

Old 10-03-2016, 05:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
I understand the rags, silos, shells. But over water full bodies still better than floaters?

I find they work so much better. I'll never by floaters either. I feel like specks prefer to land where they can walk (or at least think they can walk).
Plus full bodies look better stick out more.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:47 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

[QUOTE=speck-addict;808366]
3) calling, now I am by no means a great call, I am average and I am able to kill birds day in day out, but knowing how the calling differed when hunting over water to when I was hunting dry field was huge
QUOTE]
Please elaborate on this. The best hunts I've been on have been over a dry set aside field last season, but that was with friends who are experienced callers. I had a few good hunts at my blind over water while I was the one calling. I haven't had enough experience yet to really tell a difference in the way the birds react over water vs over dry ground. Keep in mind the dry field was in a heavily pressured area, and my spot over water was in Central LA where the specks don't get called at as much as down south (I think that's why I was able to kill a few). I could barely cluck as of then (last season).
Old 10-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Trophy Trout

[quote=C-Bass2mouth;808608]
Quote:
QUOTE]
Please elaborate on this. The best hunts I've been on have been over a dry set aside field last season, but that was with friends who are experienced callers. I had a few good hunts at my blind over water while I was the one calling. I haven't had enough experience yet to really tell a difference in the way the birds react over water vs over dry ground. Keep in mind the dry field was in a heavily pressured area, and my spot over water was in Central LA where the specks don't get called at as much as down south (I think that's why I was able to kill a few). I could barely cluck as of then (last season).
So calling over water to specks is Like hunting open water for ducks verse timber.
The sound will stay high and louder If you have water not by much but enough to where If you don't some what adjust those birds will know something is different.

Also look as geese congregate more in dry field rather then flooded fields you calling style (at least in my experiences) changes. Dry field more clucks especially fast exciting double clucks, less 2 or 3 note yodels once you get the birds to start working. In a flooded field I find a lower quieter call only when need to works better. example get there attention with a 2 or 3 note yodel work them down throw in a few clucks more single/soft finishing double clucks but when they swing out work them like a duck 2 or 3 note yodels.

And all this varies caller to caller I have seen other techniques work, but that is what works day in day out for me.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
How do y'all use snow/blue decoys in relation to specks?

Leave snow/blue dekes at the house....unless you have 1000 of em.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:10 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
Leave snow/blue dekes at the house....unless you have 1000 of em.

True dat!!! This is the only answer there is. Now, If you got 1000, put em all out!!
Old 10-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

floaters are just as good as full bodies.

dont forget, you are trying to trick a bird, not land a space shuttle on the moon.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:29 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
floaters are just as good as full bodies.

dont forget, you are trying to trick a bird, not land a space shuttle on the moon.

Sometimes out there though, I feel like a space shuttle would be easier.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:58 AM
King Mackeral

I think I figured it out.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:38 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
I think I figured it out.

just dont use sunflower seeds... they float
Old 10-09-2016, 07:36 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
just dont use sunflower seeds... they float
LOL so you been told right?
Old 10-10-2016, 12:05 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 9,671

Always use corn upwind want them to work between the corn and blind and molasses works better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

Corn

Ah...yes...the old 'Golden Retriever'.