SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 01-10-2018, 07:42 PM
Flounder

Cash: 755
Default Guide to fish marsh

I have had to sell my boat due to health issues, this past summer, and will now be doing my fishing with a guide. I went with a well known guide in the Dularge area in November and had an enjoyable trip but was not exactly what i wanted so I am looking for other recommendations. I have looked at countless guide websites and what I generally see is pics of customers with wheelbarrow's of trout and a few bull reds thrown in. This is not what I want to do. I enjoy fishing the marsh for keeper reds. Don't want to target the bulls. Like to catch some trout early in the morning but then I want to spend the rest of the day chasing 18'-24" keeper reds. All of the guides that I have spoken with say they can offer this type of fishing but it is easy to tell their primary focus is on trout. I understand this is what most of their customers want but this is not what I want.

If anyone knows of a guide that would fit my need, it would be appreciated if you would pass along his name. I am not married to one area of the coast and will go to where the guide is.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Charlie
Old 01-10-2018, 08:00 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,480

Millertime guide service. Travis Miller Dularge. Tell him what you want and he’ll accommodate
Old 01-11-2018, 10:57 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,732

Boudreaux's guide service in Hackberry will do exactly what you want
Old 01-11-2018, 10:59 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Go east if you want to catch reds in the marsh. Hopedale, Delacroix, shell beach
Old 01-12-2018, 12:10 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 683

Capt Jeremy Waltrip has been smashing the reds lately on Big Lake.....337-789-9002
Old 01-12-2018, 01:05 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 632

Capt. Lee daughdrill
calcasieu point charters
has private marsh red fishing best in area
337-540 2328
Old 01-13-2018, 05:49 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Go east if you want to catch reds in the marsh. Hopedale, Delacroix, shell beach
Only if you want to just anchor on points with live shrimp under a cork.

Chad Billiot in Leeville 985 637-5058 will gladly work the ponds with artificials.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:57 PM
Flounder

Cash: 755

I'm the OP and want to thank all of you who offered advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Charlie
Old 01-16-2018, 09:41 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,024

Captain Herman Demoll in venice. Fished with him in August and it was an experience like I had never had. He runs a 24ft Xpress like its a gator tail and is not afraid to run that marsh. Been fishing in boats my whole life and have never been in a boat with a guy that can run trails like that and push his gear to get to the fish. We caught a good amount of reds and lost track of how many areas we fished. He is a local guy that grew up a 3rd our 4th generation commercial fisherman and started guiding a couple years ago. Look up Cajun culture fishing charters.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:48 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,024

https://youtu.be/f4juUqDvt08
This was from our trip
Old 01-17-2018, 12:13 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm View Post
I have had to sell my boat due to health issues, this past summer, and will now be doing my fishing with a guide. I went with a well known guide in the Dularge area in November and had an enjoyable trip but was not exactly what i wanted so I am looking for other recommendations. I have looked at countless guide websites and what I generally see is pics of customers with wheelbarrow's of trout and a few bull reds thrown in. This is not what I want to do. I enjoy fishing the marsh for keeper reds. Don't want to target the bulls. Like to catch some trout early in the morning but then I want to spend the rest of the day chasing 18'-24" keeper reds. All of the guides that I have spoken with say they can offer this type of fishing but it is easy to tell their primary focus is on trout. I understand this is what most of their customers want but this is not what I want.

If anyone knows of a guide that would fit my need, it would be appreciated if you would pass along his name. I am not married to one area of the coast and will go to where the guide is.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Charlie

Charlie, most of the specialty "fly fishing" guides in the state target redfish in shallow water, almost exclusively sight fishing. In the winter they tend to target bulls but spring through late summer they are usually happy to fish the backwater ponds for slot fish. Some offer light tackle as well as fly fishing. These guys will push pole you around, pointing out fish for you to cast to. Search the fly fishing guides then inquire if they do spin/light tackle as well and you will be in good shape. Also ask about keeping fish, some of them are C&R only.