SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962
Hairout Duck Hunting...

Just saw on FB where a man and his 5 yr old son went duck hunting on a lake east of Dallas...When they didn't return at dark 30 family called authorities...

The father is still missing but they found the 5 yr old drown without a life jacket on...Retriever was found alive...

So very sad.... My heart goes out to that family...

Remember guys.. When in a boat in winter summer or when ever???? Please wear your PFD...

If U have children hunting or fishing in a boat with U.. They are required to wear a PFD... But also it's common sense... Both of my boys where hunting and fishing with me when they were 4-5 yrs old...

I fished a 29' diesal boat when I was married... They were required to wear a PFD anytime they were on the back deck.... No Exceptions.....
Should also have a ditch bag with extra warm clothes, socks rain gear, etc...

When we hunted and traveled by boat... All wore PFD's... Also No one wore Hip boots or waders.. We put our boots or waders on when we got to my destination... I hunted the wax for years.. Saw so many people wearing there waders leaving the landing, some etc.. If I saw a dad with a young child and he was in waders .. I'd respectfully speak up....and Remind the Dad , that may be not the smartest move... I also had running lights and several spot or flood lights.. I almost past over a flat and go-devil traveling the Calumet with not running lights... If you get hit will BADD weather... Stay Puttt.. Don't travel in a gator tail or flat in 25-40 MPH winds in open or large water.

I was raised duck and goose hunting.. It's a sports I've excelled at and loved for over 50 yrs. It makes my heart so heavy to think of that 5 yr. old... The same age when my son and I took his oldest on his first duck hunt...

Again all these things are common sense.... These accidents can and should be preventable..

Should never happen..... PLEASE Heed this reminder.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:48 PM
Redfish

Cash: 705

I agree with you 100% biggun! Something that I would like to add to your post: Always wear your kill-switch. If you are thrown out of the boat and you have your PDF you may not get out of the way of an out of control boat. You may not drown but you sure as hell could be cut to pieces.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:51 PM
Redfish

Cash: 705

Excuse me...it should be PFD.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

natural selection is not a myth.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:18 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopete View Post

No its not but that kid did not deserve to die because of his dad's ignorance/stupidity
Old 01-04-2017, 02:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post
No its not but that kid did not deserve to die because of his dad's ignorance/stupidity
x2
Old 01-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopete View Post
It's not a myth that you're a moron either.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:09 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post
No one is saying the kid deserved to die but his dad was sho nuff stupid in more than one way. Big lake, little boat. Goin out in storm. Bringing child in tiny boat and storms. No life jackets......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Red Snapper

Guys... It's a 5 yr old... How many of You all have young sons??? I don't know about stupid.. That storm that came thru monday this area was a Mo Fo..... Maybe it was calm that morning??? The weather hit them.. And he tried to get back safely???

Again. Put Ur self in the Dad shoes.... 5 yrs old...Haven't heard if the father was found??? When we hunted the wax my younger boys SAT in the bottom of the boat on the deck out of the wind... Plus there life jackets were on and no waders either...

How many of U wear Ur waders in a boat going hunting??? Alot I'm sure. I'm not talking about running the marsh in 6-12" of water.... If U do, does that make U all Stupid???.....No... Careless ???OVER-confident??? Yes .....Just a reminder.. That's why they call them accidents...

My heart hurts big time for that family... Just take a few minutes to make sure U and all ur passengers have a PFD on... Plus NO waders or hip boots!!!!
Old 01-05-2017, 01:08 PM
King Mackeral

Number 1, that was a defined line of storms forecasted and easily discernible on ur radar. Number 2, waders, especially neoprene waders, are buoyant. They help you float they don't drag u down. 5 years old? Tiny boat on big water? Yeah dumb. And yes, the fathers carcass was found. Put ur waders on and get in the pool and see for urself

Old 01-05-2017, 02:27 PM
King Mackeral

It's like political correctness has poisoned everyone and nobody will admit that some folk are just dumb or stupid. You can hide your head all you want but there are still stupid people among us.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,003

I am impressed that you used the right version of your/you're. You also did a good job of proving that it's not a myth that you're a complete idiot.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:43 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

When the winds were real bad, daddy would bring me and my younger brother for extra limits out to Fausse Pointe. I was 5 and little bro was 4. The coots would stack up in the protected water and we would paddle up to them and flock shoot them

We were coming out one day and daddys motor got hung up on a trotline. Started taking waves over the boat. Boat sunk and water was about 5 feet deep. Daddy could stand up, but we couldnt. He got some of that trotline string and tied up a pile of coots. He set me and little bro on a pile of coots and floated us back to the bank
Old 01-05-2017, 03:25 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
When the winds were real bad, daddy would bring me and my younger brother for extra limits out to Fausse Pointe. I was 5 and little bro was 4. The coots would stack up in the protected water and we would paddle up to them and flock shoot them

We were coming out one day and daddys motor got hung up on a trotline. Started taking waves over the boat. Boat sunk and water was about 5 feet deep. Daddy could stand up, but we couldnt. He got some of that trotline string and tied up a pile of coots. He set me and little bro on a pile of coots and floated us back to the bank

That's called keeping you wits about you in an emergency. Your dad a very smart man. Especially for haulin you little ones out der for a fatter limit.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:38 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
That's called keeping you wits about you in an emergency. Your dad a very smart man. Especially for haulin you little ones out der for a fatter limit.
We plucked the coots and used their feathers to start a fire while daddy walked back
Old 01-05-2017, 07:09 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
We plucked the coots and used their feathers to start a fire while daddy walked back
Coot feathers make da warmest fires

Old 01-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Red Snapper

Just read on FB.. 3 more young duck hunters from Houston died Friday in Matagorda Bay........

18,19, and 25 yrs old....... I'm sure not wearin PFD's again???
Old 01-09-2017, 08:18 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
Just read on FB.. 3 more young duck hunters from Houston died Friday in Matagorda Bay........

18,19, and 25 yrs old....... I'm sure not wearin PFD's again???
Too young and bullet proof for a dumb old life jacket. Another one drown in Oklahoma tryna save his dog

Old 01-10-2017, 12:35 PM
Flounder

Cash: 29

2 rescued in Venice Saturday and a few more out of Lake Leary in Delacroix same day. Saw both on NOLA.com

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk