SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Redfish

Cash: 724
Default Question for dog guys

I have a 9 month old lab. She does great going to pick up ducks while hunting and coming back. But when she gets to the bank or blind she drops it. She has never done this before so I was wondering if there was any kind of training I could do with her so she will bring it all the way to me?
Old 11-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Flounder

Cash: 669

Force Fetch/ Hold is the most common training method you can use. Do you have any local people you train with that have done this before? It is one of those things that can be difficult to do for the first time.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

Quit shooting so many spoonbills!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

YouTube force fetching methods.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,044

I think Raymond posted a video on here a while back on forcing.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:10 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

What they said force fetching is the key to solving that.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunforeman View Post
I think Raymond posted a video on here a while back on forcing.
Brent, I looked for it Friday and couldn't find. If you know where it is please bring it back up. If I remember correctly, it was walking fetch with a pinch collar.

Back to OP ?, they drop getting out of water so they can shake. Non F/F dog may or may not pick up the bird and deliver. 98% of all dogs hunting are not F/F because it's not a priority for the owner. F/F that hound!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

General Discussion (Everything Else): YouTube - SaltyCajun.com

thread to videos
Old 11-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Redfish

Cash: 729

I suggest you invest in some training books. Its very difficult to pick out one thing and try and get the results that are desired. Most training programs go through a sequence steps to get the end result. Force Fetch/Force Hold is a very "pressure" intensive. Your dog needs to have been taught in basic obedience on how to respond to pressure. If you try to go straight into force fetch with out the proper steps leading up to it, you will make matters worse. This is why I say go buy a training program book or dvd. Here are some I would recommend.:

The 10-Minute Retriever: How to Make an Obedient and Enthusiastic Gun Dog in 10 Minutes a Day by John Dahl , Amy Dahl (I believe this is a great book for amateur trainers that are not looking to train a field trial dog)

Smartworks Volume One by Evan Graham (This is part of a series of books and dvds that gets very advanced. Pretty highly rated in the training community.)

Total Retriever by Mike Lardy (This is a series that gets very advanced. Probably the highest ranked, but the most costly.)

I have a dvd i will look up when I get home that is pretty good.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,044

Thanks homerun
Old 11-21-2013, 11:27 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7722 View Post
I suggest you invest in some training books. Its very difficult to pick out one thing and try and get the results that are desired. Most training programs go through a sequence steps to get the end result. Force Fetch/Force Hold is a very "pressure" intensive. Your dog needs to have been taught in basic obedience on how to respond to pressure. If you try to go straight into force fetch with out the proper steps leading up to it, you will make matters worse. This is why I say go buy a training program book or dvd. Here are some I would recommend.:

The 10-Minute Retriever: How to Make an Obedient and Enthusiastic Gun Dog in 10 Minutes a Day by John Dahl , Amy Dahl (I believe this is a great book for amateur trainers that are not looking to train a field trial dog)

Smartworks Volume One by Evan Graham (This is part of a series of books and dvds that gets very advanced. Pretty highly rated in the training community.)

Total Retriever by Mike Lardy (This is a series that gets very advanced. Probably the highest ranked, but the most costly.)

I have a dvd i will look up when I get home that is pretty good.

Hope this helps.
Force fetch the pup, it's at the perfect age. Lardy and Graham's videos are very good but probably more meat than what you're looking for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-22-2013, 12:10 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

what about "water dog" ? Anybody have an opinion on it...
Old 11-22-2013, 12:21 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
what about "water dog" ? Anybody have an opinion on it...
Not detailed enough on force fetching, but a good read for anyone looking to train their first dog. I have it if you want to borrow it.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:25 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
Not detailed enough on force fetching, but a good read for anyone looking to train their first dog. I have it if you want to borrow it.
Not really... Just messing with Raymond
Old 11-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Not really... Just messing with Raymond
That one is so old I heard it as a baby.
Better go catch those Goats before they get in the road.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
That one is so old I heard it as a baby.
Better go catch those Goats before they get in the road.
Hahaha
Old 11-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Flounder

Cash: 751

My father-in-law used to be into dog training. I'm sure there are differing opinions, but he always had a friend force fetch his dogs and he forced his friends dogs. He did not think it was a good idea to force your own dog due to the intensity and negative reinforcement involved.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Redfish

Cash: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
My father-in-law used to be into dog training. I'm sure there are differing opinions, but he always had a friend force fetch his dogs and he forced his friends dogs. He did not think it was a good idea to force your own dog due to the intensity and negative reinforcement involved.
I forced fetched my own dog and it has in no way had a negative impact. She would follow me everywhere I go if I would let her. In my option, your dog will perform for you better if you are the one working with her.

IMO force fetch is the only way to go. Its the only way to insure that your dog is going to retrieve when the going gets tough. Dogs retrieve because they like to retrieve, but sooner are later you are going to get in a situation where the dog doesn't want to retrieve. Force fetch turns retrieving into a command. Its no different than teaching sit. You command your dog to sit and he doesn't sit, he gets reprimanded. The dog learns that he better sit even if he doesn't want to. So when its 20 degrees out and the water is icy and you command your dog to fetch, he fetches because he knows if he doesn't there will be consequences.

Alot of retriever training is teaching your dog how to deal with pressure. Things are not always going to be fun for the dog, and you have to train the dog to deal with these situations. Naturally a dog may want to retreat from these situations or just quite. Examples will be a very cold day, very thick brush, maybe the dog is getting tired at the end of the day, etc. You are training the dog that to relieve the pressure, they need to complete the command. So when teaching sit, you apply pressure to the dog when he doesn't sit. When he does sit you relieve the pressure. When force fetching you apply pressure until the dog fetches and then you relieve the pressure.

Can you apply too much pressure? Yes. You have to read the dog and all dogs are different. If your not comfortable with this, a trainer is the way to go.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Sailfish

Lets go deeper, a dog will never Handle if its not FF. you can play all the baseball,softball and kickball with them in the backyard but they will NEVER run a blind like they're supposed to without the tools FF gives them.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Flounder

Cash: 703

Look up Freddy King dog training on you tube . No need to buy any books or dvd's unless you really want to get into the field tral side of it. He takes a new dog and pretty much trains him as good as any duck hunter would want. Its 27 videos and very easy to follow and free