SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245
Default Solar pannels

Has anyone ever messed with them? I about to build a 40 x 50 work shop and Im thinking about putting them on top the workshop.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by latravcha View Post
Has anyone ever messed with them? I about to build a 40 x 50 work shop and Im thinking about putting them on top the workshop.
I know the tax break was once nearly 100% of the cost to install them.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Red Snapper

80% now but have been told you can talk the installers it splitlitting the other 20% on up charge.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:35 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

My senior project in college was to install and maintain a solar house. Beau Soleil was the name of the home, it was shipped to Washington D.C. to compete in the Dept Of Energy Solar Home contest. It is still intact and producing energy in Geraurd Park. It's ugly as hell but pretty cool concept.

What kind of questions do you have about solar panels?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

We have friends that installed a 13KW system on their house and the final cost after federal and state rebates was about 6 or 7 thousand dollars.
They have gas heat, so they bank credit all winter and in the summer, their elect bill runs about $5 to $50 a month in a 4000 sq. ft. house.
They don't pay you for the elect. you produce, they just give you credit.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
We have friends that installed a 13KW system on their house and the final cost after federal and state rebates was about 6 or 7 thousand dollars.
They have gas heat, so they bank credit all winter and in the summer, their elect bill runs about $5 to $50 a month in a 4000 sq. ft. house.
They don't pay you for the elect. you produce, they just give you credit.

good info right here
Old 09-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

This guy said that the Feds and State gov. are thinking about scaling back their rebates.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
My senior project in college was to install and maintain a solar house. Beau Soleil was the name of the home, it was shipped to Washington D.C. to compete in the Dept Of Energy Solar Home contest. It is still intact and producing energy in Geraurd Park. It's ugly as hell but pretty cool concept.

What kind of questions do you have about solar panels?
Is it worth it?
What kind of maintenance can I expect?
How durable are they? Can they stand up hurricanes, hail, kids baseballs?
Does it have to be facing North south? What would happen if I faced it east west?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Quote:
Is it worth it?
What kind of maintenance can I expect?
How durable are they? Can they stand up hurricanes, hail, kids baseballs?
Does it have to be facing North south? What would happen if I faced it east west?
Is it worth it?: In my opinion not yet. Maybe with all of the tax rebates you can make your money back but I think we still have a decade or so to go in Solar Panel research and development.

Maintenance: Minimal. The panels are more efficient when clean so it is best to keep them clean and free of dust. I think most come with a 15 year warranty.

Hurricane: The ones that we bought were guaranteed to survive a hurricane with correct installation.

Hail, baseballs: We did break one panel while installing. They do shatter.

North, South: Best to face the panels in the direction that they will receive the most direct sunlight throughout the year. What direction depends on your exact location. I can't remember exactly which direction we faced them in Lafayette, but it definitely makes a difference. There is data that can be found on which direction is best for your location. IF they do face in wrong direction you simply would not have get maximum output from your system.

I believe the panels that we bought were $1k/panel. This was 5-6 years ago so I am sure they are much cheaper now. These were 200 watt panels. We had 36 of them and I think the most I ever saw us produce was 6.5k watts. That is instantaneous, to produce 6.5 k watt hours you would need to produce this much energy over an hour. a Kilo watt hour is how the electrical company charges you. This is on a perfectly clear day in the middle of the summer. The production drops substantially on a cloudy day.

Now for the poster who was talking about a 13.5k watt system that is very impressive. I would like to see his set up with all of those panels. The problem is you need a big enough roof, or an independent structure to support all of these panels. Also, I remember hearing that once you go into the green for the month with the electrical company, or produce more energy than you consume, they do not give you a 1:1 trade. They pay you a percentage of what they charge you for the same amount of energy. Check with your energy supplier to confirm or discount this.

This price does not include mounting (we used uni-strut), or inverters. The panels produce DC voltage so the inverters have to convert the energy to AC voltage before it can be applied to your electrical panel. Not sure about the price of the inverters but we had two on our system and split the panels up evenly to each one.

One thing you may be interested in is in the case of a power outage the inverters would shut down. You can not produce energy from your panel without power from the electrical company to run the inverters.

I still have some documents that show daily/weekly/monthly power production of our system if you are interested. Hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,296

Call La Radio in Lake Charles, friend of mine, he can explain & they install systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 949

50% tax refund available imediately after install and 30% refund that is applied to your federal tax liability. most panels carry a 25 year warranty which is saying the panel will be making 80% of the rated output at 25 years. most inverter carry a 15 to 20 year warranty as well. maintanance just hose them down if you do not get rain for a while. the systems that we install have a computer progam that comes with the system and you can see what every panel in the system is doing at this minute, the day , the month , and the year.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:

What are your intentions for the workshop?

If you going to have a welding machine, bench grinder and things like that you may not wat solar power.

If you only going to run lights with your system it may be worth it in the long run.

I would run a 220 from the Electrical company to power any heavy electrical equipment you have and use a small solar panel and clear roof panels for lighting.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,065

do you have to rebrace the roof for the added weight?
what happens when the roofing needs to be changed?? do you have to have the panels reinstalled... and what is that cost??